Nick Saban, welcome to Austin, TX (UPDATE: regent confirms Saban wanted Texas/dtown vindicated!)

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:
I do not see the Harbaughs leaving for Texas...is this actually considered a plausible goal? :dahell:

fukk no. Just Texas fans talking out they ass. This nikka really said the Harbaughs AND Pete Carroll. :dead:

So basically - the defending Superbowl champion, the coach he face in the Superbowl, and the guy who is probably going to the Super Bowl this year.

Good luck with that one brehs

rantanamo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk no. Just Texas fans talking out they ass. This nikka really said the Harbaughs AND Pete Carroll. :dead:

So basically - the defending Superbowl champion, the coach he face in the Superbowl, and the guy who is probably going to the Super Bowl this year.y

Do you really know their long term goals in life or are you just speculating. If the pay were equal, and you wanted to be a college coach the rest of your life, perhaps its attractive to those guys. Doesn't hurt to reach out to these guys, especially if there are personal connections between them and someone truly in the know as to how they are actually feeling. i don't think any of it will happen because Mack will be at Texas until he gets the all time wins at Texas(2 more years), but you never know 3 years down the line with how quickly things change in the NFL.

RammerJammer

#RollTide #TSC #RiseUp #BullsNation #RIPKobe
Daps
Reppin
Montgomery, Alabama

So basically - the defending Superbowl champion, the coach he face in the Superbowl, and the guy who is probably going to the Super Bowl this year.

I said they would go after Harbaugh and Sumlin due to the fact that Texas think they're on this pedestal and can get anyone...

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
No one is saying any of the NFL coaches would accept the UT position, only that UT would give them a call, and I bet at least 3 of them mull over the offer, because the UT job will pay them more than their current NFL position. David Shaw is at the top of the the list in regards to college coaches, but he is a Stanford guy thru and thru, I can't see him leaving there. There is also Strong, Fedora, and Briles and some other names out there. But UT will look NFL first, if they strike out there then they will go through the college ranks.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
No one is saying any of the NFL coaches would accept the UT position, only that UT would give them a call, and I bet at least 3 of them mull over the offer, because the UT job will pay them more than their current NFL position. David Shaw is at the top of the the list in regards to college coaches, but he is a Stanford guy thru and thru, I can't see him leaving there. There is also Strong, Fedora, and Briles and some other names out there. But UT will look NFL first, if they strike out there then they will go through the college ranks.
Fedora :heh:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Coach Shaw needs to get the fukk out of the Pac12 north. I hope to god, Texas gives that man whatever he wants to leave Stanford.

But unfortunately I am with you. I honestly think Coach Shaw and his family are content at Stanford. Not only does Coach Shaw's family love Stanford, it seems he does too.
Shaw doesn't have to go anywhere. He's the king of the West and can recruit any smart nikka with talent nation wide.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
chip brown's report this morning...i'm not sure what to believe anymore but if this shyt is true about mack blocking saban, then he's stained his legacy forever. my source has gone silent so i'll consider this entertainment fodder until then.

Mack Brown and Bill Powers never wanted Nick Saban. And they have now fractured big-money support at the top of the university by thwarting efforts by top boosters and a group of regents to land Saban for a second straight year.

Brown gave everyone a warning in November that he wasn't about to let Saban come to Texas to save the Longhorns after Brown's failed, four-year rebuilding plan had left the program at 30-20 overall, 18-17 in Big 12 play and 0-8 in their last eight games at home vs ranked opponents.

"Nick is a friend and he's done a tremendous job at Alabama," Brown told the Tim Brando Show in November. "Nick's not trying to get my job. I mean, I know Nick. So I don't have to worry about that. And if I do my job, there won't be any job to be open to get, so I think that's the other thing."

Brown was wrong on two fronts. Brown was well aware of efforts being made at that time by top boosters and a group of regents to land Saban for a second straight year. And Brown's ego was raging.

At the time of Brown's comment to Brando, Texas was on a six-game winning streak and in contention for a league title (although Texas would then suffer the worst home loss of the Mack Brown era in a 38-13 waxing by Oklahoma State).

Brown was dead man walking at 1-2 after giving up 550 yards rushing to BYU and replacing Manny Diaz with Greg Robinson, followed by a 44-23 home loss to Ole Miss. And he knew it. Saban might be coming.

Texas was a near-interception and a near-fumble away from losing at 3-9 Iowa State and fourth-and-7 away from losing to West Virginia. If any of those plays go against Texas, Brown's survival at UT would have been unsalvageable.

But in November, Texas was contending for a Big 12 title, and it didn't matter if Blackjack Mack was rolling out 9-card 21s to win games.

With 30 minutes left against Baylor, Texas still had a shot at a Big 12 title that would save Brown's job. But Texas lost the game 30-10, and UT's big-money Saban supporters were ready to accept Brown's playbook.

The sentiment of that group was revealed in an Associated Press story in September, when it was revealed current regent Wallace Hall and former regent Tom Hicks had a conversation last January with Nick Saban's agent.

According to the AP story, Tom Hicks went to Mack Brown two days later and asked him if he wanted to keep coaching. Brown said yes. The drive for Saban was put on hold, until Brown's 8-4 regular season in 2013.

Brown knew all season if he didn't meet certain criteria - 10 wins, a BCS bowl berth or at least a share of the Big 12 title - he would be stepping down because it would be too difficult to claim progress with the fan base. And the negativity would be too much.

But Brown's saving grace was that Bill Powers never wanted Nick Saban, either.

Brown and Powers knew what was coming. And that's when they began trying to delay any resignation announcement (UT's Saban supporters wanted Brown to resign Sunday after the Baylor loss).

No one ever wanted it to look like Brown was being fired. It had to look like Brown was ready to step away because the negative recruiting and constant job security questions after a failed four-year rebuilding project had become too much.

Brown knew that, and it gave him the power to control when any such announcement would come. If he waited long enough (I'm told there was a deadline of Monday, Dec. 16, for any Saban offer), Brown could kill the UT Saban supporters' efforts a second straight year.

By waiting until after Powers had received a vote of continuance as UT president from the board of regents on Thursday, Brown and Powers successfully filibustered any chance Texas had of getting Saban.

In a meeting Friday with his attorney, Joe Jamail, as well as Powers and new athletic director Steve Patterson, Brown threatened to go public with behind-the-scenes efforts to take him down, including press leaks.

That word got to Saban's camp almost immediately, and within an hour Saban had agreed to new contract at Alabama that will pay him more than $7 million per year, according to reports.

Saban was already going to be seen as a bad guy for leaving Alabama. He wasn't about to leave that situation and replace a bitter, scorned Brown in Texas' ongoing version of Game of Thrones. UT's dysfunction had already caused numerous athletic director candidates to take themselves out of consideration for the UT job.

So on Friday night Mack Brown's camp immediately starts telling reporters he was going to step down except for press leaks.

Press leaks not just to me but to Brett McMurphy, Joe Schad, Bruce Feldman, Jenn Engel and others.

Brown's blaming of press leaks was merely his way of trying to take down myself and Orangebloods.com, because we've never bought into Brown's control-the-message obsession.

But the regents and big-money supporters who have been driving changes in the athletic department and led the hire of Steve Patterson are now convinced Powers and Brown were in cahoots to make sure Saban never made it to Austin.

Brown has always put controlling the message above all else. He has ripped reporters who cover the program like Brian Jones, Jon Madani, Ahmad Brooks, Rod Babers and even Lowell Galindo of LHN, who named his son, Mack, after Mack Brown.

Mack takes everything personally. Everything. And, right now, his thin skin just cost a group of regents and powerful billionaires at Texas another shot at landing Nick Saban.

And where Texas goes from here - does Mack Brown stay or go - will tell us who is calling the shots and, perhaps, where the battle lines are being drawn among the school's wealthiest supporters.