No one was more dominant than Peak Shaq

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
2001 Shaq shuts down any Lebron, Curry, Durant team ever. I'm thinking 4-1.

Shaq's three most dominant playoff performances were versus:

•2000 Pacers
•2002 Nets
•2001 Sixers

Tell me the front line these teams had that had anything close to competing with Shaq. His biggest series were versus neither great teams nor an elite big (4 or 5) that could rival his production...

This dude was "decimating" chumps. His biggest postseason moments aren't against anyone relevant...

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast

•2000 Pacers
•2002 Nets
•2001 Sixers

Tell me the front line these teams had that had anything close to competing with Shaq. His biggest series were versus neither great teams nor an elite big (4 or 5) that could rival his production...

This dude was "decimating" chumps. His biggest postseason moments aren't against anyone relevant...
Beat Jordan in the playoffs..LeBron, Curry, Durant was never on his level. Ever.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

•2000 Pacers
•2002 Nets
•2001 Sixers

I don't think that's exactly fair. The Sixers had Mutombo who was an all-time great defender at center. Nets split time between Todd MacCulloch and Jason Collins, who both at least had the size to match up with Shaq. Rik Smits was soft but he was 7'4" and had Dale Davis on the help who was a hardnosed defender with length. It's not like there were ever a bunch of 7' 300lb defensive stalwarts in the league, so those aren't the worst options.

I don't think you can really take away from Shaq's Finals performances 2000-2002, which were truly impressive. The bigger knock on his dominance is how inconsistent he was. If he was so dominant in 2000, they why did he only average 25ppg on 53% shooting against a hobbled Sabonis in the 2000 WCF, and put up 18 points on 5-9 shooting (with 4 turnovers) in the decisive Game 7? Why'd he only average 24ppg on 49% shooting against a past-prime Robinson in '99 while getting swept out of the WCSF? Why didn't he enforce his will upon the game in the losses against the '95 Rockets, '96 Bulls, '97 Jazz, '98 Jazz, '03 Spurs, or '04 Pistons? And how is it that the most dominant player in history never once averaged 30ppg for a season?

Shaq really might have been the most dominant player in history. He at least has a case. But it's frustrating to see how dominant he could be at times, and yet how inconsistently that dominance appeared.

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
they why did he only average 25ppg on 53% shooting against a hobbled Sabonis in the 2000 WCF, and put up 18 points on 5-9 shooting (with 4 turnovers) in the decisive Game 7?

I CANT TAKE YOU SERIOUS
WHEN YOU POST shyt LIKE THIS
AND YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME.

I DONT KNOW IF YOURE
BEING SNEAKY WHEN YOU DO IT
OR YOU JUST DONT WATCH GAMES
AND SIMPILY RELY ON BOXSCORES.

PORTLAND OBVIOUSLY DOUBLED SHAQ
WHEN HE DIDNT EVEN HAVE THE BALL
LET ALONE WHEN HE CAUGHT THE BALL
AND FORCED THE LAKERS ROLE PLAYERS TO BEAT THEM.

SO HES CLEARLY SEEING MUTIPLE
DEFENDERS MOST SHOT ATTEMPTS
WHEN HES NOT RECIEVING HARD FOULS
YET YOU PRETEND A "HOBBLED" SABONIS, ROBINSON OR WHOEVER ELSE
SINGLE COVERED HIM AND CONTAINED HIM.

IT WAS PICK YOUR POISON
WITH THE LAKERS.
GIVE ALL YOUR ATTENTION TO
SHAQ AND FORCE EVERYONE ELSE
TO BEAT YOU OR STAY WITH THE
SHOOTERS AND WATCH SHAQ GO CRAZY.

THATS WHERE THE "INCONSISTENCY"
COMES FROM IN HIS NUMBERS.
:devil:
:evil:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I CANT TAKE YOU SERIOUS
WHEN YOU POST shyt LIKE THIS
AND YOU DO IT ALL THE TIME.

I DONT KNOW IF YOURE
BEING SNEAKY WHEN YOU DO IT
OR YOU JUST DONT WATCH GAMES
AND SIMPILY RELY ON BOXSCORES.

PORTLAND OBVIOUSLY DOUBLED SHAQ
WHEN HE DIDNT EVEN HAVE THE BALL
LET ALONE WHEN HE CAUGHT THE BALL
AND FORCED THE LAKERS ROLE PLAYERS TO BEAT THEM.

SO HES CLEARLY SEEING MUTIPLE
DEFENDERS MOST SHOT ATTEMPTS
WHEN HES NOT RECIEVING HARD FOULS
YET YOU PRETEND A "HOBBLED" SABONIS, ROBINSON OR WHOEVER ELSE
SINGLE COVERED HIM AND CONTAINED HIM.

IT WAS PICK YOUR POISON
WITH THE LAKERS.
GIVE ALL YOUR ATTENTION TO
SHAQ AND FORCE EVERYONE ELSE
TO BEAT YOU OR STAY WITH THE
SHOOTERS AND WATCH SHAQ GO CRAZY.

THATS WHERE THE "INCONSISTENCY"
COMES FROM IN HIS NUMBERS.
:devil:
:evil:

First off I watched every minute of every game of that series, dumbass. That was the height of my Portland fandom. But you were, what, going through puberty at the time? What the fukk do you remember?

Like you claiming that Portland was regularly doubling Shaq off-ball when that was completely illegal in 2000. :mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:

Yeah Portland often doubled Shaq when he got the ball, but what the fukk does that have to do with anything? No one said "They never doubled Shaq". EVERY dominant star gets doubled when possible, especially the ones who need to be within 5 feet of the hoop to do anything. But in that era they didn't even allow zones yet and in 99-00 the Lakers were loaded with shooters (Kobe, Glen Rice, Horry, Fisher, Shaw, and Fox), so Portland couldn't cheat on the zones to the degree that teams do now.

You did a whole lot of talking to juelz out of the most dominant player at his peak only scoring 18 points and needing the ref to bail him out of an elimination game.