No thread on the "school choice" movement brewing in Republican states?

DatBoiHawk

HAWK
Daps
Reppin
Houston
I got you...

"School Choice" on its face is an education program where the state provides vouchers to parents that will cover the cost of tuition at a private school near them. Thereby, allowing a parent to send their kid to private school for free if they choose. The idea behind this is if more parents send their kids to private school, the more children will receive a quality education. More children will succeed educationally, go to college, etc.

There are several problematic things about these programs. However, where "School Choice" runs into its biggest problem is this: the money to cover the cost of these vouchers (tens of thousands of dollars annually per student). Rather than raise taxes or pull money from defunct state programs, state governments are redirecting money that would otherwise go to the state's public schools.

Less funding going to public schools to pay for School Choice voucher programs means that the students not lucky enough to receive a voucher will suffer with WORSE public schools. Students in public schools in poorer areas will suffer the most as the budget cuts will have a direct, negative impact on their ability to learn. Sadly, this will be the vast majority of students.

Outdated textbooks, overcrowded classrooms due to teacher shortages, little-to-no technology in the classroom, little-to-no extracurricular activities (sports, music, clubs, etc.) are already major issues in many, if not all, poorer public schools. Expect for these issues to worsen as School Choice programs start to take off.

As I said above, School Choice improves the education of the few, while destroying the education for the many.

I hope this makes things a little clearer for you.
So how do they decide who gets vouchers? And who decides who gets them?

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I keep stressing that people need to reverse that southern migration..that place is hell on earth

sanityovar8ted

OG Moma Coli....dat bytch Thowd!!!
Daps
Reppin
OAK CLIFF TX
DISD skool choice transfer program isn't private skools....it's academies magnets n other program based skools

DISD is really good

My son that graduated from untDallas graduated from Gilliam collegiate academy which is a public skool that they earned college credits along with their regular credits
My daughter graduated from New tech high skool earned college credits
My oldest son graduated from Conrad which had a culinary program

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
At the end of the day it sounds like a way to funnel money to corporations that operate schools. Like the military industrial complex but this time for primary schools.

All of that "freedom to choose" sounds nice to your average yokel until the companies that run these schools deem your area to be unprofitable.

This is exactly how it plays out.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is already huge in FL, gutting the public education system in favor of Charter Schools..

Spence

Superstar
Daps
This is already huge in FL, gutting the public education system in favor of Charter Schools..
It’s unfortunately where we are headed. Luckily teacher unions will stave it off for a while but once the unions get their pockets lined they will be on board too. It’s going to be the same model as the private prison system and class warfare will be even more present where poor kids will get an extremely poor education and keep them very low on the social ladder since it leads to low paying jobs/trajectory.
Education used to be a fantastic equalizer and the easiest ticket up out the hood, no longer the case anymore :beli: