No Country For Old Men ceased being a great movie when...

Mr Hate Coffee

Veteran
Daps
It's trying to tell you that the good guys don't always win, and death is not something that is dramatic but something that is instant, final and at times unglamorous and undignified.

That's cool and all but that's not why I watch movies. I watch them to be entertained. :yeshrug:

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
Was it the Mexicans or Chirugh that killed him? I'm still confused about that. You see the Mexicans speeding away from the scene but next to Llewelyn's body is a 12ga shell casing. Which I suppose could have come from his own shotgun just as well as Chigurh's. But the wound on his chest is big, fist-sized one, indicative of a shotgun, not of a Mac-10 spray...

Mexicans bodied him. The word was already out where he was gonna be. Chirugh was not the only goonie on deck.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yes, that's exactly the point.

Lol at the angry response and dismissal of anything that doesn't spoonfeed you the usual Hollywood cliches as some pretentious failed attempt at "high art" :childplease:

Check out Law Abiding Citizen, breh...you might find it to be almost classic :skip:

I know what they were going for, and they pulled it off with all the finesse of a sledgehammer to the head. It was amateur as hell, and well below the usual Coens standard of quality.

Lastly, the Coens are basically the "go-to" guys for people that don't really know much about movies, to name drop, to appear knowledgeable. I dunno how often you posted in TRR, or here, but we actually know about movies around here. So talking about "lolz go watch Law Abiding Citizen" is :wtf:, especially in defense of a "safe" choice like the Coens.

Fred.

Darts

Spittin' em
Daps
:heh: @ this holdover from the old Rec Room being upped. My opinion hasn't changed but I should probably say "it ceased being a legendary film...". Still a very good movie but that off-screen death and beyond knocked it down a few notches. :manny:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
Someone mind explaining the "artistic significane" of the main character dying and that weak ass ending.

Llewelyn was never the main protagonist, not in the movie, and definitely not in the book. The film is about the Sheriff and Chigurh, with Moss being just another obstacle Anton has to "get over". Which of course was always the point, Anton always paid a price for killing someone...the shootout with Moss, almost getting caught by the Sheriff, and at the end when he gets hit by the car. Whenever he decides to "play ball" he always has to pay with some part of his body. This is why the sheriff doesn't really "commit" to much of anything, from the start to the finish, he rather just follow the "light" hence his story about the two dreams.