No thread on the "school choice" movement brewing in Republican states?

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
what does the research show about it once it's been implemented?

People love the idea of it and dislike it in practice.

At the end of the day it sounds like a way to funnel money to corporations that operate schools. Like the military industrial complex but this time for primary schools.

All of that "freedom to choose" sounds nice to your average yokel until the companies that run these schools deem your area to be unprofitable.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Notice he went ghost after this question. :mjlol:

Anybody with half a brain that regularly interacts with black people knows good and god damned well most black folks cannot send their kids to private school or home school them.

The schools I went to (Longfellow, Central, Paseo, and Westport) were 80%-99% black. Logistically speaking it would be impossible for any significant number of those black kids to get into private schools. They're in those schools to begin with due to redlining.

Most of these clowns do not operate in the real world and only exist online to rattle off political talking points.

Fred.

Then those black people don't actually understand the intention of these policies and maybe should read up on what southern cacs did after the supreme court forced them to integrate schools.

most people have no idea of the choices they get behind

The ones who know what's going on do
not approve of this. Unfortunately it's not at the top of the list for many of us until it's too late. Cacs stay pullin slick shyt and they don't care if the poor cacs get sacrificed in the shuffle.

Redlining school districts to keep blacks separate isn't working enough so now let's allocate tax payer and property tax money to underhandedly send white kids to white private schools run by wealthy whites who want that taxpayer money for their own pockets.

They are not slick

polls by who?:mjpls:

what does the research show about it once it's been implemented?

People love the idea of it and dislike it in practice.

It's crazy how people in here just absolutely refuse to accept that others might disagree with their political preferences. And if the people with the opinion happen to be Black, then clearly they have no idea what they're talking about, or there's no way they came to that conclusion on their own.

Support for these kinds of policies is close to 80% among Black people.

These people don't have time for politicians etc to "fix the system." Their kids need education in a safe environment now. In my experience (friends/family), most families end up sending their kids to local Catholic schools or charters that cater to disaffected parents who don't want to send their kids to a failing/substandard/dangerous public school. You're asking parents, many of them single moms etc, to make some type of political stand by continuing to send their kids to a shytty school just because the local teachers union is up in arms LMAO.

All these parents and kids are trapped in the middle of a political war. Right wingers vs teachers unions/mayors/school boards that are aligned with Dems. People living in real life understand nuance and the idea that even though a choice may not be perfect, if it's better than the status quo there's no harm in trying.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's crazy how people in here just absolutely refuse to accept that others might disagree with their political preferences. And if the people with the opinion happen to be Black, then clearly they have no idea what they're talking about, or there's no way they came to that conclusion on their own.

These people don't have time for politicians etc to "fix the system." Their kids need education in a safe environment now. In my experience (friends/family), most families end up sending their kids to local Catholic schools or charters that cater to disaffected parents who don't want to send their kids to a failing/substandard/dangerous public school. You're asking parents, many of them single moms etc, to make some type of political stand by continuing to send their kids to a shytty school just because the local teachers union is up in arms LMAO.

All these parents and kids are trapped in the middle of a political war. Right wingers vs teachers unions/mayors/school boards that are aligned with Dems. People living in real life understand nuance and the idea that even though a choice may not be perfect, if it's better than the status quo there's no harm in trying.
Oh but there is harm in trying. This is not about accepting disagreements, this is about republicacs deliberately dismantling the public school system with the clear aim of restricting access to education for black children.

Dipsey Doo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'm still here by the way. Not interested in having a continuing back and forth. I have my opinion, no one on TLR is changing any minds on this.

I'll just say that I'm glad my parents had a choice to send my sister and I to the local parochial school, then to send us to our failing and dangerous local public school. I just happen to think every parent should be able to have that choice.

Have a great day everyone.

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Polls have consistently shown for years that black people support school choice
Generally speaking, when republicans bring a nice shiny object to black people it's a good idea to leave it alone . Their whole platform exists to disenfranchise us, so all those supporters are misled.

Reminds me of opportunity zones.

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh but there is harm in trying. This is not about accepting disagreements, this is about republicacs deliberately dismantling the public school system with the clear aim of restricting access to education for black children.

And you expect a parent with kids to prioritize your political warfare wet dream over their immediate need to educate their kids in a safe environment?

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man

I've seen it in action. It sounds good to parents in distressed schools, but is a disaster in practice. Brain drain, funding loss, lack of support for disabled kids, and closed schools, not to mention the corruption inherent in so many public private partnerships.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My wife is a teacher here in SC and the dumb fukks of this state just elected a school choice candidate to be the state superintendent of education…

She got her degree illegally from a private Christian university and is about to fukk up this state something serious. Trying my damndest to get my wife to fukking leave this shyt but she loves what she does…

How did she do this and work in education?

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How did she do this and work in education?
Those small private colleges are a lifehack. You will pay exorbitant amounts for that piece of paper but you are garunteed to get it with little effort on your part, curved grading systems, etc. And they are also loosely accredited especially in professional programs so nobody will question the no-name university on your transcripts.

I briefly dated a nurse who broke this down for me, and I was like :ohhh::ohhh: once she stopped talking.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Those small private colleges are a lifehack. You will pay exorbitant amounts for that piece of paper but you are garunteed to get it with little effort on your part, curved grading systems, etc. And they are also loosely accredited especially in professional programs so nobody will question the no-name university on your transcripts.

I briefly dated a nurse who broke this down for me, and I was like :ohhh::ohhh: once she stopped talking.

Damn well shyt seems like that is a life hack especially if you can get a high profile position like that with it.

concise

Veteran
Daps
My wife is a teacher here in SC and the dumb fukks of this state just elected a school choice candidate to be the state superintendent of education…

She got her degree illegally from a private Christian university and is about to fukk up this state something serious. Trying my damndest to get my wife to fukking leave this shyt but she loves what she does…

Got her masters degree in 6 months and only because her position required a masters degree?

:wow:

Your state is screwed.