Not everything that glitters is GOLD: The Official 49ers 2013 Season Thread

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I think talent is measurable, though - he's fast/athletic, but doesn't have the *immeasurable* qualities to compliment his talents.
Take Boldin, for instance - he's slow, but strong, yet he knows how to make the most of his talents to make himself a success.
yea, although I think its pointless to compare these guys. Boldin being slow as a detriment is imo highly exaggerated because speed is really not that big of a factor unless you run a go route. he still a top-notch hands receiver who runs great routes and knows of ways to get open against zone.Id compare boldin to tony g. theyre both slow but both can get open and catch the ball among defenders, both extremely smart, leaders and have great hands

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
Baalke got too cute with that AJ pick. Baldwin is a big body receiver that can't catch. Hopefully he'll contribute.

I think we upgraded, at least we got a guy with some size, it was addition by subtraction in a sense. I never liked the AJ pick, especially in the 1st round. You don't pick projects in the 1st round, you gotta pick prototypical guys who can contribute right away. His number got called and he flaked. Andy Reid might be able to do something with him but it wouldn't work in our scheme. We don't neccesarily need speed guys but we need crisp routes and good hands.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1) he will be open more often than aj
2) boldin has proven he can catch even when throw not perfect/hes covered. aj hasnt at all.

boldin will be the go-to guy on 3rd downs this year, mark my words. qbs wouldnt trust aj because he either couldnt get open or fukked up

I have no problem with boldin, im just repeating what you said. u said harbaugh doesnt like throwing to covered wrs

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
I have no problem with boldin, im just repeating what you said. u said harbaugh doesnt like throwing to covered wrs
right, when there are others open, I fully expect kaep to throw to them.
but when they arent and you want to force it (which wont be often but still), it will be to boldin because kaep will trust him. tough to trust aj to make a catch against good coverage

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
in general, Im pretty happy about the trade

baldwin isnt great but he has better athletic ability, and while he is extremely inconsistent and prone to serious dropsies, he also had far more success with shyttier qbs. like someone on here said ( think it was @DirtyDee), 40 receptions is hell of better than zero.
also dude is 6-4, 230 so while we have many similar wideouts to jenkins we dont really have anyone big besides Boldin
plus if baldwin can focus and get his head right on a superbowl contender, he has talent to be a #3 at least. Im not sure aj has that talent even in potential

plus it doesnt take much to be better than aj at this point, just catch a couple of balls and dont fumble and youre there, lol

Ive read somewhere that AJ is the first first rounder since 2000 to be traded or cut after his rookie year :wow:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
in general, Im pretty happy about the trade

baldwin isnt great but he has better athletic ability, and while he is extremely inconsistent and prone to serious dropsies, he also had far more success with shyttier qbs. like someone on here said ( think it was @DirtyDee), 40 receptions is hell of better than zero.
also dude is 6-4, 230 so while we have many similar wideouts to jenkins we dont really have anyone big besides Boldin
plus if baldwin can focus and get his head right on a superbowl contender, he has talent to be a #3 at least. Im not sure aj has that talent even in potential

plus it doesnt take much to be better than aj at this point, just catch a couple of balls and dont fumble and youre there, lol

Ive read somewhere that AJ is the first first rounder since 2000 to be traded or cut after his rookie year :wow:

shyt if the guy can be an asset in run-blocking (which according to KC fans he can do well) he has already done more than AJ Jenkins.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
my opinion of this trade, i think when u draft a project u stick with that project for at least 2-3 years. they knew that when they drafted him and to throw him to the bushes this quick is a failure on their part

now i think this trade can be positive, baldwin brings size at the wr spot which the niners dont have. im sure hes a good jumper and can be a good goaline jump guy if he makes the team. overall now we really have to hope patton pans out cause this whole wr ordeal is simply depressing.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
my opinion of this trade, i think when u draft a project u stick with that project for at least 2-3 years. they knew that when they drafted him and to throw him to the bushes this quick is a failure on their part
I think the problem with that is the advertised meritocracy approach. if you publicly say that you will have depth charts based on merit, and aj been outplayed by pretty much everyone worth a damn (hall, collie, moore, patton with one hand, etc) even against scrubs, what do you do ? give him a roster spot over someone who outperformed him just because hes a project ? that goes against that philosophy.

football doesnt have minors, too bad its not the early 2000s, we couldve sent him to NFL europe or somethin :heh:

Bigb41513

I ain’t lying we real San Francisco giants
Daps
Reppin
Bay area
The niners traded one bum for another :manny: I just it hope it works out for the niners dude is a big target

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
Wow @ aj being gone without a single catch for us. Dude must have been pure concentrated waste management sewer juice :trash: I knew he was bad but I was just thinking he would do like many receivers do and that's take a few years to develop.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the problem with that is the advertised meritocracy approach. if you publicly say that you will have depth charts based on merit, and aj been outplayed by pretty much everyone worth a damn (hall, collie, moore, patton with one hand, etc) even against scrubs, what do you do ? give him a roster spot over someone who outperformed him just because hes a project ? that goes against that philosophy.

well you kinda look at ian williams, even though he wasnt drafted he was a project on this team for over 2 years and now hes finally going to pay off. if your going to draft a project and just dump him in basically one year why draft him in the first place? i wonder if balke made this decision or harbaugh, harbaugh must of pushed for it. look the 5th wr doesnt play on game days anyways, keeping him over hall wouldnt of mattered in the long run

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Wow @ aj being gone without a single catch for us. Dude must have been pure concentrated waste management sewer juice :trash: I knew he was bad but I was just thinking he would do like many receivers do and that's take a few years to develop.

well he did make some preseason catches

Heretic

GOLDGANG...
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
well he did make some preseason catches
:russ: kinda how anthony dixon led the team in rushing last pre-season. It's a shame Aj only has one catch this preseason. You're right though, he had like 8 or 9 catches last preseason and I thought he would come along at some point.

yseJ

Empire strikes back
Daps
Reppin
The Yay
well you kinda look at ian williams, even though he wasnt drafted he was a project on this team for over 2 years and now hes finally going to pay off. if your going to draft a project and just dump him in basically one year why draft him in the first place? i wonder if balke made this decision or harbaugh, harbaugh must of pushed for it. look the 5th wr doesnt play on game days anyways, keeping him over hall wouldnt of mattered in the long run
but Ian Williams was on the team last years roster, wasnt he ? he wasnt in a position to get cut. also, we didnt really need a here and now production from him at NT so we could wait. we can't wait as much for a 1st round WR to produce, imo.

there might be something extra to this as well
Ive read someone say (take this with grain of salt) theyve heard barrows on radio and he said coaches basically told baalke to trade aj :manny:
this is prolly not true, because if it was Id hear it on more resources, but VD did say AJ has got to be more serious and shyt like that :manny: