No One Showed Up to Rally for Rieka Boyd

Onlooker

Rookie
Daps
I think the biggest reason why Brown and Martin will be remembered longer than Rekia Boyd, Renisha Mcbride, and others is because of the amount of media attention they've received on the National level. And that is in no way the fault of Black men or Black women since none of us control the main media outlets of this country. Do I think that Black women's issues should garner a bigger platform in our community? Absolutely! My mother is a black woman, my aunts and cousin are black women, and my lady is a black woman. So the issues of black women are very important to me. But I don't want this to be is an issue of divisiveness and gender dividing. What I do want to see is more collaboration between organizations to make this known for everyone across the board so we all can support and show solidarity for BOTH genders.

It's not being divisive. We can't fix a problem without identifying it.

Tommy Dervan

Rookie
Daps
This is really sad. I do think that the time of her death played a part in this. So many people will not get proper respect nor any justice. It's really sad but kudos to all the people who got out there and blocked traffic and did their best. Even a few hundred in a few different cities is something. On the other hand protesters went wild in Baltimore.

Will Ross

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
There are many more like her that will never get the recognition that they deserve. You can't even use the excuse that her death wasn't recorded because neither was Brown's and the response to him was massive. People just don't want to discuss police brutality against black women.

You know how many cases did not get the same level of recognition in the media as mike brown.
Hell Mike brown did not get any justice at all.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
This is sad to read and I'm really surprised by the low turnout ( In NYC's Union square of all places). I'm interested in why there was such a low attendance for this event. Was there not enough promotion for it? Did the BlacklivesMatter campaign blast this all over Social media to let people know it was going on? This is concerning to me because it feeds into the present notions that Black women's issues aren't a priority in our community and this is something that I vehemently disagree with. But this will be used as a divisive talking point by people who seek to cause division.

@*L*E*G*A*C*Y* Did you know anything about this breh?
Yep, and the post right below yours proves it.

The_Truth

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Semi misleading article the main reason being because Erica Garner was from NY, Rekia was from Chicago

Chicago had a big movement for her

Other cities across the country had rallys where hundred of people attended

Also have to keep in mind that she was killed 3 years ago, this latest big movment aganist cops only started last year

another small and less thing IMO is the fact that her family i dont think has been too vocal (they took a almost $5 million settlement , IDK if that plays a part or not)

Sad that feminist are trying to turn this into a gender thing

I am certainly relieved to hear this.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
Surprisingly, this is a good post with truth
It's not a good post and it's not true. It's not but a divisive talking point. We as blacks are all subjugated by this nation's terrorist police force. Arguing about which victims get the most attention is a complete waste of time. The difference in the Rekia Boyd case and the one's involving black men is that her family was paid and the officer was initially charged. The reason why the cases regarding Brown, Trayvon, and Garner initially got more attention is because the people who killed them initially weren't even charged.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Yep, and the post right below yours proves it.
If we were so truly together like you all would like to purport then things like this wouldn't keep happening. I bet you couldn't name 5 black women off the top of your head who suffered from police brutality, but you could do that 10 times over for black males.

bcrusaderw

Banned
Supporter
Daps
It's not a good post and it's not true. It's not but a divisive talking point. We as blacks are all subjugated by this nation's terrorist police force. Arguing about which victims get the most attention is a complete waste of time. The difference in the Rekia Boyd case and the one's involving black men is that her family was paid and the officer was initially charged. The reason why the cases regarding Brown, Trayvon, and Garner initially got more attention is because the people who killed them initially weren't even charged.
"She's" a troll.
Just like the police weren't charged in the deaths of Tanisha Anderson and Meagan Hockaday both of which happened this year, but I can guarantee you don't know their names, but let's pretend like black female victims of police violence get anywhere near the attention as black male victims of police violence. You can call me a troll all you want. I write nothing but truth.