No Country For Old Men ceased being a great movie when...

Rominati

Legendary Poster
Daps
Someone mind explaining the "artistic significane" of the main character dying and that weak ass ending.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Its a movie...

they're allowed to make changes.

so people can bytch about it changing from the book?
i guess you just cant please everyone

i do agree that they shoulda shown him getting killed and why
its cause he put his gun down to chill with that girl

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia
didnt they have to stay true to the book?

if he died in the book why would they change that?

exactly, dude isnt the main character in the book, Bell is the main character, the last two chapters are just him...

sounds like people have been spoonfed way too many hollywood endings...

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
I LOVE how it played out and the ending, and the fact that it didn't give cinema idiots the typical cliched bullshyt they wanted to see.

Classic film.

HollywoodP

#LongLive24 #TMC America's Team, Lakeshow, & ASU
Daps
Reppin
The Valley Of The Sun 602🌵480🌵623🌵520
Its still a great film. I dont mind that Luellyn died...it just hate how they didnt show it or explain it...it was so abrupt...and confusing. Still an entertaining movie. Read the book...they're both pretty overated tho.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
It's trying to tell you that the good guys don't always win, and death is not something that is dramatic but something that is instant, final and at times unglamorous and undignified.

You could have still gotten that same message across by actually showing the scene. There is no viable reason (artistic or otherwise) why it was a good idea to go from him standing at a pool and the next to showing his corpse in a motel room.
They could have just filmed something like THIS and it would have worked better than how the COen's ended the Llewellyn storyline.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
Its a movie...

they're allowed to make changes.

Not drastic changes like that. Especially not to a Cormac McCarthy book.

Yeah, I didn't need to see the girl take bullets to the face. Chigurh checking his boot for blood afterwards was good enough.

Now...

not showing Josh Brolin's death was the big mistake in that movie. Other than that, the movie is perfect.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
You could have still gotten that same message across by actually showing the scene. There is no viable reason (artistic or otherwise) why it was a good idea to go from him standing at a pool and the next to showing his corpse in a motel room.
They could have just filmed something like THIS and it would have worked better than how the COen's ended the Llewellyn storyline.

No, that would have been cliched, stupid and ultimately more anticlimactic than the way it happens in the film.

Sigur wasn't even the one that killed Llewellyn :beli:

The intent was to show how pointless it was, not to glorify or sensationalize it with some heavy-handed placing of the coin on his forehead. The movie is not about some epic showdown b/w two characters.

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I didn't say it had to be jsut like that, I said they should have shot something (anything) that showed what happened.
And you could have still gotten across the idea of how pointless it all was by showing it happening. And exactly why is it so important to get the pointlessness of it across? This movie is not some ultra realistic film. Sigur was damn near a cartoon. The earlier gun battles were not shot as true to life but had the same Hollywood sheen to them that most other movie shoot outs have.
Deeciding that the ending of the story on what had been the lead character in the movie offscreen to prop up some need to make "high art" was just a stupid move and all the elitist movie nerd rationalizing in the world won't change my opinion on that.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
I didn't say it had to be jsut like that, I said they should have shot something (anything) that showed what happened.
And you could have still gotten across the idea of how pointless it all was by showing it happening. And exactly why is it so important to get the pointlessness of it across? This movie is not some ultra realistic film. Sigur was damn near a cartoon. The earlier gun battles were not shot as true to life but had the same Hollywood sheen to them that most other movie shoot outs have.
Yes, that's exactly the point.

Lol at the angry response and dismissal of anything that doesn't spoonfeed you the usual Hollywood cliches as some pretentious failed attempt at "high art" :childplease:

Check out Law Abiding Citizen, breh...you might find it to be almost classic :skip:

Jello Biafra

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
The alarming amount of dudes on this forum who seem to get some thrill out of a false sense of pseudo-intellectualism based on their co-signing odd narrative decisions in movies is just crazy.
And it is not a case of needing to be spoonfed as much as it is a case of preferring to have actually viewing the climactic scene of the character that up to that point had been the focus of a movie instead of only seeing the aftermath. You can't tell me that you wouldn't have preferred to actually see Llewellyn's final scenes.
I guess you would have been cool with George Lucas just skipping the whole Luke vs Vader scene at the end of Empire Strikes Back because you don't need to be spoonfed.
Or the entire shoot-out in Scarface could have been skipped and instead the cops could have just shown up to find Tony's dead body because actually seeing the events unfold would have been too easy for you as a sophisticated moviegoer?

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
The alarming amount of dudes on this forum who seem to get some thrill out of a false sense of pseudo-intellectualism based on their co-signing odd narrative decisions in movies is just crazy.
And it is not a case of needing to be spoonfed as much as it is a case of preferring to have actually viewing the climactic scene of the character that up to that point had been the focus of a movie instead of only seeing the aftermath. You can't tell me that you wouldn't have preferred to actually see Llewellyn's final scenes.

Already said that it's much more effective as is than if they would have shown the scene.
I guess you would have been cool with George Lucas just skipping the whole Luke vs Vader scene at the end of Empire Strikes Back because you don't need to be spoonfed.
Or the entire shoot-out in Scarface could have been skipped and instead the cops could have just shown up to find Tony's dead body because actually seeing the events unfold would have been too easy for you as a sophisticated moviegoer?
No because those are different movies :heh: It's ridiculous to want or expect every movie to follow the same routine, but that's clearly what you'd prefer. That's why you're mad at the Cohens for NCFOM. It was not a typical cat and mouse/revenge/crazy serial killer movie. It was the Cohens' take on that genre, based on a story by Cormac McCarthy. Neither of them is known for doing things the usual paint-by-numbers way.

Lol at these constant references to "pseudo-intellectualism" and "high art"...angry dismissal of anything deeper than rapping robots. Just call Obama an elitist and move to Montana while you're at it.

Scarface is a pretty shytty film, btw. The fact that it was one of your go-to "classic cinema" references also says a lot :smugdraper:

The Blind Man

Illuminated Attitude Adjuster
Daps
Reppin
The Republik of Mancunia

think you're reaching with the refs to the other movies....

it may seem odd to kill a charcter off screen, but Bell is the main character, its about him, he finds Moss body, its his story...