Nintendo Switch Official Thread

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Ars: Early tests show bizarre issues with Nintendo Switch voice chat app
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...oice-chat-app/

As Nintendo points out in the app's official FAQ, voice chat cannot run in the background while using your phone for other purposes such as "texts, social media, etc.":

"The voice chat will disconnect while you're talking on the phone or using another application, but your voice chat will restart in the same room once you open the Nintendo Switch Online application again as long as the game session is still ongoing."

What's more, early testing confirms that the app won't work if your phone goes into power-saving "sleep mode," with the screen inactive. And don't bother trying to use the app to chat with your Switch friends while away from the system, either: you can only join chat rooms with people when you're actively playing a specific, supported game with them.

This is all in sharp contrast to Sony and Microsoft, which have allowed simple party chat directly on their consoles—across games and at the system level—for years.

Practical impact aside, the design decision is simply baffling when you compare the Switch voice chat app to other phone-based chat solutions. Everything from Skype to Discord to the built-in phone app on your smartphone lets you continue talking to others while doing other things with the phone. For Nintendo to require its app to run in the foreground when other apps prove it's not necessary is just strange.

Calling this half-baked would be very, very generous.

UPDATE

It gets worse...

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

GameXplain said you can't even pull down the notification tray on your phone while using the app and voice chat. You immediately get cut off.

Originally Posted by Jaded Alyx

Don't have a timestamp, but the whole thing is worth listening to anyway.

:russ::russ::russ:

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I know there are times where we think Nintendo didn't try but this is the first time we can actively agree upon that Nintendo did not try with this voice chat thing.

And the fact that this is one of the most basic functions in the world, that Nintendo has done before with the DS even, is just bizarre.

And this is coming from someone who prefers not to use voice chat.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
Now i see why blizzard was hell bent on not bringing the Overwatch game to Switch. This is some inconsiderate shyt on Nintendo's part if all this fukkery plays out wen the app goes live.

It's like nobody in that office said "but please consider the following..."

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I think this shyt is fukking hilarious.

Only games i voice chatted with was gta and halo

Never with Nintendo games. They can't even get friend codes right. Instead of usernames its a long list of digits. Yeah fukk that shyt. If your ok with not having voice chat its still a good system for some online games and pretty much all local multiplayer.

the_FUTURE

Superstar
Daps
I think this shyt is fukking hilarious.

Only games i voice chatted with was gta and halo

Never with Nintendo games. They can't even get friend codes right. Instead of usernames its a long list of digits. Yeah fukk that shyt. If your ok with not having voice chat its still a good system for some online games and pretty much all local multiplayer.

Yeah, it's still a nice system, but the point here atm is if they don't want people to pay for the sub they can keep up the fukkery, if they do, then this free period better be some trial and error shyt till they get it right.

Still don't understand why a tablet style console that will have apps going forward can't have this Online switch app.

Kingshango

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Man look at how far we've come

Logitech-Socom-PS2-Headset.jpg

419J9D4VAFL.jpg

DFHWwggW0AAmxK9.jpg

Nintendo is ahead of the game.
full

The Wolf Among You

Superstar
Daps
People rating before they can use the app is actually annoying as fukk. How about actually use it first before rating

The details of the app provided by Nintendo has told us all we need to know. Using the app will not change what we already know. We as fans need to show Nintendo that this isn't acceptable.