No One Showed Up to Rally for Rieka Boyd

Gravity

Banned
Daps
There is a divide, and you all pretending that it isn't there is what will be the ultimate downfall. To get the unity needed to combat white supremacy some things need to be fixed. Pretending that everything is all peaches and cream will only make the division wider. It's why many women ultimately left the Black Panther Party. Black women shouldn't have to feel ostracized in their own movement. No one is going from one society where they are marginalized to another where they are also marginalized.
Respect for the honesty. I want the black female posters here to really comprehend what you're saying and your mentality. When black men like me shyt on black feminism, this is why.

There's a divide and people like you aim to widen it with white supremacist talking points/propaganda. The idea that black women were justified in jumping ship(I'm glad you can admit this) because of some socalled oppression from black men is complete bullshyt. The only form of systematic oppression/marginalization that black women have ever faced is white supremacy. Feminism is a bug that white men thru white women put in black women's ear and yall fell for the shyt hook, line, and sinker. That 70's feminist movement was nothing but a hustle. White women were hustling more power/resources from white men and they used the civil rights movement to do it. White men used feminism to dissipate the energy/unity in the black community. Remember, Gloria Steinem worked for the CIA. The ill part is that 40 years later she comes out and says that she learned to be a feminist from black women. See blCk women already had a lot of the "freedoms" that white women were fighting for. Black men never had their foots on black women's neck like white men had white women. Black women always had more power within their communities. They gamed too many of you into jumping ship and too many of you are still falling for it.

Just out of curiosity, what are some of the these things that you think have to be fixed before we can unite against white supremacy? Do you truly think that this mythological black male oppression of black women is more important than white supremacy? You can't really believe the bullshyt that you're posting. The black male has been thoroughly emasculated in this society and you want him to bow down even more:snoop: It'd be one thing if black feminists were rational, but that's far from the case. The results of black women jumping ship on that feminist "I don't need a black man" shyt are undeniably clear. The community has gotten worse, yet y'all still kicking the same garbage.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
The point in not what it will do, the point is the people who cared enough to show up. Right it didn't change anything in the cases you mentioned, but they cared to show up and show solidarity.

I read this yesterday but I didn't want to be the one to make the thread... I shared a flyer last week but I'm in Texas and most of who I know is in Texas or the south. I was truly saddened by the article and the message it sends. Honestly gives "black feminist" a talking point. What can you really say to excuse this?

Granted there are countless black deaths, missing, injustices happening that most don't hear about male and female. I don't see how anyone can explain this away. This is not to be turned into a gender war either. Just should be a wake up call and a mirror.
As other have mentioned there were bigger turnouts in other cities. All of these cases need shine, but if you think the reason this case isn't getting as much shine as it should, is because she is a female I would have to disagree. Beyond that the conversation have to start being about how are we going to stop this from happening

KOohbt

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So if the issue is media attention. How about we contact every black news site in the black news directory thread and go ham emailing etc to get them to write articles about the lack of attention black females are receiving. Or not.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
As other have mentioned there were bigger turnouts in other cities. All of these cases need shine, but if you think the reason this case isn't getting as much shine as it should, is because she is a female I would have to disagree. Beyond that the conversation have to start being about how are we going to stop this from happening

Again, what is the point and what kind of message does it send? If you have all of these cases happening, people flooding the streets for them. Then this, the same type of thing, cop gets off and the turn out that it had. What kind of message does it send?

Yes all these types cases need shine. Yes we need to stop it from happening that is a given. But that was not the point of the article and that is not what type of discussion it was meant to spark. The question is why did things play out the way they did? Why weren't people there? Who cared or didn't care to show up? Why did so few show for this case vs. the others. If you disagree with what the article is asking, do black women's lives matter? Why do to you think that wasn't a factor. Saying showing up wouldn't have done anything anyway is deflection/excuse? Doesn't change the fact with the cases that are known and protest held, so few showed up for this one.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Again, what is the point and what kind of message does it send? If you have all of these cases happening, people flooding the streets for them. Then this, the same type of thing, cop gets off and the turn out that it had. What kind of message does it send?

Yes all these types cases need shine. Yes we need to stop it from happening that is a given. But that was not the point of the article and that is not what type of discussion it was meant to spark. The question is why did things play out the way they did? Why weren't people there? Who cared or didn't care to show up? Why did so few show for this case vs. the others. If you disagree with what the article is asking, do black women's lives matter? Why do to you think that wasn't a factor. Saying showing up wouldn't have done anything anyway is deflection/excuse? Doesn't change the fact with the cases that are known and protest held, so few showed up for this one.
Again not everyone is hitting the street for every case. Why did the Renisha McBride case get a ton of attention and he Phillip White case didn't? There is no proof that we take the deaths of Black women less seriously than the deaths of Black men.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
Again not everyone is hitting the street for every case. Why did the Renisha McBride case get a ton of attention and he Phillip White case didn't? There is no proof that we take the deaths of Black women less seriously than the deaths of Black men.

Everyone isn't hitting the street for any case if they did we could probably get somethings done but again that is not the point.

If someone wanted an example, this is an example to use. For your Phillip White example I could counter with Meagan Hockaday, and we could go back and forth all day with cases that didn't get coverage for men and women. Its very sad that we could, but we could. Using this, the cases that did get coverage,and attention why was this different than others?

Daps
I get more upset about women being killed than men.
me too and i think it's cause i think of many scenarios which warrant deadly force against women and i know cacs aint physically threatened by bw like that the same way they are black males....when devils kill one of our women it's purely an attempt at t genocide and a hate crime.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Everyone isn't hitting the street for any case if they did we could probably get somethings done but again that is not the point.

If someone wanted an example, this is an example to use. For your Phillip White example I could counter with Meagan Hockaday, and we could go back and forth all day with cases that didn't get coverage for men and women. Its very sad that we could, but we could. Using this, the cases that did get coverage,and attention why was this different than others?
That is a legitimate question if we take gender out. I think it's about timing and how strongly the local community react to what happens. I don't think Mike Brown would of been as big of a story if the people do Ferguson wasn't out there everyday.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
That is a legitimate question if we take gender out. I think it's about timing and how strongly the local community react to what happens. I don't think Mike Brown would of been as big of a story if the people do Ferguson wasn't out there everyday.

How can you take out race and gender??? You can't. Also, that is the point people were showing up for Mike Brown, for Trayvon, and for Eric Gardner all across the country, not with this case.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How can you take out race and gender??? You can't. Also, that is the point people were showing up for Mike Brown, for Trayvon, and for Eric Gardner all across the country, not with this case.
You really just messed the entire point. The reason Mike Brown became a major story and people came out across the nation for it is because the people of Ferguson was out on the street almost everyday. Therefore it gained more attention and people became invested. People forget the killing of Trayvon Martin was not a huge story at first. It took months for it to gain steam and it really blew up once Sharpton got involved. And yes I am talking gender out because you still haven't showed me real evidence that gender is the reason large numbers of people didn't come out for Rika Boyd.

Raava

Staff member
Daps
You really just messed the entire point. The reason Mike Brown became a major story and people came out across the nation for it is because the people of Ferguson was out on the street almost everyday. Therefore it gained more attention and people became invested. People forget the killing of Trayvon Martin was not a huge story at first. It took months for it to gain steam and it really blew up once Sharpton got involved. And yes I am talking gender out because you still haven't showed me real evidence that gender is the reason large numbers of people didn't come out for Rika Boyd.

I got that point. I was saying that it hasn't happened in this case vs. the other cases named. That is the point. The fact that people cared enough to raise all that hell for the other cases to gain that attention, is the point. Hello. You missed the point 3 post ago and are still missing it now. You can't take it out. If we are talking about nationally covered cases of police violence, the key difference is that she is a woman. Are you serious? That being the reason, is the assumption being made by the article. How can you take that out?? Trying to makes no sense. The fact you are trying to take it out shows there is no point to continue this.

A.R.$

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I got that point. I was saying that it hasn't happened in this case vs. the other cases named. That is the point. The fact that people cared enough to raise all that hell for the other cases to gain that attention, is the point. Hello. You missed the point 3 post ago and are still missing it now. You can't take it out. If we are talking about nationally covered cases of police violence, the key difference is that she is a woman. Are you serious? That being the reason, is the assumption being made by the article. How can you take that out?? Trying to makes no sense. The fact you are trying to take it out shows there is no point to continue this.
Don't mistake me not agreeing with your point with me not getting it. I addressed all of your points in my previous posts. The point about us not continuing this debate is the one point you made that I can agree with.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
This is sad to read and I'm really surprised by the low turnout ( In NYC's Union square of all places). I'm interested in why there was such a low attendance for this event. Was there not enough promotion for it? Did the BlacklivesMatter campaign blast this all over Social media to let people know it was going on? This is concerning to me because it feeds into the present notions that Black women's issues aren't a priority in our community and this is something that I vehemently disagree with. But this will be used as a divisive talking point by people who seek to cause division.

@*L*E*G*A*C*Y* Did you know anything about this breh?
I actually did not know about this until this thread....sad.

Daps
Reppin
VOID
Sometimes I feel like people are just beat down from marching and protesting and carrying signs and seeing little to no progress as a result. every day, there's a new black life lost...it's almost too much to fathom.

Since Mike Brown and Eric Garner...how many more black lives have we lost? 332? By police...sometimes I feel like some of us have already just felt the agony of defeat...especially when it continues to happen.