Nintendo Switch Official Thread

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
After today I'll be shelving this thing till a better dock solution is worked out. I'll probably get Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and trade in Mario Kart 8 for it. I only docked my Switch once and no scratches but I'm not gonna risk it.

They really screwed the pooch with this dock mess.
I think this issue is overblown. Someone tested it and showed it's very hard to actually scratch.

Well, I debated doing this for a while, and then said screw it - FOR SCIENCE!

I took my Switch, and slammed it in and out of the dock (bear in mind this is a dock that's absolutely leaning in towards the back, like so many are).

Video here:

https://db.tt/wptWKJuzQm

This thing is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. I don't know how you guys are doing it. I probably slammed the Switch in 100 times or more in the course of testing. I even SQUEEZED the dock while doing it. (The smudge you see is from the rubber pad, and wipes right off).

So what's going on here?

Also, I even ran my VW car key over the screen, and it didn't scratch the screen. I wasn't going to press super HARD, but you can definitely hear the scraping sounds. No scratches, not even hairline ones.

Video here:

https://db.tt/LkgTBysW5o

I have a second dock that I placed a book in to to straighten the opening, and - yes - it definitely straightens it to a noticeable degree, but since I did the bulk of my testing on the crooked one, I don't see this as the issue.

The only thing that results from slamming the Switch in and out of the dock - is a smudge on the screen from the rubber pad, that wipes off - even with a dry/non-oily finger.

So, take that as you will, but you do NOT need a screen protector for the Switch, and the dock - in my experience - is incredibly unlikely to scratch the screen.

The only way I can see the dock scratching the screen is if there's some particle of grit that gets stuck on the rubber pad at the bottom, but that would be an extreme case.

I of course believe people are scratching their Switch consoles, but it boggles my mind how it's happening.

Anyway, this relaxes me a ton, and reminds me a good deal of the PS Vita screen. Yep, people were scratching those, too, but I haven't put a scratch on mine and it's held up super well (unlike the PSP screen, which was a scratch MAGNET and terribly non-durable).

So, there you go... have at it, and flame away as necessary. :smile:

As an aside, here's the movement difference between the straightened dock and a dock out of the box...

Vido here:

https://db.tt/7NkQbeN9Yq

And, omg #yellowgate! Which screen would you rather have? :smile:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music

Digital Foundry vid on Fast RMX showing how big of an upgrade it is over Fast Racing Neo and really showing how much more capable this machine is over the Wii U, even undocked.
They call it the most impressive looking game they've ever seen on a handheld.

Yup the game is pretty fukking amazing. Almost no slowdown. Me and my kids play two player split screen and it works amazingly.

Last edited:

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
I'm pleasantly surprised how Fast RMX's online is..haven't experienced any lag whatsoever...was afraid after the bullshyt Bomberman pulled.

Konami really didn't give two fukks, if something as simple as bomberman is laggy, and something like Fast RMX is smooth as silk.

at least konami said they're aware and will fix it in an update.

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
Anybody that has had first hand experience with this console most likely feels that there is definitely something special about it. Hopefully, this will encourage more third party developers to get on and drop us some piff. I'm ok with Microsoft and Sony carrying the more competitive natured titles, while the Switch handles the lighthearted, family oriented ones.

I'm usually pretty indifferent towards video games now, as the focus seems to have drifted away from focusing on actual gameplay somehow. So far i have four games on the switch and I've found myself getting immersed in each one of them several times a day lately. For me this launch has been a success and I'm looking forward to seeing what it has in the future.

Last edited:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Anybody that has had first hand experience with this console most likely feels that there is definitely something special about it. Hopefully, this will encourage more third party developers to get on and drop us some piff. I'm ok with Microsoft and Sony carrying the more competitive natured titles, while the Switch handles the lighthearted, family oriented ones.

I'm usually pretty indifferent towards video games now, as the focus seems to have drifted away from focusing on actual gameplay somehow. So far i have four games on the switch and I've found myself getting immersed in each one of them several times a day lately.
I like those type of titles you're referring to. Snipperlcips is :wow: but what gets me excited is getting massive games like Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey and having the ability to play those off of the TV with minimal drop in quality (and some would say the games look better in handheld mode).

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
I like those type of titles you're referring to. Snipperlcips is :wow: but what gets me excited is getting massive games like Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2 and Mario Odyssey and having the ability to play those off of the TV with minimal drop in quality (and some would say the games look better in handheld mode).

Those games are the icing on the cake. I would have never even considered the switch if MS or Sony had stronger arcade lineups tbh. For me video games are meant to be played locally, though i do understand for others that it is not the case. I think there is a very large market that's being neglected for old school players like me though, and Nintendo is in a very good spot to take advantage of it with this new system, now that we're all grown with families and disposable income.

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Those games are the icing on the cake. I would have never even considered the switch if MS or Sony had stronger arcade lineups tbh. For me video games are meant to be played locally, though i do understand for others that it is not the case. I think there is a very large market that's being neglected for old school players like me though, and Nintendo is in a very good spot to take advantage of it with this new system, now that we're all grown with families and disposable income.
Believe me, I'm one of the biggest proponents for local multiplayer.
Seeing that new Sonic Mania game, if they were to make a new Streets of Rage game like that.... :wow:
SOR never coming back though :mjcry:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
sega should let them dudes who made SoRRemake make it an official game

That game would be perfect during a time like this with the recent revivals of DD, River City, etc
That would be fine but I want a brand new game. All new stages, attacks, characters, etc.
I do feel bad for those guys though. I think that was an 8 year project and they got hit with a cease and desist as soon as they released it. I understand the business reason but when you haven't even used the ip in over 20 years beyond re-releases in comps and arcade platforms, fukk off with that