New Playstation 5 ‘Slim’ Announced

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
So the day the "servers" go off is the day Sony Playstation as an entity no longer exists and even then, there were millions of physical PS5 consoles sold already as well as a physical slim PS5 so this point about game preservation being removed was kind of premature.
It’s not about game preservation. The original PS5 still exist and I feel like it’s the definitive version to get.

This product is inferior to the one on the market. It’s ridiculous you have to activate a disc drive online anyway. At some point it won’t be financially advantageous for them to keep those activation servers live anymore. When they stop selling the hardware in stores how long after that will they feel obliged to?

In the distant future the activation status of the disc drive will be something else that has to be accounted for when people look for hardware. Will there even be a way to confirm that without having the product in front of you?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
This product is inferior to the one on the market. It’s ridiculous you have to activate a disc drive online anyway. At some point it won’t be financially advantageous for them to keep those activation servers live anymore. When they stop selling the hardware in stores how long after that will they feel obliged to?

Its not really inferior its a lateral refresh. Its smaller, has more HD space and allows you the option of upgrades. There’s probably other under the hood fixes as well that the base model has

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s not about game preservation. The original PS5 still exist and I feel like it’s the definitive version to get.

In the distant future the activation status of the disc drive will be something else that has to be accounted for when people look for hardware. Will there even be a way to confirm that without having the product in front of you?
PS5 slim will have a physical disc option for those who are worried that some server won't be online to activate their disc drive. Besides why even assume the server to do that will be some separate, expensive server just racking up expenses for one purpose? I highly doubt that. Same way you can still go and download PS3 firmware files from Sony even though the PS3 is 16 years old. I don't think it's the same thing as running a server for a multiplayer game.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The stand was downgraded so you need a $30 stand to sit the device a certain way. The previous system had one stand that did both and it was included.

The price of the digital edition was raised. The argument could be made it comes with a larger hard drive. The physical version also comes with a larger hard drive and cost the same and the previous version.

The disc drive requires an internet connection activation. The previous version worked out of the box without that.

I mean this is a new version of a product and it's a downgrade. The reason they revise products like this is to save on manufacturing cost. Well they're clearly not passing any of that savings on to the customer. In fact the price in many cases is increasing.

This is what happens when companies become too dominate. They start thinking how to exploit their customer base. In video games that customer base defends their own exploitation. This is Nintendo level fukkery. How did they allegedly improve this product in ways that just cost consumers more and have hoops to jump through.

This has Jim Ryan's fukk you pay me attitude all over it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The stand was downgraded so you need a $30 stand to sit the device a certain way. The previous system had one stand that did both and it was included.

Being able to stand your console vertically is not a necessity. The PS2 was advertised vertical and neve came with a stand either.

The price of the digital edition was raised. The argument could be made it comes with a larger hard drive. The physical version also comes with a larger hard drive and cost the same and the previous version.
This is no more physical and digital version, theres one ps5. One comes with a discounted blu ray drive and one doesn’t. It’s 450, the benefit of the price increase is you are not locked out to physical media anymore if you should change your mind.

You’re just complaining to complain, most people here already have a ps5 that want one and anyone sitll waiting can keep waiting for a discount at this point if they feel its too expensive.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Being able to stand your console vertically is not a necessity. The PS2 was advertised vertical and neve came with a stand either.

This is no more physical and digital version, theres one ps5. One comes with a discounted blu ray drive and one doesn’t. It’s 450, the benefit of the price increase is you are not locked out to physical media anymore if you should change your mind.

You’re just complaining to complain, most people here already have a ps5 that want one and anyone sitll waiting can keep waiting for a discount at this point if they feel its too expensive.
This isn't complaining this is pointing out that the new version of the product is inferior to the previous version and in some cases cost more with more hoops to jump through.

Anybody that has a PS5 right now has a disc drive that's paired to the console. They do it at the factory. If you pull a disc drive out of one PS5 and put it in another it won't work. The new console rejects the drive. One has to wonder then if the disc drive is now a separate product I now buy off the shelf and activate can I resell it if I decide I don't want it anymore? If my PS5 breaks and I buy another PS5 can I clear the activation and pair it with a new console? How much you wanna bet the answer to those questions is no you can't.

We in the online pass era for physical disc drives. The Microsoft concerned trolls can stop because you can't do shyt really with an Xbox Series console without it going online for the initial setup and they're dropping the disc drive all together on the next model so they're even worse.