New Series From Donald Glover ‘Swarm’ starring Dominique Fishback and Damson Idris

Daps
I’m not just talking about Donald. I’m asking why did 2 cacs portray the hood more realistically with better characters than black people have(bmf/power/snowfall/the chi )
The creators of the wire were actual Baltimore police and teachers and wrote from their own experiences and used real people from the city as actors and consultants.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I suspended belief and let it ride. I saw it as a realistic anime/Atlanta universe troupe. I was looking for Paper Boi Easter Eggs honestly. Im not saying the show was a masterpiece, bit it was pretty damn good, and I judge shows harshly. My only issue with shows get artsy is that I dont wanna be left with my conclusions. That what visual art is for. A show, movie, theatre needs to have a solid conclusion. Leaving it up to the viewer is a cowards way out. And this is why Artists all beef with writers.....they are kinda pretentious.
The 6th episode tells you what happened and the 7th episode tells it from her POV and hallucinations.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
So the worst thing any of the black men did was try to get some pvssy (no rape) and they were killed and viewed as evil.

The white men also tried to get some pvssy, they got to survive AND also got some pvssy.

Interesting. :martin:

Side note: The black men who talked shiit on Twitter were killed, the white lady who talked shiit was never assaulted, she turned her focus to a innocent black man who tried to help her and she manipulated him, eventually locking him in a freezer.

Interesting. :martin:
That was likely a hallucination with the wy guy to dissociate from actually killing her “sister”.

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
She was always a weirdo but the death of her friend sent her over the edge
She killed her friend after she wanted to leave and move in with him. She likely imagined that mall interaction. Ni’jaa was the common denominator in their relationship and why she clung to it for so long. The last episode was catharsis for Dre.

She was in love with Marissa. The clues were in episode 6. The father suspected her of being gay and into his daughter. She nearly killed the white girl for playing Marissa not about Na’jaa at the slumber party. Remember she ended up actually being gay. The same scenario ended up happening again in Atlanta about the tickets to the show.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
She killed her friend after she wanted to leave and move in with him. She likely imagined that mall interaction. Ni’jaa was the common denominator in their relationship and why she clung to it for so long. The last episode was catharsis for Dre.

She was in love with Marissa. The clues were in episode 6. The father suspected her of being gay and into his daughter. She nearly killed the white girl for playing Marissa not about Na’jaa at the slumber party. Remember she ended up actually being gay. The same scenario ended up happening again in Atlanta about the tickets to the show.
:jbhmm: you might be right on her killing her friend angle

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
:jbhmm: you might be right on her killing her friend angle
Her last gf’s argument before her being killed mirrors the last known argument before committed “suicide”. They’re broke, Dre doesn’t want to work, she’s borrowing money from her family, and in lieu of all that, she buys some Ni’jaa tickets thinking that’s going to fixed their current circumstances, and they both snapped on no longer caring about their fandom for Ni’jaa.

The detective from episode 6 provided subtext on murders are usually tied to love. In episode 5, something I caught too, is she never once denied killing their daughter.

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Her last gf’s argument before her being killed mirrors the last known argument before committed “suicide”. They’re broke, Dre doesn’t want to work, she’s borrowing money from her family, and in lieu of all that, she buys some Ni’jaa tickets thinking that’s going to fixed their current circumstances, and they both snapped on no longer caring about their fandom for Ni’jaa.

The detective from episode 6 provided subtext on murders are usually tied to love. In episode 5, something I caught too, is she never once denied killing their daughter.
Yep... I'll give it to the writers they executed this shyt real good. The detective in ep 6 was a play on that female detective from the police reality show first 48 :pachaha:

CodeBlaMeVi

Supporter
Daps
Yep... I'll give it to the writers they executed this shyt real good. The detective in ep 6 was a play on that female detective from the police reality show first 48 :pachaha:
It’s truly genius. The suicide was a cover up for how Marissa really died. We were showed it verbatim in episode 7 to the parts of her tearing up and saying she loves her.

She killed everyone else very violently except them two.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I tried to tell yall, black people in general dont like stories or writing without linear writing and those that make you think critical.

Thats why shows like Power, Godfather of Harlem and BMF are very street level. You make show that has too many layers, black folk get too annoyed at critical thinking and making their own opinions. Which is why "NOPE" was hated, even though it was well written and spoken out in the movie, alot of our people didnt understand it. We as a people like to be spoon fed stories, we dont have time to dissect and theorize in our community.

Thats why Anime was frowned upon and most of our shows dont have twists and intricate character development. Naturally, "Swarm" is gonna geaux over our heads in general. I enjoyed it and fenna run it back. Miss Fishback needs a Louisiana man.

You MUST be white

Talking about “black people get too annoyed at critical thinking”

Newsflash. Black people, which means the black audience, are NOT a monolith. Nope wasn’t “hated” its got an 83% on Rotten Tomatoes and grossed over $100 million at the box office. Atlanta seasons 3 and 4 were both acclaimed and amongst FX’s most watched series

Atlanta season 3 reviews from BLACK writers

Season 4 reviews from BLACK writers

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It’s truly genius. The suicide was a cover up for Marissa really died. We were showed it verbatim in episode 7 to the parts of her tearing up and saying she loves her.

She killed everyone else very violently except them two.

I would consider choking someone to death extremely violent.

And i’m not too sold on Dre being the one who killed Marissa. The timeline doesn’t add up and her snapping and killing Khalid only makes a modicum of sense if she “blames” him for Marissa’s death

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

I haven't seen Swarm yet but I'd point out it isn't just black writers who writing bad shyt today. It's most young writers in television regardless of color. And I think a major reason is what they consume: social media. The people who wrote The Wire, The Sopranos, and virtually every great show of the past were WRITERS. And writers READ. Books, articles, poems, whatever. Writers are voracious readers, and that influences how they create dialogue, present drama, etc. A large portion of television writing today boils down to young writers regurgitating Twitter because they don't read. Dialogue is often brief and exaggerated, like a viral tweet. Comedy is often on-the-nose and flagrant, like a Vine/Tiktok. Nothing is subtle, identity trumps characterization, and characters are good because they believe good/acceptable things.

Just from the outside looking in, I'm baffled at the name of this show given that it's somewhat inspired by toxic fandom and Beyonce. Bey-hive....bee hive....swarm. Nobody thought that was too on the nose because everything the writers consume is too on the nose thanks to social media. I also read the show deliberately wanted the main character to be evil or unlikable, with limited backstory for the actress to go off. IE she's a bad person so why should you sympathize with her! She's bad! No subtlety, no nuance. Think about the era of television we fukked with. The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire. Full of deplorable characters who felt like human beings you could - at times - sympathize with. Or identify with. VS the modern "good people are good people and bad people are bad people" approach to film/tv.

dangerranger

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I haven't seen Swarm yet but I'd point out it isn't just black writers who writing bad shyt today. It's most young writers in television regardless of color. And I think a major reason is what they consume: social media. The people who wrote The Wire, The Sopranos, and virtually every great show of the past were WRITERS. And writers READ. Books, articles, poems, whatever. Writers are voracious readers, and that influences how they create dialogue, present drama, etc. A large portion of television writing today boils down to young writers regurgitating Twitter because they don't read. Dialogue is often brief and exaggerated, like a viral tweet. Comedy is often on-the-nose and flagrant, like a Vine/Tiktok. Nothing is subtle, identity trumps characterization, and characters are good because they believe good/acceptable things.

Just from the outside looking in, I'm baffled at the name of this show given that it's somewhat inspired by toxic fandom and Beyonce. Bey-hive....bee hive....swarm. Nobody thought that was too on the nose because everything the writers consume is too on the nose thanks to social media. I also read the show deliberately wanted the main character to be evil or unlikable, with limited backstory for the actress to go off. IE she's a bad person so why should you sympathize with her! She's bad! No subtlety, no nuance. Think about the era of television we fukked with. The Sopranos, Mad Men, The Wire. Full of deplorable characters who felt like human beings you could - at times - sympathize with. Or identify with. VS the modern "good people are good people and bad people are bad people" approach to film/tv.