No thread on the "school choice" movement brewing in Republican states?

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen it in action. It sounds good to parents in distressed schools, but is a disaster in practice. Brain drain, funding loss, lack of support for disabled kids, and closed schools, not to mention the corruption inherent in so many public private partnerships.

You really think 80% would support it if it's been a "disaster" for the friends, family, coworkers, neighbors etc that have sent their kids to the same schools? Are they perfect? Of course not. But compared to a lot of the public school alternatives, the unknown is clearly more attractive.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
You really think 80% would support it if it's been a "disaster" for the friends, family, coworkers, neighbors etc that have sent their kids to the same schools? Are they perfect? Of course not. But compared to a lot of the public school alternatives, the unknown is clearly more attractive.
In my experience, support is from two groups, people who have gotten into fancy schools on the program, and those who like it in theory. Kids with learning disabilities, and parents who have to deal with defunded and closed schools in the aftermath don't support it.

Marlow Stanfield

Superstar
Daps
In my experience, support is from two groups, people who have gotten into fancy schools on the program, and those who like it in theory. Kids with learning disabilities, and parents who have to deal with defunded and closed schools in the aftermath don't support it.
Add to it... in places like Oklahoma, the proposed voucher program will run on a raffle-based system. Thereby, giving parents the choice... to hope and pray their kid gets picked. Not to mention the various ways State govt can manipulate the system.

At the end of the day, not every student will get to go to a better school. In fact, very few will. "School Choice" rewards the few while destroying the education of the many.

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
I’m on page 3 and still don’t understand what’s happening

Can someone break this down in simple dummy terms (yes i sound like i need a voucher)

Before 1800's - In America, only private schools for very rich people.
1800's - Public Schools get popular. Not teaching Blacks generally. Also most public schools are near where you live.
1800-1950's - Teach Blacks, but Separate but equal
1950's - Schools Desegregated.
Also 1950 - White parents pull their kids out of public school so they don't mix with Blacks. (White flight)
1960's - Civil Rights
1960's - King Shot. Even more white flight. Whites establish public schools in white hoods, and also outside of the city. Black stuck with inner city schools.
1970's - School Bussing sends Black Kids to white schools.
1972 - Southern Strategy - Repubs appeal to white majority with code words - like "states rights" and "law and order"
1980's - Reagan wins and Current Republican Conservative Agenda starts - still don't kids mixing with Blacks.

Also 80's - Evangelicals were important to Reagan getting elected. Anti-abortion, anti-gay, pro-(white)family - stuff becomes important to other politicians. They get evolution out of biology books. They even went after Dungeons and Dragons.

Mid 80's - Conservative think tanks using code words instead of racial slurs- let's get the State to pay for our white kids in private schools. (voucher system). Let's also let the market into education. (charter schools)

90's - Dems embrace Neoliberalism - market can solve social problems
00's - DEMOCRATS embrace Charter Schools. (but it's neo lib)
late 00's - Gays can marry.
10's - Alphabet soup and "Woke" starts.
20's - Repubs, we still hate the Blacks. We still hate the gays. We don't want none of them in school. But the best thing to hate...CRT and Trans.

So with Trump, these folks have energized their base, and non-evangelical republicans are getting involved in schools.

Now politicians can get elected and run on these platforms.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
It's crazy how people in here just absolutely refuse to accept that others might disagree with their political preferences. And if the people with the opinion happen to be Black, then clearly they have no idea what they're talking about, or there's no way they came to that conclusion on their own.

Support for these kinds of policies is close to 80% among Black people.

These people don't have time for politicians etc to "fix the system." Their kids need education in a safe environment now. In my experience (friends/family), most families end up sending their kids to local Catholic schools or charters that cater to disaffected parents who don't want to send their kids to a failing/substandard/dangerous public school. You're asking parents, many of them single moms etc, to make some type of political stand by continuing to send their kids to a shytty school just because the local teachers union is up in arms LMAO.

All these parents and kids are trapped in the middle of a political war. Right wingers vs teachers unions/mayors/school boards that are aligned with Dems. People living in real life understand nuance and the idea that even though a choice may not be perfect, if it's better than the status quo there's no harm in trying.

:mjtf:

I have literally zero posts promoting a political party of any kind, what in the actual fukk are you talking about?

Like I said you cats don't operate in reality. You're talking about "parents can't make a political stand" when the fact of the matter is, where I grew up at least:

1. The entire school district is redlined all to hell.

2. The school district is 80% minority, mostly black.

3. Schools close and parents don't have the means to send 300-400+ kids to another school. Let alone a private one. Let alone home school them. The entire area is poverty stricken.

Nobody gives a fukk about politics over here. I'm talking about the day to day reality of the situation.

And I'm :dead: at "80% of black parents support this"....the poll was conducted by EdChoice, a pro-voucher organization. What did you expect the poll to say?

Meanwhile, out in the real world:

The school districts mentioned are 70% black and 87% black. And how do they feel about this? :jbhmm:

Earlier this year, school districts across the state, including Cleveland Heights-University Heights City School District along and Richmond Heights Local Schools, filed a suit arguing the EdChoice program violates the Ohio constitution.

In their original lawsuit, the school districts argued several points, including that the program creates an unfair advantage for private schools and increases segregation.

Sarah Wiley serves as an attorney at Community Legal Aid, one of the newest advocacy and legal groups to chime in and file a brief in support of the lawsuit, alongside more than 100 school districts.

They're facing direct harm as they're seeing money leaving their schools, going to private schools and schools are now able to provide fewer services and less quality as a result,” she said. “The EdChoice voucher program makes that problem worse and it leads to our already underfunded schools with even less money to work with.”

But nah....a poll. :comeon:

Fred.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I'm still here by the way. Not interested in having a continuing back and forth. I have my opinion, no one on TLR is changing any minds on this.

I'll just say that I'm glad my parents had a choice to send my sister and I to the local parochial school, then to send us to our failing and dangerous local public school. I just happen to think every parent should be able to have that choice.

Have a great day everyone.
every parent can do that now but we don't want public funds going to private schools who don't serve everybody.

Marlow Stanfield

Superstar
Daps
I’m on page 3 and still don’t understand what’s happening

Can someone break this down in simple dummy terms (yes i sound like i need a voucher)
I got you...

"School Choice" on its face is an education program where the state provides vouchers to parents that will cover the cost of tuition at a private school near them. Thereby, allowing a parent to send their kid to private school for free if they choose. The idea behind this is if more parents send their kids to private school, the more children will receive a quality education. More children will succeed educationally, go to college, etc.

There are several problematic things about these programs. However, where "School Choice" runs into its biggest problem is this: the money to cover the cost of these vouchers (tens of thousands of dollars annually per student). Rather than raise taxes or pull money from defunct state programs, state governments are redirecting money that would otherwise go to the state's public schools.

Less funding going to public schools to pay for School Choice voucher programs means that the students not lucky enough to receive a voucher will suffer with WORSE public schools. Students in public schools in poorer areas will suffer the most as the budget cuts will have a direct, negative impact on their ability to learn. Sadly, this will be the vast majority of students.

Outdated textbooks, overcrowded classrooms due to teacher shortages, little-to-no technology in the classroom, little-to-no extracurricular activities (sports, music, clubs, etc.) are already major issues in many, if not all, poorer public schools. Expect for these issues to worsen as School Choice programs start to take off.

As I said above, School Choice improves the education of the few, while destroying the education for the many.

I hope this makes things a little clearer for you.

Last edited:

GnauzBookOfRhymes

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol you don't know shyt.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Lol you don't know shyt.
Lol. Your source is a poll conducted by a pro school choice org. Might as well have cited Betsy DeVos.

Private schools can't take everyone. Private schools taking kids and funding from public schools leads to loss of resources and closures. This happens anywhere these kind of experiments are tried. This particular one is especially bad because it isn't even need based. They're wholesale selling the education department to private parties at the expense of the many.

Last edited:

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
Isn't school choice something the GOP always pushed to black people? They've been doing this since the W. era. Always wanted to know why they pushed this to inner city black people knowing that they, themselves, are :mjpls:? Paternalistic racism? :patrice:

sanityovar8ted

OG Moma Coli....dat bytch Thowd!!!
Daps
Reppin
OAK CLIFF TX
Iz Texas a red or blue state cuz DISD offers skool choice transfers n I used them 4 all my kids from middle skool 2 high skool 4 some n just high skool 4 others. I was VERY proactive in my kids education and it was successful.