No love for Person Of Interest?? OFFICIAL season 3 thread

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
this seems like a totally different show now that Carter gone :to:

they dont even use my nikka Fusco like that no more either

I still fukks with this show but its starting to go overboard a bit.

I mean i can deal with Reese basically being a invincible superhero but Shaw and Root too? :why:

they gotta kill one of them chicks off before the season over :snoop:

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
I don't watch this show, but folks who watch it & think it's slept on would probably agree with this:

WHY YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING PERSON OF INTEREST

Victim or perpetrator, you should be watching this damn show.

19 AUG 2014 BY MATT FOWLER

Subject Location

Violence Imminent

Gait Analysis...

The gripping, thought-provoking Person of Interest isn't exactly in need of new eyes, as it's a solid hit for CBS, going into its fourth season. As the most-watched of the big four networks, CBS' audience generally skews older; hence they're less prone to channel-hop and/or seek out post-show discussions on the internet. The CBS audience also love themselves a good "whodunnit?" mystery, which partially explains the staggering success of all the "CSI"s and "NCIS"s.

So a good number of people watch the show. And will hopefully continue to do so no matter how many times it changes its night and time-slot. This piece here, about how awesome and unique Person of Interest is, is really meant to try and get more IGN readers to watch the series. You guys. This show is perfect for you! And we're fighting the good fight to try and gain a bit more traction on the site.

Aside from being the last remaining network that's able to produce smash-hit "traditional" multi-cam sitcoms, CBS' bread and butter is also its barely-serialized "case of the week" shows. Not exactly IGN-friendly, as not only do we love our genreshows, but we love the long-arcing, deep-cutting stories (and payoffs) that come with serialization. Well, Person of Interest has all but circumvented its procedural roots and turned into a show that's both challenging and rewarding.

John-Reese2x2-Bad-Code.jpg

Saving people is still at the heart of the series, which started out with Michael Emerson's Harold Finch and Jim Caviezel's John Reese using a backdoor program to obtain social security numbers from a secret semi-sentient surveillance computer to rescue citizens from dangers deemed "irrelevant" and too small for government intervention. It's since grown into a massive, labyrinthine tragi-commentary about our own personal freedoms and liberties, the abuse of power, and the rise of AI.

Oh, and it's also a freakin' amazing superhero saga for those who might be interested in what a "real world," grounded, well-researched superhero tale would look like in the early 21st Century. So here's why you should check out Person of Interest if you haven't already done so...

The Heroes We Need...And Deserve

3-1024x720.jpg

I wasn't joshin' ya about POI being a badass real-life superhero story. For those who loved the grittiness and grounded nature of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, this show was tailor made for your needs. Created by Jonathan Nolan (who co-wrote The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, along with the upcoming Interstellar), Person of Interest is basically The Dark Knight without the cape and cowl. There are no actual "super powers" on display other than what's attainable through training and technology. And with a heavy emphasis on the all-seeing/spying surveillance tech that Lucius Fox had so many moral objections to in that movie.

Finch is the eloquent billionaire genius and Reese is the soft-spoken one-man army, and both are in need of purpose and redemption. Together, along with a team that grows as the seasons progress, they swoop in and rescue ordinary citizens who Finch's super-computer, "The Machine," determines to be in danger (or who may bethe danger, in some cases).

So if you enjoy twisty, turn-y action along the lines of The Joker's explosive escape from prison, or the way Batman had to non-lethally fight off the SWAT Team to keep them from accidentally killing hostages, then Person of Interest is a must-watch.

Thought(ful) Police

img_0149.jpg

Along with its impressively brutal and creative action sequences, Person of Interest has also morphed into one of TV's most engagingly subversive shows. Sure, Reese and Finch battle crooks and corruption in all shapes and forms, but they also tackle conspiracy. And so when one tries to imagine what a modern-era "supervillain" would be, it's hard to top the combo of terror and tyranny. Those who would seek to subjugate us. The trick though is...are they right in trying to doing so? Often times it comes down to the time-honored "for our own good" argument.

Another feat that Person of Interest deftly pulls off on a regular basis - while in the midst of showcasing important issues like privacy, security, and the fragile balance between the two - is that it's able to present both sides of a debate. The characters have sound ideologies and convictions. They have reasons for being the way they are and doing the things they're doing. There's a lot of "grey" to sift through as it pertains to government, liberty, morality and in a post-9/11 America. Which makes for outstanding television.

And the dangerous rise of actual, legitimate "AI" is another big hot topic for POI, which is something makes me even more excited for Jonathan Nolan and J.J. Abrams' (who also executive produces Person of Interest) upcoming TV remake of Westworld for HBO.

Villains of Interest

collage3.jpg

If this is to be a superhero story, then you need some proper bad guys. And this is another category where Person of Interest shines brightly. Much in the same way Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man have a go-to "rogues' gallery" of villains, so do Reese and Finch. All of them grounded properly in believable, real life areas of opportunity and played by accomplished actors.

Crime bosses, corrupt city officials, assassins-for-hire, mercenaries, and covert operatives all cause severe headaches for Team Machine, with cold and menacingly evil supergroup names like HR, Decima, Control, and Vigilance. And, like comic book baddies, they often remain alive and at large, so they can be a recurring thorn in our heroes' sides.

Shroot 'Em Up

1113x10_-_Root_guns.jpg

So here's the part where I tell you that Sarah Shahi and Amy Acker are both series regulars and shoot a lot of people.

Wait, I need to write more? Um...wasn't prepared for this. I mean, that picture up there clearly shows Amy Acker holding two guns...

Shahi's Shaw and Acker's Root both joined up with Reese and Finch, via very different stories and circumstances, and they're both as rad as you can imagine. Shaw is a comically callous, somewhat spectrum-y former black ops agent who Shahi herself has described as being if "Jason Bourne and Catwoman had a child." Root, on the other hand, is a former hacker (and series antagonist), whose obsession with Finch's Machine basally transformed her into a living, breathing neuro-link to it. At this point on the series, she's about as close to a jacked-in Termantatrix as you can get without going full-blown sci-fi.

And together they do a lot of shooting. And flirting.

Shaw + Root = Shoot.

POI_0312_Shaw.jpg

Hitting the Right Notes

Choosing to put actual songs into a TV episode, or a movie, is always risky. Because there's always the chance that you're alienating a viewer from an important or poignant scene simply because they don't agree with the song choice. It's happened to me on certain shows. I just don't like the song. I think it's too sappy or too on-the-nose. It won't make me hate a show I already like, but it will lessen the impact of a moment or series of moments. Straight series scores are always safer.

But, it's been more than a few times that Person of Interest has simply nailed it when it comes to song placement. And I write this knowing that, perhaps, this is a personal call due to the fact that I already really enjoyed the songs that were used in my real life. But I think I've read other fans echoing my sentiments here. There've been a few Radiohead songs used perfectly, and it pleased me to hear that Nolan and showrunner Greg Plageman pick the songs themselves (not using a music supervisor) and also craft the images to fit the music.

This clip I'm posting is super spoilery, but it's the strongest example of the show's use of song placement. It's Johnny Cash's cover of "Hurt" from the Season 3 episode "The Devil's Share." I suppose I'm putting it here because I know that people who are already Person of Interest fans will be reading this and may want to revisit it... If you haven't watched the show though, skip the clip and begin catching up!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/19/why-you-should-be-watching-person-of-interest

:ohhh: