New cars are such a ripoff

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Better off financially.

Because you would be paying significantly less for basically the same car.

Agreed, but if you find something with low mileage (say under 20K) I doubt the maintenance costs will be much more than a new one unless it's a shytty car.

Bought a Civic a couple years ago with about 45K miles, put another 15K on since and I haven't had to do anything beyond oil changes.
Show me a used car being significantly cheaper than a new car
People in here saying a car isn't an investment, as if they drive them until they have to be scrapped in the junkyard and buried. :mjlol:
90% of you are going to end up re-selling your car at some point and you know it. That makes it an investment.
The other 10% only don't end up selling because they totaled it before it could happen.
Certain vehicles maintain their value stronger than others, others depreciate more quickly. You buy a big ass truck in 2014 , some cac is still going to pay you a nice stack for it 2024 so he can offroad and go hunting with it. You buy a compact ford fiesta in 2014, you be lucky to get $800 for it in 2024.
Meaning if you are in the market for a fiesta, you might as well buy it used.
This doesn’t make it an investment

When you use to sell old games at GameStop did that mean you were investing in them?

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Show me a used car being significantly cheaper than a new car

This doesn’t make it an investment

When you use to sell old games at GameStop did that mean you were investing in them?
Literally the only reason some people still buy physically copies of games, to get a small return on the investment.

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
Cars are terrible investments. You pay $40k for something that’ll be worth $20k 2-4 years later.

Unless you coppin a Porsche… but nah cars are terrible.
A car isn’t an investment though…it’s a tool.

What you said is akin to saying “a new refrigerator is a terrible investment…two years later it’s only worth 50% of what you paid for it”.

The value that you get out of a car, or a refrigerator, is its practical utility, not its ability or inability to appreciate in dollar amount.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
A car isn’t an investment though…it’s a tool.

What you said is akin to saying “a new refrigerator is a terrible investment…two years later it’s only worth 50% of what you paid for it”.

The value that you get out of a car, or a refrigerator, is its practical utility, not its ability or inability to appreciate in dollar amount.
People rarely re-sells their fridge when they want to upgrade. They usually keep it until it stops working then junk it and buy a new.
People buy and sell their personal vehicles all the time. its ability to maintain value is very important.
Used car market is literally bigger than the new car market. We sell maybe 10 to 20 million new cars a year, but 50 to 60 million used cars per year. It is most certainly an investment.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
People in here saying a car isn't an investment, as if they drive them until they have to be scrapped in the junkyard and buried. :mjlol:
90% of you are going to end up re-selling your car at some point and you know it. That makes it an investment.
The other 10% only don't end up selling because they totaled it before it could happen.
Certain vehicles maintain their value stronger than others, others depreciate more quickly. You buy a big ass truck in 2014 , some cac is still going to pay you a nice stack for it 2024 so he can offroad and go hunting with it. You buy a compact ford fiesta in 2014, you be lucky to get $800 for it in 2024.
Meaning if you are in the market for a fiesta, you might as well buy it used.
:unimpressed:you call something an investment if the goal is to profit off of it. We don't buy to make money, we buy them to drive because we are adults and this is America. Having to rely on mass transportation or other adults to move around you living area is something literally children do. In some regions of this country, not having a means of transportation is an severe handicap in all aspects of llife. How you going to be an adult when a kid has more freedom of movement than you?

And even if you were to stretch the definition of an investment, a car is still a worth while investment. It makes traveling to work, for food or priceless extremely convenient which is priceless those are miles away from your home.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I agree with the premise of this thread. You're better off buying the same car used with low mileage.

Never bought new and probably never will unless I get so rich it doesn't matter.

my car is a 2015. I bought it in early 2017 and it only had 15K miles, so the first person obviously took the HUGE depreciation hit.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
:unimpressed:you call something an investment if the goal is to profit off of it.
or obtain some material result.
Like when you invest in your kids education, you are not profiting, but instead hoping they gain the ability to become independent.
When reselling a car you bought there is potential for both. I bought a old saturn off craigslist for $850 bucks to teach my girlfriend how to drive in.
When we no longer needed it, i was able to sell the car for $1500.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
or obtain some material result.
Like when you invest in your kids education, you are not profiting, but instead hoping they gain the ability to become independent.
When reselling a car you bought there is potential for both. I bought a old saturn off craigslist for $850 bucks to teach my girlfriend how to drive in.
When we no longer needed it, i was able to sell the car for $1500.
:hubie:I'm not saying you can't make a profit of a car, it's just not asset. A house is an asset. Bonds. Children. Land. Bottom bytches/nikkas. Art. Certain types of pets. Not a car. The value they bring to our lives offsets the small loss in our net worth......Like a side bytch/nikka.