Not only does the PS5 not favor game preservation, but certain PS3 games are unable to get patches n

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
but I was told when you buy a physical game, you "own" it, and should have no problem playing it in 20 years :sas2:
What's the difference between a game you buy on Steam vs GOG? The article says nothing about people being unable to play the physical games listed.

JerseyFinest!

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Trenton, New Jerz
Y’all are weird

Why wouldn’t you want to be able to play any game from whatever gen with upgraded graphics all in one easy to navigate set-up.

instead y’all say stuff like “go plug up your old PS3” it’s mind-boggling to me

instead of putting the pressure on Sony to do something they’re easily capable of.

I remember when Live was the selling more then 2k. I use to tell dudes Live is falling off you gotta start rocking with 2K and give it a chance, Dudes we’re so stuck in their ways, it went in one ear out the other. It took till 2011 for them to finally see the light.

Plus After support we gave them last gen.

Fanboy ish is the reason Nintendo does the wack ish they be doing.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
What's the difference between a game you buy on Steam vs GOG? The article says nothing about people being unable to play the physical games listed.

my point is modern physical games require online support to work properly. there's been some recent games with hardly any data on the physical disc

it won't be a big problem for most PS3-era games, since they weren't so reliant on patches. but a lot of the games coming out now will be useless without online support

the argument against digital games is that you will no longer have access to the games if the servers go down. my point is physical games won't be much better

and in general this won't be as much of a problem on PC, since you can still have fan-made patches, mods, and other user-made support

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
my point is modern physical games require online support to work properly. there's been some recent games with hardly any data on the physical disc

it won't be a big problem for most PS3-era games, since they weren't so reliant on patches. but a lot of the games coming out now will be useless without online support

the argument against digital games is that you will no longer have access to the games if the servers go down. my point is physical games won't be much better

and in general this won't be as much of a problem on PC, since you can still have fan-made patches, mods, and other user-made support
I see the precedence for that but one would hope with last-gen games being mostly reliant upon patches and whatnot that this doesn't happen with any PS4 games for the foreseeable future. With PC you still gotta jump through hoops to play or use something that gets no support like for example Halo 2 on Vista or Gears 1 on PC(Before they eventually got re-released).

Insensitive

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Only people who care about this are people who have nothing to play (Xbots)
this has been a big deal everywhere man.
It's not even a console wars thing.
Retro gamers, contemporary gamers who grew up with the ps3, people just
coming into gaming period and purchasing ps3's and 360's for the first time (they exist!)
are all walking into not being able whole swath's of the ps3 library.

I've mentioned it before but my ps5 is right next to my ps3 and now several games I own
I might not even be able to play if my hard drive ever fails or my ps3 dies and I need a replacement
I'm basically just shyt out of luck.

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
this has been a big deal everywhere man.
It's not even a console wars thing.
Retro gamers, contemporary gamers who grew up with the ps3, people just
coming into gaming period and purchasing ps3's and 360's for the first time (they exist!)
are all walking into not being able whole swath's of the ps3 library.

I've mentioned it before but my ps5 is right next to my ps3 and now several games I own
I might not even be able to play if my hard drive ever fails or my ps3 dies and I need a replacement
I'm basically just shyt out of luck.

time moves forward brother, its how shyt works

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
why patch a 2 gen old game when you can just remaster it, remake it and charge $70 for it??? :dahell:
Learn from the best
iu

iu
:win:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
I’ve given my thoughts as nauseam on Sony’s lack of backwards compatibility and my stance on physical vs digital. My stance hasn’t changed a bit. My physical game collection can’t be delisted and will always hold more value (both financially and emotionally) than a digital license.
Your game library is rented anyway @MeachTheMonster so why does this topic concern you? :heh:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I’ve given my thoughts as nauseam on Sony’s lack of backwards compatibility and my stance on physical vs digital. My stance hasn’t changed a bit. My physical game collection can’t be delisted and will always hold more value (both financially and emotionally) than a digital license.
Your game library is rented anyway @MeachTheMonster so why does this topic concern you? :heh:
Well if you are following along. If Sony doesn’t step in and fix something your physical titles will eventually become useless.

As of now unless you have all the patches and extra content from your PS3 games you will no longer be able to access that content.

Seems if you want to preserve your game library you are gonna have to invest in some digital backup solutions, just like people who purchase digitally. :mjpls:

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Well if you are following along. If Sony doesn’t step in and fix something your physical titles will eventually become useless.

As of now unless you have all the patches and extra content from your PS3 games you will no longer be able to access that content.

Seems if you want to preserve your game library you are gonna have to invest in some digital backup solutions, just like people who purchase digitally. :mjpls:
:yeshrug:Financial and emotional value. I’m in it more for the nostalgia. In any case digital vs physical I could still end up without access to a purchase or unable to use it to its full extent. This particular topic doesn’t really sway my purchase habits.
Coincidentally this new gen I’ve been 100% digital so far. Motivated 100% by my ability to use one license across 3 consoles so my kids can play vs buying 3 copies. In that case, the financial benefit far outweighs my general preference for physical collectibility/nostalgia.
End of the day, you know well enough Sony doesn’t get the slightest pass from me for their piss poor excuses for no backwards compatibility.
I like their games better than Xbox games overall but screw PSnow, gaikai, Sony ports/remasters, and the PS3 cell technology along with its fabled inability to be emulated.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:yeshrug:Financial and emotional value. I’m in it more for the nostalgia. In any case digital vs physical I could still end up without access to a purchase or unable to use it to its full extent. This particular topic doesn’t really sway my purchase habits.
Coincidentally this new gen I’ve been 100% digital so far. Motivated 100% by my ability to use one license across 3 consoles so my kids can play vs buying 3 copies. In that case, the financial benefit far outweighs my general preference for physical collectibility/nostalgia.
End of the day, you know well enough Sony doesn’t get the slightest pass from me for their piss poor excuses for no backwards compatibility.
I like their games better than Xbox games overall but screw PSnow, gaikai, Sony ports/remasters, and the PS3 cell technology along with its fabled inability to be emulated.
They will hold little value if they can’t be played. They will literally just be boxes on your wall.
Critical PS3 internal clock error and its aftermath

When the cmos battery dies in the PS3 you will no longer be able to play lots of games and/or DLC.

With the PS3 servers closing you won’t be able to check in even with a new battery installed.

Sony just set a ticking bomb of obsolescence for tons of software.

The same holds true for PS4 but at least you can play those on PS5, but hell you might need a patch to play them there.

I understand you stan Sony games but this probably should influence your purchasing habits for 3rd party games if game preservation is a priority to you.