No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Good to hear Slay getting mentored by one of the goats in the secondary. I know he had his struggles, but I liked some of the things I saw with Slay. You could see he had the physical tools to play the position. Good speed, size and mobility. Many times he did a great job staying with his guy, but his ball tracking skills were lacking. And the thing Woodson said about him needing to develop "zone eyes" makes perfect sense. You could see where he looked kinda lost and out of position in some plays when they were in zone last year. It's the same thing I worry about with Dennard. I love how he plays the position, with the physicality and great coverage skills, but with State playing press man coverage almost exclusively I wonder how he'll adjust to more zone schemes.

I do like Slays potential, and cb is a position where a lot of good players took a few years to adjust so those quick to label him a bust may want to hold on just a minute. I wanna see if he shows some serious improvement in his 2nd year.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Good to hear Slay getting mentored by one of the goats in the secondary. I know he had his struggles, but I liked some of the things I saw with Slay. You could see he had the physical tools to play the position. Good speed, size and mobility. Many times he did a great job staying with his guy, but his ball tracking skills were lacking. And the thing Woodson said about him needing to develop "zone eyes" makes perfect sense. You could see where he looked kinda lost and out of position in some plays when they were in zone last year. It's the same thing I worry about with Dennard. I love how he plays the position, with the physicality and great coverage skills, but with State playing press man coverage almost exclusively I wonder how he'll adjust to more zone schemes.

I do like Slays potential, and cb is a position where a lot of good players took a few years to adjust so those quick to label him a bust may want to hold on just a minute. I wanna see if he shows some serious improvement in his 2nd year.

I know one thing the lions haven't had a corner that can look back and track the ball since ray Crockett.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You know secondary play has been lacking when Ray Crockett is mentioned. Hell, earlier on in the thread Bennie Blades was brought up when talking about safety play:damn:

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Joseph Fauria thinks he can “contribute very similarly” to Jimmy Graham
fedfd15cae6aa07759829fe5a4fa2c72-e1392310323372.jpeg
Reuters
When Joe Lombardi was introduced as the Lions’ offensive coordinator at a press conference last week, he said that there would be a lot of similarities with the offense that Lombardi was part of as the quarterbacks coach in New Orleans.

That led to an excited tweet from tight end Joseph Fauria, who had seven touchdowns on 18 catches in his first season as a receiving tight end with the Lions. The 6-foot-7 Fauria thinks he can improve on those numbers based on what he’s seen from the tight end that catches a lot of passes in the New Orleans offense.

“I’m fully aware of what that means and I do know who Jimmy Graham is,” Fauria said, via the team’s website. ”I have a similar background to (Graham) with basketball and similar height and the way we play. I’m not calling myself Jimmy Graham, but I strive to have the kind of production he has. I think I can contribute very similarly to how he has with the Saints.”

It’s a lofty goal, but there’s not much point in setting a goal of being a part-time player called on in the red zone. Fauria said he is training this offseason to fine-tune everything about his game and his chances of seeing a spike in playing time would go way up if he succeeds in making himself a more complete player than he was in 2013.

The same will be true if the Lions let Brandon Pettigrew walk as a free agent, something that we’ll find out once March rolls around.

MercuryHayes

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Stationed in Antarctica, Coldest Niggga Alive
I like Delmas and Burl but they were the defensive and offensive vocal leaders and that's 2nd rate to me. If Del comes back at a reduced level cool. Nate probably wants to go back home to Seattle too.

And that Pettigrew pick gets worse and worse each year.