New Series From Donald Glover ‘Swarm’ starring Dominique Fishback and Damson Idris

Daps
I tried to tell yall, black people in general dont like stories or writing without linear writing and those that make you think critical.

Thats why shows like Power, Godfather of Harlem and BMF are very street level. You make show that has too many layers, black folk get too annoyed at critical thinking and making their own opinions. Which is why "NOPE" was hated, even though it was well written and spoken out in the movie, alot of our people didnt understand it. We as a people like to be spoon fed stories, we dont have time to dissect and theorize in our community.

Thats why Anime was frowned upon and most of our shows dont have twists and intricate character development. Naturally, "Swarm" is gonna geaux over our heads in general. I enjoyed it and fenna run it back. Miss Fishback needs a Louisiana man.
:mjpls:

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road

As much I have heard complaints about black shows shoddy writing via Power, BMF and Tyler Perry etc. you know danggone well that the shows catered to us are lacking in depth in the writing department. Thats why shows like 'Atlanta' are considered 'outsider' shows. "Atlanta" is normalized Realistic Anime. Donald Glover is proof that only the black weirdos can write. Normal black folk who arent weird or nerdy cannot do this. You mag call us Artsy....or artistic..but naw...the avg black person does not like story heavy stories....check how many actually read books. :ufdup:

Daps
This has nothing to do with black people not liking deep stories. This has everything to do with people like Glover and peele trying to mirror white art too much and the audience noticing it more. The story was way too artsy, had plot issues, it was about a :mjpls: serial killer with undiagnosed mental illness with inspirations from, Hitchcock, Kubrick , Midsummer, Night Crawler, and Scream with a Spin. You can tell this was a lot of their source material in the writers' room. It all falls apart because that’s all this is fr, Donald’s and ole girl version of a white IP that already exists. When you mirror their art too much, you’re always going to have to get weirder and weirder, because the crank that killer episode in Atlanta season 4 felt like an early rough draft for this.

By the time she had killed the eighth person with no repercussions

:unimpressed:

Superstar
Daps
This has nothing to do with black people not liking deep stories. This has everything to do with people like Glover and peele trying to mirror white art too much and the audience noticing it more. The story was way too artsy, had plot issues, it was about a :mjpls: serial killer with undiagnosed mental illness with inspirations from, Hitchcock, Kubrick , Midsummer, Night Crawler, and Scream with a Spin. You can tell this was a lot of their source material in the writers' room. It all falls apart because that’s all this is fr, Donald’s and ole girl version of a white IP that already exists. When you mirror their art too much, you’re always going to have to get weirder and weirder, because the crank that killer episode in Atlanta season 4 felt like an early rough draft for this.

What’s “white” about “artsy”.

Daps
What’s “white” about “artsy”.
“We just thought it’d be fun to make a post-truth Piano Teacher mixed with The King of Comedy,” Glover tells VF”
“I think in entertainment or art it’s important to know the difference between things,” Glover said. “Like, Anthony Bourdain wasn’t pretentious, but he definitely knew the difference between a dry aged wagyu and a smash burger.
Donald let us know

God Of Art

TheColi's Favorite Artist
Daps
Reppin
Port City Louisiana Cooper Road

I suspended belief and let it ride. I saw it as an realistic anime/Atlanta universe troupe. I was looking for Paper Boi Easter Eggs honestly. Im not saying the show was a masterpiece, bit it was pretty damn good, and I judge shows harshly. My only issue with shows get artsy is that I dont wanna be left with my conclusions. That what visual art is for. A show, movie, theatre needs to have a solid conclusion. Leaving it up to the viewer is a cowards way out. And this is why Artists all beef with writers.....they are kinda pretentious.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs

So explain why The Wire was created by 2 cacs and did a more realistic portrayal of the inner city than any of these black shows out now?

NeoSeeker

GOAT human
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
As long as they keep cranking out the stuff I enjoy I don’t care too much if they become a household name. We need niche stuff as much as we need mainstream stuff. Atlanta went out perfect in my eyes. I don’t hold this show in the same regard, but I did enjoy it exactly how it was. It didn’t take itself too seriously, as a show; I hope most people didn’t take it too seriously either. It was just a weird show to tell us a weird story and make us chuckle.

I wish there was another episode or two. She reminded me of a mashup of the lady from “serial mom”, Annie Wilkes from “misery”, and a socially awkward/impotent/asexual Ted bunny lol. It was also cool to see how they de-glamorized her more and more as the series went on, plus the bite scene had me and my girl dying.

I hope Dominique gets some awards out of this and bigger roles. Most of the cast acted their asses off

Edit: and I only mention Nas/Jay Stan’s as a joke since the show to something relatively grounded and simple to make it large and absurd lol

Right. Black creatives should have the freedom to tell the same stories as everyone else. Saying Peele and Glover have to keep their work simple to be enjoyed by Black people is really insulting, to them and us.

As far as Black Twitter goes... they are so inconsistent, there's no telling what they'll like. They don't like Tyler Perry. They don’t like Donald Glover. They don't like slave or struggle stories. They look for reasons to dump on Jordan Peele. You can't write for social media. People will critique and think piece everything on Twitter.

Daps
So explain why The Wire was created by 2 cacs and did a more realistic portrayal of the inner city than any of these black shows out now?
Donald has a history of comparing/ equating his work to white content, this doesn’t mean it’s trash. He even references super niche movies people most people haven’t seen for the inspiration for swarm. There was a call sheet for Atlanta writers from 2015 that suggested that they watch shows like fleabag, master of none, and bo jack-horseman, and said something like they wanted to bring the black experience with the vibes of those shows. The creators of the wire were actual Baltimore police and teachers and wrote from their own experiences and used real people from the city as actors and consultants. These two examples aren’t the same. You’ve been in the Atlanta thread you’ve seen all the references to obscure white media they make in the show from tartare to Cristina’s world painting. Donald puts their art on a pedestal, a lot of the time it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Donald has a history of comparing/ equating his work to white content, this doesn’t mean it’s trash. He even references super niche movies people most people haven’t seen for the inspiration for swarm. There was a call sheet for Atlanta writers from 2015 that suggested that they watch shows like fleabag, master of none, and bo jack-horseman, and said something like they wanted to bring the black experience with the vibes of those shows. The creators of the wire were actual Baltimore police and teachers and wrote from their own experiences and used real people from the city as actors and consultants. These two examples aren’t the same. You’ve been in the Atlanta thread you’ve seen all the references to obscure white media they make in the show from tartare to Cristina’s world painting. Donald puts their art on a pedestal, a lot of the time it works, sometimes it doesn’t.
I’m not just talking about Donald. I’m asking why did 2 cacs portray the hood more realistically with better characters than black people have(bmf/power/snowfall/the chi )