Netflix snuck a new classic out: Squid Game

jericho

The North Remembers
Daps
Reppin
Started this on Tuesday and finished tonight

Episode 6 was fukking depressing as hell. That poor married couple
:sadcam:

Saw the twist with the brother being the Front Man as soon as the Cop saw his name as a winner from a few years back. Guessing S2 will be a mix of flashbacks and present day with the Cop surviving and closing in on the whole operation

The Old Man's plot line.... went from feeling happy for him getting some joy before he dies to feeling sad yet respect for the way he went out to feeling betrayed and in awe of this man and his entire hustle

:ohlawd:

Incredible show

jericho

The North Remembers
Daps
Reppin
Feel like this might be better off as 1 season only. No chance Netflix wastes an opportunity to milk this but worried where they go and how they can keep this from falling the fukk off

:patrice:

LordDeathwatch

Valar Morghulis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore, MD / Charlotte, NC
The Gganbu episode better win all the awards. Emmy, Golden Globe, BAFTA, all of them.

Or else :ufdup:
KtH3qBFOe-Ap8Tprc9JKl7bcvuHQtiDiyuwMZtlWCdg.gif

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Feel like this might be better off as 1 season only. No chance Netflix wastes an opportunity to milk this but worried where they go and how they can keep this from falling the fukk off

:patrice:
Even with the cliffhanger, I definitely agree this feels more like a miniseries than a true 1st chapter in an unfolding multiple-season series.

That being said, I agree they'd be stupid not to do a sequel, and I'm really interested in seeing where they go with it.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
While reading through this thread, something hit me about Gi-hun that made me see him in a different light.

When he tried to call a vote to end the game in the middle of the final game, the VIPs acted surprised. They've been watching the "games" take place since the 90's, but this is apparently the FIRST time that a player found the loophole in "Rule 3" that says that players can call for a vote to end the game during a game, as opposed to in between games. So in 3 decades Gi-hun is probably the first player out of maybe 10,000 other players to figure out an exploit that can actually totally break the game. IF he had figured this out during the middle of the marble game, then the majority of players (who had already been voting to continue) would have probably immediately flipped their votes to dropping out. So, I give Gi-hun credit for being the first Squid Game winner to figure out what none of the other winners like the "Front Man" could figure out before.

The Squid Game only works if the players have faith in the false illusion that teams of players can get together and win as a group. Once they realize that "teamwork" is meaningless, even most of the people on the way to winning the marble game would vote to drop out.
I didn't think about any of that. Great points.

Yeah, and honestly I feel dumb, but even I was under the illusion that there might be multiple winners up until the marble game. I didn't assume it was a winner take all situation. I think the fact that they added to the prize money by counting down every player that died in real time added to the effect. If they said what all the prize money would actually be up front, everyone would've voted to stop playing.

I thought it was very interesting that Il-Nam and the Front Man kept insisting that the game was fair, and everyone had an equal chance of winning. it seemed like they really believed that shyt, and that it wasn't just some bullshyt they were repeating because it sounded nice. The reality is that there was coercion and all sorts of fukkery all over the place that made the game incredibly unfair. But I guess that's one of the themes of the show.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Agree with the "very entertaining, weak ending" crowd.

Only episode I don't like so far is 6
The. VIPs came in and the tonal shift is:hhh: whenever they're on screen

It was ep. 7 but YES! That shyt bothered me to no end. Worst episode by far. Specially because they forced lines of dialogue that added nothing (just repeated the same shyt we were already watching) just to make them sound like cartoon villains/a$$holes :beli:

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps
Agree with the "very entertaining, weak ending" crowd.

It was ep. 7 but YES! That shyt bothered me to no end. Worst episode by far. Specially because they forced lines of dialogue that added nothing (just repeated the same shyt we were already watching) just to make them sound like cartoon villains/a$$holes :beli:
That's how Americans are portrayed in alot of foreign shows. It's either what you saw on this show or a short kick-ass woman. It's a stereotype based off Cinema.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
That's how Americans are portrayed in alot of foreign shows. It's either what you saw on this show or a short kick-ass woman It's a stereotype based off Cinema.

can you blame them? Cacs are :scust: for the most part..

Thinking about a possible season 2 and how it will be years before we ever see one got me tight :francis:

Ill-Yaz

FA Cup winning fan
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just watched the first episode of Alice in Borderland.

What a crock of shyt :laugh:

Does it get better? :thumbsdown:

Yeah so the show definitely picks up the pace after the second episode

BUT

why the fukk did they end the beach? That was easily the best part of the show. They should have made that the background scene for the show and developed the characters they introduced. I have ZERO interest in watching 4 people walk around in the wilderness competing in games. Fuked the whole show up.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I didn't think about any of that. Great points.

Yeah, and honestly I feel dumb, but even I was under the illusion that there might be multiple winners up until the marble game. I didn't assume it was a winner take all situation. I think the fact that they added to the prize money by counting down every player that died in real time added to the effect. If they said what all the prize money would actually be up front, everyone would've voted to stop playing.

I thought it was very interesting that Il-Nam and the Front Man kept insisting that the game was fair, and everyone had an equal chance of winning. it seemed like they really believed that shyt, and that it wasn't just some bullshyt they were repeating because it sounded nice. The reality is that there was coercion and all sorts of fukkery all over the place that made the game incredibly unfair. But I guess that's one of the themes of the show.

Yeah, they pretend its "fair", but their definition of fairness is not really what I would consider fair.
For example, the game masters encouraged violence in between the games. So, they're actually giving an unfair advantage to people that are physically stronger, in addition to the advantage these people have IN the games that involve tests of strength.

Just thought of something else:
one of the reasons women weren't getting picked for some of the team games was because the contestants figured out that the majority of games involve a component of physical strength. Then, in the end you find out that the specific games chosen were chosen because those where the games that an old Korean man would have played during his own childhood. So there's an extra layer of unfairness, because he's a man and little girls probably mostly played a totally different set of games. Not to even mention that Ali didn't even grow up in Korea, so he's also at a huge disadvantage.

The idea that the games are "fair" is a real joke.

I don't want to give the show depth that isn't really there...but I kind of wonder if they're intentionally making a comment on how even in a society with a theoretical "level playing field", if you're a member of the old boys club you still end up with an advantage.

Basically, the more similar you are to the old man, the more likely you are to win it all.