Nurturing creative talent is not as simple as throwing money at it - Jim Ryan (Sony)

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
And that would cost money.

Microsoft wasn’t willing to invest extra money.

What are y’all confused about?? Really??

I’m not arguing that it cost money to make games, it just that microsoft is a lot less risk adverse and it shows. They’ve been surviving purely on 3 franchises for over a decade.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I should’ve known this was the angle you’re arguing from.:snoop:

I’m the last person to have a romanticized vision of Sony. I just like giving credit where credit is due.
Agree to disagree though.
I’m arguing from the angle of truth.

A publishers job is literally to invest money. That’s why they exist. So for a publishers to pretend they aren’t “throwing money” at a dev is completely asinine. Especially on top of the fact that he pursues deals where he pays money to prevent games and content from going to other platforms. All Sony does is “throw money at devs” , and that’s not a bad thing cause that’s what they are supposed to do.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’m not arguing that it cost money to make games, it just that microsoft is a lot less risk adverse and it shows. They’ve been surviving purely on 3 franchises for over a decade.
Until recently Microsoft didn’t own very many studios. They have a couple franchises that print money every time out. It made absolutely no sense for them to use their internal dev studios to take chances on unproven games. They had a strategy of signing deals with 3rd parties for exclusive games, but that didn’t work because those studios would then move on to other deals.

Now they need a constant stream of content for Gamepass so they need a bunch of studios.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m arguing from the angle of truth.

A publishers job is literally to invest money. That’s why they exist. So for a publishers to pretend they aren’t “throwing money” at a dev is completely asinine. Especially on top of the fact that he pursues deals where he pays money to prevent games and content from going to other platforms. All Sony does is “throw money at devs” , and that’s not a bad thing cause that’s what they are supposed to do.
Two of Sony’s best studios Insomniac and Naughty Dog came from Universal Interactive. Sony kinda was able to kick back and let such companies come to them in part due to Nintendo. This is why Sony doesn’t own Crash or Spyro but was making commercials for those products. They let both those studios make many games through that third party publisher before purchasing them.

I would say the development environment isn’t like that now. Microsoft does help small studios via Game Pass deals but if you gonna have a AAA studio now it’s likely through an acquisition. You do get some studios like 343 and the Initiative that the company forms but not many. The budgets for AAA games are too high for studios to sprout up like that. These major publishers like EA are gonna wanna own you. You not getting a plucky team of devs making successful games for years under a major publisher that’s not looking to buy them out.

Turn 10 is a good studio. Playground is also good and both of those were pretty much fostered by Microsoft. The Coalition also heavily developed under Microsoft. Microsoft has good studios they just stuck them on making the same IPs over and over again.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Two of Sony’s best studios Insomniac and Naughty Dog came from Universal Interactive. Sony kinda was able to kick back and let such companies come to them in part due to Nintendo. This is why Sony doesn’t own Crash or Spyro but was making commercials for those products. They let both those studios make many games through that third party publisher before purchasing them.

I would say the development environment isn’t like that now. Microsoft does help small studios via Game Pass deals but if you gonna have a AAA studio now it’s likely through an acquisition. You do get some studios like 343 and the Initiative that the company forms but not many. The budgets for AAA games are too high for studios to sprout up like that. These major publishers like EA are gonna wanna own you. You not getting a plucky team of devs making successful games for years under a major publisher that’s not looking to buy them out.

Turn 10 is a good studio. Playground is also good and both of those were pretty much fostered by Microsoft. The Coalition also heavily developed under Microsoft. Microsoft has good studios they just stuck them on making the same IPs over and over again.
Any studio that makes a hit like Halo, Forza, etc. will keep making sequels over and over again.

No one wants to admit it but the reason Guerilla, and Sucker punch were able to try new IPs this gen is because their previous franchises weren’t that great. Now that they have hit franchises they will undoubtedly make lots of sequels.

Insomniac will be making Spiderman and ratchet games.

Polyphany will make more Gran Turismo, and so on

It goes for pretty much every studio. They all want a hit franchise that they can keep printing money with.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Any studio that makes a hit like Halo, Forza, etc. will keep making sequels over and over again.

No one wants to admit it but the reason Guerilla, and Sucker punch were able to try new IPs this gen is because their previous franchises weren’t that great. Now that they have hit franchises they will undoubtedly make lots of sequels.

It goes for pretty much every studio. They all want a hit franchise that they can keep printing money with.
Weren't great in terms of what?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

I guess there’s truth to that because Sony Santa Monica has been making God of War games for the last decade and a half. The studios that hit it big on a franchise get stuck mostly making that franchise and the ones that are a more modest success or not at all get to make other games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I guess there’s truth to that because Sony Santa Monica has been making God of War games for the last decade and a half. The studios that hit it big on a franchise get stuck mostly making that franchise and the ones that are a more modest success or not at all get to make other games.
They are making a new ip right now

Santa Monica's New IP Is Going To Be Fantasy-Based

And uncharted was a big deal when ND made TLOU so I’m not seeing how this adds up. Uncharted 3 was the 5th best selling game in PlayStation history.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land