Neon Genesis Evangelion>>>Dusty Azz American Cartoons

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Care to explain how the spear of longinus relates to it's original Christian myth? Not even kidding if you can explain how the Christian terms actually relate to their original stories besides surface nonsense, I'm down to hear it...the magi, the need to have that one thing on the crucifix, the spear...all that shyt.

google breh. there are a few videos and articles. its not as 'deep' as people try to make it, but its not just tossed in there just for the fukk of it. Anno is a nut, so he mixed up qabalah, greek shyt, some sumerian and christian shyt.
It is random. Most of the stuff was just Anno saying "that looks/sounds cool" and adding it to the series.

Doesn't take away from the fact that it was piff though :manny:

its not random within the context of the story. but if brehs is looking for it to really corelate to the bible or some shyt, then nah. the shyt is more of a psychological trip of depressed ass Anno

Mr. Negative

Illumination, awesome. Interpretation; awkward
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
yeah, Anno said he was "showing happy ass kids what life was really like"

uh huh.

and sorry. Despite the first reaction of folks being :gladbron::gladbron::gladbron: the first time they see some animated fukkery that isn't mickey mouse, Eva isn't the be all and end all.

Severely overrated.

I put it into the same category as Ninja Scroll, Akira, DBZ, Urotsukidoji, etc. etc....

They'll always have their fans, but anyone introduced to the medium even 5 years after those works will find them mediocre at best.

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
google breh. there are a few videos and articles. its not as 'deep' as people try to make it, but its not just tossed in there just for the fukk of it. Anno is a nut, so he mixed up qabalah, greek shyt, some sumerian and christian shyt.

its not random within the context of the story. but if brehs is looking for it to really corelate to the bible or some shyt, then nah. the shyt is more of a psychological trip of depressed ass Anno

Yeah, if he's mixing symbolism from a bunch of religions without actual correlations to the religions...it's just random symbolism thrown together.

If he had called the Spear of Longinus, the clone spear or any dumb ish, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

If there's no actual connection to the religions...it's random. The assistant director even said they just threw it in to make things mysterious...that's about all google turned up for me.

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
Yeah, if he's mixing symbolism from a bunch of religions without actual correlations to the religions...it's just random symbolism thrown together.

If he had called the Spear of Longinus, the clone spear or any dumb ish, it wouldn't have made a bit of difference.

If there's no actual connection to the religions...it's random. The assistant director even said they just threw it in to make things mysterious...that's about all google turned up for me.
:leon: [slaimon]you may be right[/slaimon]

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
didnt finish it... i prefer code geass

finished it... I prefer code geass.

The NGE series left me with the hardest :mindblown: and not in a good way. It just made me think that the entire series and the folks behind it were pretentious a$$holes.

MidniteJay

無敵
Supporter
Daps
Ive never watched Eva but i heard Shinji is a little bytch though...

To be fair. Most mecha shows have the main hero usually a kid get over their fear unrealistically quick when they drop into a cockpit of a giant robot with the huge responsibility to save the world.

Shinji is a realistic portrayal of a 14 year old kid who wasn't bout dat life in the first place who was put to task in becoming a fighter for mankind. Many kids would either run away from that or become a wreck after getting in an EVA.

Thing is fans watching the show were all like :childplease: and didn't want to hear or see any of that bytch ass shyt, they just wanted him to man up.

TheFryingDutchman

Grad School is killing me:damn:
Daps
To be fair. Most mecha shows have the main hero usually a kid get over their fear unrealistically quick when they drop into a cockpit of a giant robot with the huge responsibility to save the world.

Shinji is a realistic portrayal of a 14 year old kid who wasn't bout dat life in the first place who was put to task in becoming a fighter for mankind. Many kids would either run away from that or become a wreck after getting in an EVA.

Thing is fans watching the show were all like :childplease: and didn't want to hear or see any of that bytch ass shyt, they just wanted him to man up.

Ive always liked a MC who has that progression from being weak/scared into a strong person. Having a kid who has the :hmm: face on when he gets a gun or sword pointed at his head always has me:stopitslime::stopitslime:

Metta World Movement

Peace and love...to all!!
Daps

That's why the ending to 2.0 had me like :ooh:

Dude went into beast mode to get at Rei.....never saw him like that before :wow:

Mr. Negative

Illumination, awesome. Interpretation; awkward
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Mississippi Cotton Field
reading the replies here about the random christian/judeo sprinklings and symbolism in NGE made me realize two things:

1. How much the PS1 game XenoGears is the same way- random jewish symbolism all around

2. How easily we are "WOW"ed we are when other cultures start using said symbolism in a mythological way.

and no, that's not a putdown to anyone in this thread. I was just as wowed by the use of the spear of destiny, angels as the bad guys and the tree of life on Gendo's floor as the next kid, once I read up on what it was.

Swiggy

The King of Comedy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit, MI
That's why the ending to 2.0 had me like :ooh:

Dude went into beast mode to get at Rei.....never saw him like that before :wow:

Real talk, Shinji G'd up and said "fukk the world, my boo need me" :birdman:

The best was how they jumped on that moment when he ran back to Nerv to bause up to his pops like "Ain't no one drivin mama but me, nikka" :comeon:

Then he went out, beasted that angel that was sonning the living fukk outta the Geofront, then Shang Tsung'd Rei out of the angel :wow:

Y'all nikkas wish you could end the earf just to save yo bytch. Shinji DA GAWD got yo bytch, nikka :pacspit: