No Poison No Paradise - The Official Detroit Lions 2014 Offseason Thread

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I just mean physically, how athletic they both are and neither of them block. Not saying he's gonna replicate Jimmy Graham. :whoa:
I dont know about that one. Jimmy graham one of the fastest tight ends in the league. All we've seen fauria do is one route.

They saying if pettigrew leave which he probably will, the lions will be looking at a tight end in rd 2.:damn:

If these bytches go wr and te in the first 2 rounds imma find old man ford and smother him and leave mayhew prints on the pillow:demonic:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what:

they better develop Fauria and see what they can get out of Michael Williams from Alabama, dikkerson, and hit the fa mark for a cheap solution.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Ndamukong Suh, Detroit Lions could work on contract extension this week - if he has an agent
Ndamukong Suh seems like a bright businessman.

He occasionally hangs out with billionaire investor Warren Buffett in the off-season. He has built a personal brand immune to — or perhaps with the help of — some minor on- and off-field troubles. His post-football career appears well thought out.

And maybe this is Business 101. Deadlines spur deals, after all, and for Suh and the Detroit Lions, there’s no more pressing deadline then the start of free agency 4 p.m. March 11.

That’s when the Lions hope to have Suh signed to a new, long-term contract, which would lock up the game’s best defensive tackle and should give them enough salary cap room to accomplish what they need in free agency: sign a starter or two, like last year.

The NFL combine kicks off this week, and every coach, general manager and agent will be in Indianapolis. Along with the obvious weighing, measuring and interviewing of draft prospects, this is where league business gets done.

Teams meet with player reps over lunch or dinner or a 10-minute cup of coffee to express their interest in joining forces this fall and beyond — or at least until a younger, cheaper options come around.

Firm contract offers aren’t usually made here. Technically, that would be tampering if the player is currently with another team, and teams don’t want their deals shopped around three weeks before the start of free agency anyway.

The Lions will meet with the reps for most if not all of their free agents this week, and they’d like to sit down with Suh’s contract advisers as well. The only problem is, as of Tuesday, Suh still hadn’t officially signed with an agent — or if he had, no one told the Lions.

Suh has been linked to music mogul Jay Z’s Roc Nation Sports agency since he fired his former agents last month. For marketing purposes, at least, that marriage appears set.

Suh reportedly attended several Jay Z concerts in recent months, andaccording to Vibe magazine, Jay Z wore Suh’s black Nebraska No. 93 jersey when he played a concert at Suh’s alma mater in December.

But who negotiates Suh’s contract is still a mystery at this point, albeit one that everyone expects to be solved soon.

Suh, who was expected to pick from a short list of prominent agents, and perhaps Roc Nation as well, will have tons of leverage when his contract negotiations begin but never more than in the next three weeks.

His cap number this fall is more than $22.4 million, which would put his 2015 salary on the franchise tag (if the Lions would dare use it) at almost $26.9 million. Trading Suh is not an option, at this point, with no sense of where negotiations are headed — he’d still take up $19.5 million in cap room if he were dealt, and the win-now Lions would be without their best defensive player. And if the Lions don’t get a deal done this off-season, Suh almost certainly will void his contract five days after next year’s Super Bowl and become an unrestricted free agent.

From the Lions’ standpoint, there are contingencies in place if a new deal with Suh can’t get done, though none is ideal.

They could cut players like they did with wide receiver Nate Burleson and safety Louis Delmas last week, a dangerous proposition for a team with depth problems as is. They could shuffle money around with simple contract restructurings for players such as wide receiver Calvin Johnson and safety Glover Quin, though that only serves to kick salary cap problems and tough roster decisions further down the road.

Suh is coming off maybe the best season of his NFL career. At age 27, he’s still in his prime and has never missed a game due to injury. He was voted a team captain for the first time last year.

There are plenty of reasons to keep Suh around for the next few years, and the Lions would like to make it happen. They just have to know when and where — in Indianapolis this week? — to begin.

Doesn't look suh is pressed about signing a extension

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
Doesn't look suh is pressed about signing a extension

That nikka ain't trying to stay in Detroit. He sees all the fukkery on the other side of the ball and the front office. I'd bounce too and get top dollar on another team. I wonder if the other 31 teams consider seasons spent with the Lions as "The Lost Years" and a nikka's agent just shows up to the teams on some :mindblown: Whadya expect for chrissakes!?!?! He was a fukking Lion. Then they :umad: at our sorry asses.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
In all honesty, if cap room can be found else where, I'm all for Suh playing out his final year. I want him back, but the Lions need too bid against the market and not themselves.

Now, lets get four game one starters i the draft lol:russ:

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
In all honesty, if cap room can be found else where, I'm all for Suh playing out his final year. I want him back, but the Lions need too bid against the market and not themselves.

Now, lets get four game one starters i the draft lol:russ:
:noah:

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
14314693-mmmain.jpg

ETROIT, MI -- It's sad being a Detroit Lions football fan. It's kinda funny being the son of a man with a twisted sense of humor who exploits your Lions misery by erecting an enormous billboard of your grief-stricken face in a major metropolitan area two blocks from your work.
That's what happened to 23-year-old Niko Vlahakis of Northville, courtesy of his 53-year-old father, Steve Vlahakis, also of Northville.

Clearly not a Lions-sponsored advertisement, MLive Detroit tracked down the Steve Vlahakis, who is leasing the billboard from CBS Outdoors.

The father said he and some friends paid to erect the billboard featuring a saddened and befuddled Niko Vlahakis, who is donning a Kevin Jones jersey and knit Lions hat in the front row of Ford Field during the heart-wrenching Monday Night Football loss to the Baltimore Ravens, next to the words, "Go Lions 2014."

Steve Vlahakis neglected to mention this to his son, who works about two blocks away at Quicken Loans as a recruiter for the Dan Gilbert family of companies.

The image was captured by ESPN during its broadcast of the Dec. 16 game, during which Baltimore Ravens kicker Justin Tucker,whom Steve Vlahakis was taunting from his first-row vantage point, boomed a 61-yard field goal -- his sixth of the night -- to defeat the flailing Lions 18-16 in the final minute.

"I had a great time until (Matt) Stafford threw an interception in the third," said NikoVlahakis, who attended the game as a last-minute surprise from his father. "Once he threw that interception, I'm just sitting there a sad Lions fan, shaking my head. No words could explain it. You can see it on my face."

After the game, the image became a popular meme -- search for "sad Lions fan" and the image of Niko Vlahakis is surely among the results -- and was shared by Niko Vlahakis, his friends and throughout the Internet.

About six weeks ago, Niko Vlahakis was enjoying a post-work beer with some friends at the Hard Rock Cafe in downtown Detroit when he received a call from a friend in Arizona. The friend saw a picture of the billboard in a Twitter message posted by a WXYZ, Channel 7 Action News reporter.

"There's no way there's a billboard of me in Detroit," Niko Vlahakis said he told his friend. He said, 'It's right by Buffalo Wild Wings.'"

After the beer, Niko Vlahakis walked toward his car.

"I turned the corner and there's my face on the billboard," he said, adding his next move was to call his mother.

"I don't know what to tell you but there's a billboard of me in Detroit with a sad face and 'Go Lions,'" he told his mother. Then he spoke to his father.

"I've never heard the guy laugh so had in his life," Niko Vlahakis said. "What billboard," he said and "just starts laughing his ass off."

The billboard is paid for through the end of February. Steve Vlahakis, whose company Seaway Painting contracts with CBS Outdoors, didn't want to publicly reveal what he paid, but says he has no regrets about costly prank; "It came out real good."

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Detroit Lions' Martin Mayhew expects contract extension with Ndamukong Suh to get done soon
INDIANAPOLIS — Detroit Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said he hasn’t considered trading defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh and still expects to get the all-pro defensive tackle signed to a long-term contract extension next month.

“I haven’t really given that any thought,” Mayhew said when asked about the possibility of trading Suh during a breakfast with beat writers at the NFL combine today. “I anticipate we’ll get something done. He has said that he wants to be here. We’d like him to be here, so that’s sort of my mind-set now.”

Suh still has not signed with an agent to replace Roosevelt Barnes, whom he fired last month, but Mayhew said he has been in regular contact with Suh and that Suh should have a new contract adviser in place soon.

Suh is expected to sign with Jay Z’s Roc Nation for marketing purposes and is considering CAA, among other high-profile agents, to handle his football business.

Mayhew said he hoped to begin negotiating with Suh’s new representatives during the combine this week. But Suh’s delay in picking an agent shouldn’t be an impediment to getting a new deal.

“Spoke to him about a week ago, and I said, ‘Hey, we’re going to be at the combine next week. I don’t want to rush you on the agent thing, but if you have one by then, that would be nice. But there’s no (rush). It’s up to you to pick the right guy,’” Mayhew said. “So we had that conversation. And then I reached out to him on my way here, and we missed each other for a couple days. We finally talked yesterday. He said he’s getting close to picking an agent; he hasn’t picked one yet. I declined to start the negotiation with him right then, so we’re going to wait for him to get an agent and then we’ll get rolling.

“But if you go back to the last two that we did that were big deals, that were extensions with Matthew (Stafford) and Calvin (Johnson), Matthew’s was done after the start of free agency, and Calvin’s was done on the eve of free agency. And I wouldn’t be surprised if this one happened the same way.”

Stafford signed a three-year extension last July that created about $3 million in cap room and should keep him a Lion through 2017.

Johnson signed a seven-year extension in March 2012 that freed up about $10 million in cap space.

Suh is slated to count about $22.4 million against the cap right now, and his rookie contract voids five days after next year’s Super Bowl.

Mayhew said the Lions have contingencies in place that will help them accomplish everything they need to this off-season if an extension with Suh isn’t in place before the start of free agency March 11.

One of the Lions’ top orders of business, Mayhew said, is re-signing tight end Brandon Pettigrew.

“We had our free agency meetings. Our coaches liked him, liked what he can do, being an all-around sort of guy,” Mayhew said. “So he’s a guy that we’ll be talking to and meeting with his agent down here at the combine.”

Mayhew would not rule out the possibility of using the franchise tag to keep Pettigrew a Lion, at the cost of about $6.8 million.

The Lions are about $7 million under next year’s projected salary cap of $130 million. They created $11.5 million in cap room by releasing veterans Nate Burleson and Louis Delmas last week and could free up more space with several simple contract restructurings.

“Never say never,” Mayhew said about the possibility of tagging Pettigrew. “You never know how things are going to go. If we chose to do that, we could create the room to make that happen.”

ANSAH SURGERY: Lions defensive end Ziggy Ansah underwent shoulder surgery earlier this month but is expected to be ready for the season, according to Fox Sports. Ansah had a team-leading eight sacks last year, most among rookies.

Ansah was listed on the Lions’ end-of-week injury report just once last season with a shoulder injury, when he was questionable but played in a game against the Baltimore Ravens.

Contact Dave Birkett: dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter@davebirkett.

If they franchise pettigrew and give him 7 million:pachaha:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Im warming up to the TE from NC if he is a legit vernon davis clone. Run two TE like NE did with gronk and hernandez with CJ wouldnt be bad. Not sure if ebron can block though