No Country For Old Men ceased being a great movie when...

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
Already said that it's much more effective as is than if they would have shown the scene.
No because those are different movies :heh: It's ridiculous to want or expect every movie to follow the same routine, but that's clearly what you'd prefer. That's why you're mad at the Cohens for NCFOM. It was not a typical cat and mouse/revenge/crazy serial killer movie. It was the Cohens' take on that genre, based on a story by Cormac McCarthy. Neither of them is known for doing things the usual paint-by-numbers way.

Lol at these constant references to "pseudo-intellectualism" and "high art"...angry dismissal of anything deeper than rapping robots. Just call Obama an elitist and move to Montana while you're at it.

Scarface is a pretty shytty film, btw. The fact that it was one of your go-to "classic cinema" references also says a lot :smugdraper:

I can't even continue discussing this with you because you are ridiculous. All of your responses veer off into assumptions that have no basis in anything. I mean where the hell did the Obama, Montana or rapping robot shyt even come from?
And the funny thing is that I like NCFOM but I also have issues with that one part of the film. Just because I don't have a slavish devotion to a movie while being blind to things I consider faulty it in no way means I don't think NCOFM is a really good film.

Abstract83

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jersey
shyt was over hyped and trash. Dude walkin around with a gun untouched. And tommy lee jones ol cant keep us as tellin stories. fukk outta here

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
think you're reaching with the refs to the other movies....

it may seem odd to kill a charcter off screen, but Bell is the main character, its about him, he finds Moss body, its his story...

I just used to well known/oft watched films with huge climactic endings, I wasn't trying to do a direct correlation bwteen the types of films they were.

While Bell may ostensibly be the main character, as an audience we spent the most time with Llewelyn's story and I just can't fathom how a 1 or 2 minute scene of him walking into his motel room and getting merked would have taken anything away from the film at all. I think it could only have enhanced it.

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
I just used to well known/oft watched films with huge climactic endings, I wasn't trying to do a direct correlation bwteen the types of films they were.

While Bell may ostensibly be the main character, as an audience we spent the most time with Llewelyn's story and I just can't fathom how a 1 or 2 minute scene of him walking into his motel room and getting merked would have taken anything away from the film at all. I think it could only have enhanced it.

Fair enuff brv, just have to put it down to both the writer and film makers way of doing things, wont be to everyones liking, and you're probley right them showing that could have enhanced it, I just always felt us finding out when Bell did was the whole point..

Tommy Fits

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
QUEENS NY
No Country for Old Men one of my favorite movies of all time and I have no problem with how Llewelyn's death or the ending. And I don't see how showing Llewelyn's death would have added anything to the film other than watching another character die. I liked the way they did it.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
No, that would have been cliched, stupid and ultimately more anticlimactic than the way it happens in the film.

Sigur wasn't even the one that killed Llewellyn :beli:

The intent was to show how pointless it was, not to glorify or sensationalize it with some heavy-handed placing of the coin on his forehead. The movie is not about some epic showdown b/w two characters.

Eck-fukking-zactly

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
1. I was a little tight the 1st time I saw the movie with the way it ended. Never really had a problem with them not showing Lew die, but with the strange & anticlimaticness of it.

2. When I rewatched the movie, I interpreted the scene when Bell goes to the hotel room and Chigur is hiding in the closet as Bell getting killed by Chigur. Then the rest of the movie was actually Bell being dead as he gave that monologue. I was like :gladbron:

3. Then some cat that read the book said, nah, that's not what happened.:beli:

On the real though, wasn't Chigur in the room waiting to kill Bell? shyt would have been epic if Bell went out like that. Then talking about him & pops chopping it up in the afterlife.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
1. I was a little tight the 1st time I saw the movie with the way it ended. Never really had a problem with them not showing Lew die, but with the strange & anticlimaticness of it.

2. When I rewatched the movie, I interpreted the scene when Bell goes to the hotel room and Chigur is hiding in the closet as Bell getting killed by Chigur. Then the rest of the movie was actually Bell being dead as he gave that monologue. I was like :gladbron:

3. Then some cat that read the book said, nah, that's not what happened.:beli:

On the real though, wasn't Chigur in the room waiting to kill Bell? shyt would have been epic if Bell went out like that. Then talking about him & pops chopping it up in the afterlife.
bell realize that chigur was in the room and sat down and just trusted that he wouldnt kill him, chigur was avoiding a comfrontation

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
bell realize that chigur was in the room and sat down and just trusted that he wouldnt kill him, chigur was avoiding a comfrontation

But why? If I remember correctly, Bell had went back to the room at night and was alone. Chigur could have discreetly got him with no issues.

The old man in "No Country For Oldmen" getting got in that fashion would've been poetic. I'mma go with my version and say the Coen's took creative license and changed some shyt.:smugfavre:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
But why? If I remember correctly, Bell had went back to the room at night and was alone. Chigur could have discreetly got him with no issues.

The old man in "No Country For Oldmen" getting got in that fashion would've been poetic. I'mma go with my version and say the Coen's took creative license and changed some shyt.:smugfavre:

i guess not wanting to draw more attention to himself, plus he was injured and probly not at his best

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A

Remember it was about the money. He already knew where the money was going to be so he had no need to kill him. Moss mother in law snitched to that mexican dude and told him where Bell was going to be after Moss called them telling his girl to meet him at hotel El Paso. Game over. The job was already taken care of. Since he still wanted to rebel and not take the deal he got killed by the mexicans and then his girl got killed for his stupidity. :yeshrug:

"you aint gotta come look for me because im gonna make you a special project of mine" :umad::rudy: Still cracks me up. :laff:

Edit. i was calling him bell when it ws moss.

Mr. Pink

All Star
Daps
Was it the Mexicans or Chirugh that killed him? I'm still confused about that. You see the Mexicans speeding away from the scene but next to Llewelyn's body is a 12ga shell casing. Which I suppose could have come from his own shotgun just as well as Chigurh's. But the wound on his chest is big, fist-sized one, indicative of a shotgun, not of a Mac-10 spray...

Black Ball

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Mighty LBC
Was it the Mexicans or Chirugh that killed him? I'm still confused about that. You see the Mexicans speeding away from the scene but next to Llewelyn's body is a 12ga shell casing. Which I suppose could have come from his own shotgun just as well as Chigurh's. But the wound on his chest is big, fist-sized one, indicative of a shotgun, not of a Mac-10 spray...

Naw it was the mexicans for sure.