Not everything that glitters is GOLD: The Official 49ers 2013 Season Thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I'm gonna play devil's advocate and take LaMichael Jame's side. He was a 2nd round draft pick and he was expected to play a sort of Darren Sproles role. Granted he was a luxury pick but still. He should not be so vocal about his woes, but on the same token, we can't keep guys of his talent level and keep him rotting on the bench. Like I said before, we really don't need this guy like that. Frank Gore seems to be almost turning back time and Kendall Hunter is good enough to be a #1 if need be, also low key Dixon has stepped up and Bruce Miller is one of the best all purpose fullbacks in the NFL. Roman and Rathman need to find snaps for this kid and if not trade him or make him a part of a package for a WR we need infinitely more. Once Lattimore is healthy by next year, how does this kid fit in? Let's move him.
I'll have to respectably disagree. where he was drafted should be largely irrelevant, especially on a stacked team like the 49ers. shyt, we drafted aj in the first and didnt activate him until we were out of WRs :laugh:
now, is he probably underutilized and his skillset kinda not fitting ? yea, and I wouldnt be surprised he plays better with a team that caters to him more.

airing that shyt out on twitter is unacceptable, and even worse is his silly excuses that the tweets dont have anything to do with football. its just bad trolling.
Im a firm believer in the "dont go behind someones back to the media" mantra, and I know Harbs hates the media. so lmj subliminally dissing him being inactive is a shot at harbaugh as well.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
he doesnt fit in, this offense doesnt throw passes to the rb. i think they should, i think you can get large chunks of yards with throws to gore/hunter/james

its just something they dont do well for whatever reason
its really baffling why we are so allergic to screens and checkdowns and creatively getting the ball in our RBs hands. seeing how the WR core is underwhelming, it would be entirely logical.
this is one aspect I just do not get about the harroman offense. its also the thing that makes teams blitz the gaps, knowing we dont have hot reads or dump offs to RBs in our repertoire.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I've read backlash about Kaep's commercials. It's downright retarded. Especially when you consider contracts are not guaranteed. I'm sure when Kaep's out of football and has no money from turning down endorsements he'll get these fools to support him.

LMJ is a clown. Dude talks too much. I have no issue getting rid of him.

Our run D scares me in this upcoming game. I can see Chris Johnson killing us up the gut. Reinforcements can't come soon enough. Luckily Fitzpatrick should keep us in the game with his mistakes.

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
On this whole LMJ thing, I can see his frustration, but it is what it is. I'm not going to go so far as to say he's not good enough to get on the field, but I don't think we'd be losing anything by deactivating Anthony Dixon in favor of LMJ, ESPECIALLY for an offense that needs all the weapons it can get.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
On this whole LMJ thing, I can see his frustration, but it is what it is. I'm not going to go so far as to say he's not good enough to get on the field, but I don't think we'd be losing anything by deactivating Anthony Dixon in favor of LMJ, ESPECIALLY for an offense that needs all the weapons it can get.

Anthony Dixon has grown into a very good blocker and short yardage back, furthermore guy is a boon on special teams. Which leads to the realization that in order to be a successful back on our team you need to be versatile, but most importantly you must be a good blocker. Anthony Dixon is basically the new Michael Robinson (who is a good fullback in Seattle)

I'll have to respectably disagree. where he was drafted should be largely irrelevant, especially on a stacked team like the 49ers. shyt, we drafted aj in the first and didnt activate him until we were out of WRs :laugh:
now, is he probably underutilized and his skillset kinda not fitting ? yea, and I wouldnt be surprised he plays better with a team that caters to him more.

airing that shyt out on twitter is unacceptable, and even worse is his silly excuses that the tweets dont have anything to do with football. its just bad trolling.
Im a firm believer in the "dont go behind someones back to the media" mantra, and I know Harbs hates the media. so lmj subliminally dissing him being inactive is a shot at harbaugh as well.

Drafting for the future is risky and we're paying for it. AJ was a crap receiver and we underestimated Frank Gore's shelf life and Anthony Dixons resolve, this is why we are in the debacle we're in now.I agree about keeping dirty laundry in house, but dude was a high profile college player, and he is an explosive talent, that we aren't utilizing. It's not right but I understand. Dude wants to play football and get out there and show what he has. We are overloaded at RB and slim at WR so why not trade to a team willing to part with a WR, even if we have to throw draft picks in there. It's apparent that our 3 RBs are going nowhere and we have Marcus Lattimore waiting in the wings. LaMichael James far more valuable as a trade piece than as a runningback as it stands now.

Last edited:

B90X

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NINER EMPIRE
Anthony Dixon has grown into a very good blocker and short yardage back, furthermore guy is a boon on special teams. Which leads to the realization that in order to be a successful back on our team you need to be versatile, but most importantly you must be a good blocker. Anthony Dixon is basically the new Michael Robinson (who is a good fullback in Seattle)

I don't necessarily agree with that. Kendall Hunter doesn't play special teams at all and is a successful back. Furthermore, Dixon isn't a special teams ace, he's just the most recognizable person on Special Teams outside of Spillman because he's been on special teams the longest.
Let's be reality, he isn't the first one down the field blowing up the returner; He's an above average special teams player, but is having him activated really adding that much more to our team than having LMJ activated? If Dixon wasn't activated on game days, would anybody even really know?

As far as the "short yardage" back thing goes, anything Dixon can pick up, Frank can pick up, too. We might as well just let Frank work the short yardage.

LMJ at last gives us another element in the offense. On Sunday when they threw that screen pass to Dixon, what was your honest reaction?
Now, throw that same screen pass to LMJ, and what would your reaction be?

We're a team that's struggling to make explosive plays on offense for the most part. Having the threat of LMJ could open up things for other people. Deactivating him for Dixon on account of 1-2 short yardage plays a game and above average special teams play doesn't really make that much sense to me. That's all I'm sayin...

Dat916nigga

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i still think that lamichael is in the team's long term plans along with hunter and lattimore. gore's deal is up after next season and dixon's deal is up after this season. there's no other RB on the team with lamichael's skillset and dumping him now is premature imo

yeah nobody likes that he complains on twitter too much but the fact is that he made a huge contribution on a super bowl team last year when he got his chance. unlike aj, we've at least seen glimpses of what lamichael can do. i honestly think that harbs and the coaching staff are keeping lmj in their hip pocket and will use him creatively down the line to catch teams off guard, kinda similar to how they went pistol/read-option heavy in the playoffs

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I don't necessarily agree with that. Kendall Hunter doesn't play special teams at all and is a successful back. Furthermore, Dixon isn't a special teams ace, he's just the most recognizable person on Special Teams outside of Spillman because he's been on special teams the longest.
Let's be reality, he isn't the first one down the field blowing up the returner; He's an above average special teams player, but is having him activated really adding that much more to our team than having LMJ activated? If Dixon wasn't activated on game days, would anybody even really know?

As far as the "short yardage" back thing goes, anything Dixon can pick up, Frank can pick up, too. We might as well just let Frank work the short yardage.

LMJ at last gives us another element in the offense. On Sunday when they threw that screen pass to Dixon, what was your honest reaction?

We're a team that's struggling to make explosive plays on offense for the most part. Having the threat of LMJ could open up things for other people. Deactivating him for Dixon on account of 1-2 short yardage plays a game and above average special teams play doesn't really make that much sense to me. That's all I'm sayin...

I don't disagree but for whatever reason the coaching staff sees more immediate value in Dixon than James.

Kendall Hunter is a very good all around back, if he was a better blocker, he'd be almost perfect. I'm just saying they could have cut Dixon in the preseason if they only thought he was just an ok special teams player, at the end of the day he's on the roster and contibutes in multiple ways. LMJ can contribute in only one way, even if that way can be gamebreaking if utilized properly. Our offense is built on consistency not all or nothing type players like LaMichael James (as he currently is). Yea throwing screen passes to Dixon is baffling but why not put James out there because he is missing the versatility needed to thrive on our offense furthermore, how ofter do we run the screen, almost never.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
the problem with this is that LMJ is by far our worst blocker. we already have teams blitzing right at us. Gore is one of the best blockers in the league, easily top 3-5. Hunter is solid and Dixon got much better in blocking.
screen to dixon was weird, but at least it was a checkdown for some short positive yardage. we havent seen many of those.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
and who is respecting LMJ ? sure hes more threatening than Bruce Miller or Snyder lining up wide (Im stil LOLing at that)....but again hes a liability in pass pro and I dont think many defenders will take him seriously before he proves anything. the biggest plays in his career have been returns.

LMJ had his chance last year and wasnt that impressive. wasnt impressive against bums in preseason either.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
the problem with this is that LMJ is by far our worst blocker. we already have teams blitzing right at us. Gore is one of the best blockers in the league, easily top 3-5. Hunter is solid and Dixon got much better in blocking.
screen to dixon was weird, but at least it was a checkdown for some short positive yardage. we havent seen many of those.

The Giants originally cut D'arell Scott for the same reason even though he is far and away their most explosive runner.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
The Giants originally cut D'arell Scott for the same reason even though he is far and away their most explosive runner.
so ? don't really see how this relates to anything...I think we would be able to get some value for LMJ in a trade, if that's what you're saying...

dza

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area.
What roman and them need to do is throw LMJ in the slot, a dude that explosive shouldn't be sitting on the bench.