Nintendo throws shade at Microsoft, N not interested in ‘just blindly acquiring companies’

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s easy for a company who has had first party developers for 30 years to say that. They feed their fans refurbish garbage
Yeah they also made sure prominent franchises wouldn’t be on rivial hardware back in the nes and snes days. They were the first to pay for exclusives

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Speaking in a Japanese Nikkei interview (paywall), Shuntaro Furukawa claimed that using the company’s over ¥1 trillion ($9.45 billion) war chest to simply expand its development resources would not be prudent.

While Nintendo “will make investments if necessary”, Furukawa said its approach to M&A is based on whether potential targets can “improve the value of entertainment that Nintendo provides”.
“This is a partner that we have been working with for many years to develop various software, and we decided that we could improve the quality and speed of development by making it a subsidiary and working together,” Furukawa told Nikkei.

“We are not just blindly acquiring companies because we want development resources. We don’t think that simply expanding the scale of our business will really improve the value of the entertainment that Nintendo provides.”
Ampere Analysis analyst Piers Harding-Rolls said the buyout represented Nintendo’s first acquisition since its 2007 takeover of Xenoblade developer Monolith Soft.

“There is a backdrop of increased M&A in games, but this doesn’t signify a change in Nintendo’s strategy, more a response to NLG seeking a buyer,” he wrote in January.
Elsewhere in the Nikkei interview, Furukawa discussed Nintendo’s approach to developing and launching new gaming hardware, which he said must be able to offer consumers “new forms of entertainment”.

Switch had shipped almost 80 million consoles worldwide as of December 31, 2020, according to Nintendo.

However, Furukawa said he believed that, “no matter what kind of hit product you have, in the entertainment business, there will always be a point where people get tired of it.
nintendo.original-e1613583479805.jpg

Nintendo isn’t interested in ‘just blindly acquiring companies’, says president | VGC
Furukawa believes that increasing the size of Nintendo's teams won'
Nintendo isn't building a Netflix style streaming service of games. If anything Microsoft needs to acquire more companies to fill out the service. This is the same Nintendo that had to be dragged out of the dark ages of offline only gaming. Their current online gaming set up is shytty at best and let's be real when gaming pivots to streaming online and gamers abandon hardware which will happen Nintendo will not be in any type of position to pivot into that and will be left behind. Microsoft and Sony have built out the infrastructure so when that happens they're ahead of it. Nintendo will live and die on the business model they have right now.

I know gamers don't wanna hear it but what Microsoft is doing is absolutely the future of gaming and they will be at the forefront of it all. There will come a day where the attachment to a physical console becomes just like the attachment to a physical game and nobody is gonna care about about a portable or a console because they'll be able to game on many devices at no extra charge to buy any sort of hardware. Nintendo should absolutely get ahead of that but imagine that happening. They don't even offer in-game voice chat without using a smartphone on the Switch.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Huh you got that by reading my comment. It's not that deep. Nintendo be rehashing the same products.
One day buying a game console is gonna be like buying a DVD or Blu-Ray player. I mean outside of game consoles now I have neither plugged up to any TV and I do have a Blu-Ray player in the closet. I haven't watched a physical Blu-Ray in years. I stream everything. Hell I don't even use my DVR on my cable anymore. I haven't used my Tivo Roamio in probably a year. I just stream even that stuff.

People probably think what I'm saying is laughable but Nintendo is on borrowed time. That business model they have right now is only gonna be viable as long as people still care to buy consoles. We're at the cusp now of online streaming of games being a viable replacement for buying consoles. Almost certainly when the PS5 XBSX generation ends it will be a valid replacement. Why spend $300-$500 on hardware when you can just buy games and play them through your TV or smartphone? This whole PS5 can't find one situation vanishes when you don't need the hardware at all to play games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
One day buying a game console is gonna be like buying a DVD or Blu-Ray player. I mean outside of game consoles now I have neither plugged up to any TV and I do have a Blu-Ray player in the closet. I haven't watched a physical Blu-Ray in years. I stream everything. Hell I don't even use my DVR on my cable anymore. I haven't used my Tivo Roamio in probably a year. I just stream even that stuff.

People probably think what I'm saying is laughable but Nintendo is on borrowed time. That business model they have right now is only gonna be viable as long as people still care to buy consoles. We're at the cusp now of online streaming of games being a viable replacement for buying consoles. Almost certainly when the PS5 XBSX generation ends it will be a valid replacement. Why spend $300-$500 on hardware when you can just buy games and play them through your TV or smartphone? This whole PS5 can't find one situation vanishes when you don't need the hardware at all to play games.

The industry going 100% cloud gaming likely won’t happen anytime soon. It’s probably at LEAST 20 years away. There are too many people around the world that still rely on physical gaming because of slow internet connections and data caps. There are far more obstacles standing in the way than most people realize.

What if cloud gaming doesn’t catch on?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The industry going 100% cloud gaming likely won’t happen anytime soon. It’s probably at LEAST 20 years away. There are too many people around the world that still rely on physical gaming because of slow internet connections and data caps. There are far more obstacles standing in the way than most people realize.

What if cloud gaming doesn’t catch on?
By the end of this console generation streaming will be a real valid replacement for owning a console. The customers that don't have good internet will simply be left behind just like they are now with streaming movies. Streaming offers these companies more control and higher margins. They can cut out all the middle men and focus R&D on their servers instead of selling hardware at losses and breaking even after years. Once they have a massive subscriber base they'll simply carry that over indefinitely. Won't be a console generation reset of limited install bases as everything goes back to 0 for new hardware. It's in the console makers best interest to make this happen sooner than later.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's not shade it's the absolute truth. Them buying random companies would do absolutely nothing for them.

They are THE brand, and there focus is gameplay and quality. Having a bunch of exclusives isn't what they need to grow.