Nintendo Switch Official Thread

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I have a 20,000mah portable charger. I'll fully charge it then play zelda and when it gets low, hook it up, continue playing and see how long it lasts. Lets see... Switch battery is 4310mah so that gives me about 4 and half full charges. It's supposed to last 3 hours with Zelda. So 3 + (3 x 4) + .5 = 15.5 hrs. Damn even that's not enough for a camping trip, I'm gonna have to buy another portable charger cause I'll wanna charge my iPhone 7 Plus too.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If Nintendo would have introduced the Switch as a successor to the 3DS that can also dock as a home console rather than a home console first that can be portable it would probably be looked upon differently.
The marketing was fine. The first trailer wasn't confusing at all. You're talking about the conference marketing perhaps because everyone I asked about the Switch from casuals to hardcore gamers understood what it was exactly.

As soon as the first trailer ended they(people i asked) understood it's a system that's also a portable. Some say portable with a dock, some say a console with portable options. The trailer captured that perfectly by showing the guy just take the shyt outside on a plane, on the court etc.

I was surprised seeing people I know that don't follow gaming news too much just know what it is. It's a successor to the 3DS and Wii U. There's no need for them to state the obvious because they're still trying to sell 3DS hardware. It's their 2017 version of "third pillar" they talked when the DS first came out.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Nintendo has a few problems, but the main one is actually evident right in the title of this thread. It's their marketing.

I was wondering why nobody brought this up, but Digitalfoundry FINALLY did.

If Nintendo would have introduced the Switch as a successor to the 3DS that can also dock as a home console rather than a home console first that can be portable it would probably be looked upon differently. But I believe that Nintendo being as conservative as they are did not want to risk disappointing the handheld market with a product that has so far received mixed initial reaction. Nintendo can try to dodge or deny this all they want, but if you look at the timeline it is obvious that this is really a successor to their mobile platform rather than anything else. They just wanted to be safe about it.

This gives them an OUT and then introduce a "true successor" to the 3DS if this bombs. Even though I think most hardcore who follow this industry closely know that this is probably the route Nintendo wants to take to satisfy both the home and portable crowd forever.

With all that said I think the Switch will be fine for a few reasons:

The 3DS is old...the people who play on portables are ready to move on to something new after 6 years on the market. The release date is not a coincidence, Nintendo is stubborn and quite predictable.

GBA - March 2001 release
The DS line was their main portable for just over 6 years
3DS - March 2011 release
Switch - March 2017 release

The ports will be coming. Mario Maker (The full version, not that gimped BS 3DS version) will be incredible if Nintendo gets their head out of their asses and FINALLY figure out a COMPETENT online system. I don't even expect a GOOD online system, just COMPETENT is all we ask for.

If they can convince EA/2K to release just a SINGLE version of Madden, 2K and FIFA the system will be GOLD for people who have been dying to play sports games on the go. I am one of them, I held onto the vita for so long just because of MLB The Show.
The main problem is that motion controls were the focus of the in depth reveal

Thats where all the disappointment starts

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
1, 2 Switch is being subtly advertised as a drinking game.

It wasn't that obvious to US fans but the Japanese fans picked up on it first and that's part of what made them more hyped about the game than us.

• Dap
Reactions: Ns
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
1, 2 Switch is being subtly advertised as a drinking game.

It wasn't that obvious to US fans but the Japanese fans picked up on it first and that's part of what made them more hyped about the game than us.

they won't show it in the U.S. marketing at all but when people are playin that got damn quick draw :violent: game and the other shyt, it's all about drinking. You lose, you drink.

It ain't a game to play by yourself. You supposed to play it wit hoes like any other game, flip cup etc

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
they won't show it in the U.S. marketing at all but when people are playin that got damn quick draw :violent: game and the other shyt, it's all about drinking. You lose, you drink.

It ain't a game to play by yourself. You supposed to play it wit hoes like any other game, flip cup etc
If it was $40 instead of $50, $32 with GCU, I'd pick it up for sure at launch. Not sure I'd play anything other than quick draw but playing that and taking shots when you lose is enough for me. Good party game in theory. Although, what party would be quiet enough for you to hear the audio cues?

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
If it was $40 instead of $50, $32 with GCU, I'd pick it up for sure at launch. Not sure I'd play anything other than quick draw but playing that and taking shots when you lose is enough for me. Good party game in theory. Although, what party would be quiet enough for you to hear the audio cues?

I don't think it works at a house party with all types of shyt goin on in the background, it works as a social gathering, 6-10 people type shyt. you got a hoe u tryna smash, ya boy got his etc. or she bring a friend, just some simple shyt

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Nintendo has a few problems, but the main one is actually evident right in the title of this thread. It's their marketing.

I was wondering why nobody brought this up, but Digitalfoundry FINALLY did.

If Nintendo would have introduced the Switch as a successor to the 3DS that can also dock as a home console rather than a home console first that can be portable it would probably be looked upon differently. But I believe that Nintendo being as conservative as they are did not want to risk disappointing the handheld market with a product that has so far received mixed initial reaction. Nintendo can try to dodge or deny this all they want, but if you look at the timeline it is obvious that this is really a successor to their mobile platform rather than anything else. They just wanted to be safe about it.

This gives them an OUT and then introduce a "true successor" to the 3DS if this bombs. Even though I think most hardcore who follow this industry closely know that this is probably the route Nintendo wants to take to satisfy both the home and portable crowd forever.

With all that said I think the Switch will be fine for a few reasons:

The 3DS is old...the people who play on portables are ready to move on to something new after 6 years on the market. The release date is not a coincidence, Nintendo is stubborn and quite predictable.

GBA - March 2001 release
The DS line was their main portable for just over 6 years
3DS - March 2011 release
Switch - March 2017 release

The ports will be coming. Mario Maker (The full version, not that gimped BS 3DS version) will be incredible if Nintendo gets their head out of their asses and FINALLY figure out a COMPETENT online system. I don't even expect a GOOD online system, just COMPETENT is all we ask for.

If they can convince EA/2K to release just a SINGLE version of Madden, 2K and FIFA the system will be GOLD for people who have been dying to play sports games on the go. I am one of them, I held onto the vita for so long just because of MLB The Show.
People have been talking about this being a 3ds successor in this thread. The problem is Nintendo fukked that up with this not being backwards compatible. I'm sure they could have emulated two screens on this thing. My note 4 has a DS emulator that does this.

They are marketing (and pricing) the switch as a home console you can take on the go, but the AAA and third-party games aren't there, and don't look to be heading there anytime soon. Plus it's once again, it's too weak to be taken seriously as a home console so it's gonna end up being another Nintendo game player.

At least they could have fell back on the entire ds/3ds catalog on launch.

Third party games do well on Nintendo portables so marketing it as one was in their best interests, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

:francis:

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
whoa Constructor HD :mjgrin:

One of my personal favorites :blessed:
This game has been delayed a bunch of times though. It was originally scheduled for release early 2016. I hope this means they're not releasing it till it's perfect but I'm wary for sure

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
People have been talking about this being a 3ds successor in this thread. The problem is Nintendo fukked that up with this not being backwards compatible. I'm sure they could have emulated two screens on this thing. My note 4 has a DS emulator that does this.

They are marketing (and pricing) the switch as a home console you can take on the go, but the AAA and third-party games aren't there, and don't look to be heading there anytime soon. Plus it's once again, it's too weak to be taken seriously as a home console so it's gonna end up being another Nintendo game player.

At least they could have fell back on the entire ds/3ds catalog on launch.

Third party games do well on Nintendo portables so marketing it as one was in their best interests, but Nintendo gonna Nintendo.

:francis:
Thats what I was trying to say. The thread title itself kinda puts Nintendo in this corner that they need to compete with microsoft and sony in the home console space which can be a disaster for them.

They should have sold the switch as a handheld with an optional dock for an extra $50-$100. Bring the overall cost of what people really want down to $200 and the shyt would be hard to acquire until mid 2018. Gauge the interest in the dock itself and go from there. This approach could have worked because the screen on the handheld is 720P. The developers can they decide if they want to use the extra real estate by connecting to a dock.

Essentially you are upcharging the handheld crowd that wants the new Nintendo Piff unnecessarily IMO. Some will likely hardly EVER use the dock.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
The number one factor that bothers me about the Switch is a software issue. Will they port their greatest Wii and Wii-U titles like Bayonetta series, the HD Zeldas and the Mario series?

I have some of those games on my PC but I'd rather play through a console. fukking tired of having to set up controls for certain games and I don't wanna play on a monitor. I think I already tried hooking it up to my HDTV and there was too much lag which means I'd probably have to buy a new TV fukk that.

I'm gonna wait and see and if doesn't come I'll find a Wii-U for cheap but right now its not a priority. All I care about is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild right now.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The number one factor that bothers me about the Switch is a software issue. Will they port their greatest Wii and Wii-U titles like Bayonetta series, the HD Zeldas and the Mario series?

I have some of those games on my PC but I'd rather play through a console. fukking tired of having to set up controls for certain games and I don't wanna play on a monitor. I think I already tried hooking it up to my HDTV and there was too much lag which means I'd probably have to buy a new TV fukk that.

I'm gonna wait and see and if doesn't come I'll find a Wii-U for cheap but right now its not a priority. All I care about is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild right now.
The Wii U is a valuable console. Nintendo has long since dried up the supply on them and I don't know if you've noticed but a used Wii U trades in for more than a used PS4 on a site like Amazon. At Gamestop the Wii U trades in for $5 less than the new Slim PS4.

About the only place you can get a Wii U at retail is used or refurbished from Gamestop. Places like Amazon (direct), Target, Walmart, and the like no longer stock the console. Really if you plan to get a Wii U the time is now because as they become more and more rare the price will go up higher.