satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
MTV needs to do live interview and performances. And mtv unplugged

shyt you can’t see on YouTube
LOL at live interviews. There are so many big name YouTube channels that cover music & do interviews, I don't see how it would help MTV. But I agree about MTV bring back shows like "Unplugged".

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
:troll: Reruns and reality shows and movies is our winning format. Whatever the Viacom license allows us we’re airing! Prepare for a Ridiculousness marathon, followed by Teen Mom 2 catch-up marathon then the entire Bring It On series, the TLC movie, Scary Movie 5 and then a block of Jersery Shore episodes. You’re welcome.
-Mtv Head Offices.

:lolbron:

Are u fukking serious??? :lolbron:

Yup, he's right.

I tuned in the first few days for educational purposes. I just wanted to see what people were listening to today and they just had like 1 or two performances

One of them was this dude named Playboy Carti, wbo has to be the WORST rapper I've ever heard

And the other were like these weird dancing White boys who do their own choreography

But that was like it.

I think they played like 1 video for like 20 seconds.

The host is this lame nikka in skinny jeans, who's like a fake Chris Tucker or something. Yeah, I"m not gonna watch this anymore

:hhh:So it’s white washed Teen Summit with a 2017 twist.

Wow, that's kind of a good description of what I watched

They had like these kids talking about immigration and shyt:russ: and I"m like:gucci:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
:lolbron:

Yup, he's right.

I tuned in the first few days for educational purposes. I just wanted to see what people were listening to today and they just had like 1 or two performances

One of them was this dude named Playboy Carti, wbo has to be the WORST rapper I've ever heard

And the other were like these weird dancing White boys who do their own choreography

But that was like it.

I think they played like 1 video for like 20 seconds.

The host is this lame nikka in skinny jeans, who's like a fake Chris Tucker or something. Yeah, I"m not gonna watch this anymore

Wow, that's kind of a good description of what I watched

They had like these kids talking about immigration and shyt:russ: and I"m like:gucci:
images

And dc young fly is like the 2017 Chris tucker... it’s as close as these 2017-agers will get.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Just saw this thread in TLR:

DEBRA "EVIL" LEE steps down as BET PRESIDENT..replaced by VIACOM Scott Mills

As Executive Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer at VIACOM INC, Scott M. Mills made $5,401,073 in total compensation. Of this total $1,750,000 was received as a salary, $1,375,000 was received as a bonus, $899,998 was received in stock options, $1,349,996 was awarded as stock and $26,079 came from other types of compensation. This information is according to proxy statements filed for the 2016 fiscal year.

Scott Mills takes over as BET's longtime president Debra Lee steps aside, but stays as CEO

Debra Lee, the networks' president, said that she will be leaving that role at the start of the year and handing oversight of daily operations to Scott Mills, currently an executive vice president and chief administrative officer at parent company Viacom.

Lee will retain her positions as BET Networks' chairman and CEO, concentrating on the company's engagement with communities. She will also advise Mills in his new role.

Contrefaire

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
West Coast
I'm sure anything I have to say has already been said here but fukk it.

MTV abandoned their core audience years ago and laughed while they did it. They rapidly removed all their staples (relegating some to MTV2).
It was a bad business decision from the start and even their target demographic told them so, yet they ignored it. There's no coming back from that.

Unlike networks like E! (as others mentioned), they completely overhauled their programming for the worst. E! retains viewers because they made a decision to continue to cater to their core audience while attempting to expand viewership, rather than saying "fukk you" to longtime viewers in the hopes of courting all new ones. E! is still the first channel my mom (and many others) turns to during Awards Season for "who wore it best" or whatever bullshyt. Not because they have the freshest content, but because they have the best takes and it's familiar.

Tf are people tuning into MTV for? In 168hrs of weekly programming, nothing they air has any sort of mass appeal. They can't even induce older millennials to watch again for nostalgic purposes because nothing is familiar. They brought back TRL to A) NOT show music videos and B) cater to the perceived interests of younger millennials and "homelanders" who don't even remember the original show. What's the point?

Their programming is largely trashy and awful and doesn't even cater to the lowest common denominator. Last time I watched MTV on purpose was when Jersey Shore was popular and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. And the kicker is, I didn't even watch the network. MTV.com streamed it for free and I watched it there.

The few remaining viewers they have WILL leave the moment TLC or whomever buys the rights for Teen Mom.

Last edited:

The Amerikkkan Idol

The Amerikkkan Nightmare
Daps
I'm sure anything I have to say has already been said here but fukk it.

MTV abandoned their core audience years ago and laughed while they did it. They rapidly removed all their staples (relegating some to MTV2).
It was a bad business decision from the start and even their target demographic told them so, yet they ignored it. There's no coming back from that.

Unlike networks like E! (as others mentioned), they completely overhauled their programming for the worst. E! retains viewers because they made a decision to continue to cater to their core audience while attempting to expand viewership, rather than saying "fukk you" to longtime viewers in the hopes of courting all new ones. E! is still the first channel my mom (and many others) turns to during Awards Season for "who wore it best" or whatever bullshyt. Not because they have the freshest content, but because they have the best takes and it's familiar.

Tf are people tuning into MTV for? In 168hrs of weekly programming, nothing they air has any sort of mass appeal. They can't even induce older millennials to watch again for nostalgic purposes because nothing is familiar. They brought back TRL to A) NOT show music videos and B) cater to the perceived interests of younger millennials and "homelanders" who don't even remember the original show. What's the point?

Their programming is largely trashy and awful and doesn't even cater to the lowest common denominator. Last time I watched MTV on purpose was when Jersey Shore was popular and I wanted to see what all the hype was about. And the kicker is, I didn't even watch the network. MTV.com streamed it for free and I watched it there.

The few remaining viewers they have WILL leave the moment TLC or whomever buys the rights for Teen Mom.

And THIS is what I was saying.

Everytime networks (or any business) forgets their identity, this is what happens

ESPN is going through the same shyt.

Meanwhile, as we said E! Channel will go on forever

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
This was announced earlier today:

But this update was put out an hour later:

Network president Chris McCarthy talks with THR about his plans to air versions of the franchise over three dayparts by summer.

Total Request Live, MTV's reboot of the former Carson Daly music and interview show, is not going anywhere. In fact, the Viacom-owned cable network plans to grow the franchise to include three different dayparts.

After TMZ posted that MTV was canceling the revived TRL, network president Chris McCarthy (who also oversees VH1 and Logo) spoke with The Hollywood Reporter about his plan to expand beyond the current afternoon edition — which, contrary to reports, will return in April as planned — as well as morning and late-night offshoots. All told, a version of TRL will air three times a day on the linear network starting this summer, McCarthy says.

"It's thriving. We're expanding the franchise and will have three TRLs by summer," McCarthy tells THR. (The revival's October premiere drew just 166,000 live same-day viewers.) "TRL has delivered incredible growth on linear, and we've experienced two to three times the growth in our video streams, and TRL is big piece of it — and that's why we're expanding it; we want more."

MTV has been quietly piloting an on-air late-night version of the franchise — Total Request Late-Night, which started Feb. 19 and has been airing twice a week at 11 p.m. — and will expand that to four nights a week come summer, McCarthy says. "It's a top three series at 11 p.m.," he notes of the evening series, which is up 188 percent among adults 18-34 over its previous programming.) The half-hour series is currently fronted by Girl Code breakout Nessa, though it is expected to add other rotating hosts. The late-night version will be part "aftershow" targeting some of MTV's tentpole programs — like Jersey Shore, for example — as well as music, live performances, celebrity guests and more. The series will launch full time — four nights a week — in the summer and target adults 18-34.

Also in the works for the summer is Total Request A.M., which will be a curated Spotify list of sorts and be a "pure music play," McCarthy says — without commercials — and feature a more traditional video countdown as well as music performances. A host for the morning version, which will run an hour a day, has not yet been determined. That is likely to launch in the summer. MTV is currently curating both the late-night and morning editions without a showrunner for the time being.

The afternoon version of TRL, which launched Oct. 2, will still return April 9 as planned as a two-hour block with its roster of rotating hosts and social media stars serving as correspondents. The series, which will feature music videos, interviews, performances and skits, will shift to focus on a younger demo — 12-24 — when it returns.

"We've always had the March hiatus planned," McCarthy says of the flagship afternoon edition. "We're expanding to target different demographics and dayparts. … All three [versions of TRL] will be airing by June. We have no plans of not having TRL on our linear network; there won't be a time when we don't have it on. The show has been killing it for us."

The afternoon TRL is broadcast live from a state-of-the-art studio that McCarthy had constructed in Times Square, behind the Viacom building where MTV's East Coast offices are housed. The executive hopes the space becomes a one-stop shop for concerts and other live events as he looks to elevate MTV's brand outside of the linear network.

TRL has been a big play for McCarthy, who has steered MTV away from scripted and focused more on its roots as a space for the hard-to-reach millennial viewers, the same demo who helped put the cable network on the map in the '80s. To that end, McCarthy has revived Jersey Shore, Fear Factor and other unscripted series as it looks to use pricey original scripted fare as quarterly tentpole events after wrapping Teen Wolf last year.