Neil deGrasse Tyson responds to Terrance Howard

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
I asked because I question his motives. There are MANY idiots, all over this here internet, talking some crazy shyt. I question the visuals of one bm calling another, essentially, an idiot for the amusement of the wider world. But I looked at his wiki and I think I get it.

In an undated interview at Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Tyson talked about being black and one of the most visible and well-known scientists in the world. He told a story about being interviewed about a plasma burst from the sun on a local Fox affiliate in 1989. "I'd never before in my life seen an interview with a black person on television for expertise that had nothing to do with being black. And at that point, I realized that one of the last stereotypes that prevailed among people who carry stereotypes is that, sort of, black people are somehow dumb. I wondered, maybe... that's a way to undermine this sort of, this stereotype that prevailed about who's smart and who's dumb. I said to myself, 'I just have to be visible, or others like me, in that situation.' That would have a greater force on society than anything else I could imagine."[73][74]

So, basically, TH's... hypotheses upset him in a very personal way. His peers were laughing at the ignorance of a bm and he had to defend himself, to prove to wp that ALL bm ain't that stupid.

Not for nothing, this is the vibe I got off it, nice to get some confirmation.
I think you misunderstood. Terrance mentioned him 1st on Rogan and claimed he somehow insulted his work. What Neil essentially did is say "I didn't insult him, I essentially peer reviewed his work and brought up criticisms like I would with any work." Actually going through those 32 pages is more respect than many in the scientific community would probably give Howard.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I just watched a few episodes in 2020/2021 to see why he was so popular. It's not something I regularly watch, that shyt is brain poison lol.

Honestly his views on race/aliens are worse than that. He doesn't believe aliens birthed white people, but he believes every (black and brown) ancient civilization was built by aliens. Either directly or via influence. So the Egyptians built the pyramids with alien help, Atlantis was real, multiple highly advanced civilizations existed before the world was reset by global catastrophes, etc. And all the progress black and brown (African, Mexican, Arab, Inca/Native American, etc) people made while white people were hiding in caves came from aliens.
Are you sure? White supremacists believe both: that the aliens built the ancient civs AND that rh negative blood type was given to them by said aliens. This is how they square the archaeological circle.

HarlemHottie

Uptown Thoroughbred
Daps
Reppin
#ADOS
I think you misunderstood. Terrance mentioned him 1st on Rogan and claimed he somehow insulted his work. What Neil essentially did is say "I didn't insult him, I essentially peer reviewed his work and brought up criticisms like I would with any work." Actually going through those 32 pages is more respect than many in the scientific community would probably give Howard.
You're actually proving my point. I'm almost certain that NGT is not running around the internet, devoting podcast minutes to everyone who dare speaketh his name.

He felt compelled to address TH for the reasons HE stated, because he was embarrassed in front of his peers.

Devilinurear

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're actually proving my point. I'm almost certain that NGT is not running around the internet, devoting podcast minutes to everyone who dare speaketh his name.

He felt compelled to address TH for the reasons HE stated, because he was embarrassed in front of his peers.
Naw he did because Howard wad trending and he runs a youtube channel. If you want you want to get paid you follow what's trending

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

You're doing way too much here. I'm not sure it's possible to convince you cause you're certain you have the answer for what's going on in another man's mind, but there hasn't been any sort of science topic that has been going as viral as Terrance Howard's shyt.

He responded because science communication is his topic and its one of the biggest things people are talking about online. Name some sort of science misinformation with comparable buzz that NDT hasn't talked about. Flat Earth? UFOs? Vaccine conspiracies? Moon Landing? He's covered all of those.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Watched the entire video and Tyson was adequate and thoughtful in his responses. One thing I did not see was a dismantling of the other claims concerning symmetry, energy, electromagnetic fields,and his claim concerning the geometric shapes that tell us something about objective reality. I would have liked to have him talk about that more than harping on the square root part and then in broad statements son Terrance for being misguided. I agree with his conclusion but he seemed to thread lightly on some of the other claims besides the mathematics.
Saw this too

And Terrence only brought him up because thats what happened. He brought his idea to NDT and dude shredded it… which he should have if it’s entirely incorrect

But TheColi’s insistance that dude is crazy because he’s an “actor” saying this shyt is laughable… like youre only supposed to be good at ONE thing in life, and youre not supposed to continue to study, read, learn, etc.

And there are other scientists that agree a lot of what Terrence is saying.. and even if they don’t outright agree, they are atleast receptive and think he has an understanding of what he’s talking about but may be misguided on certain things.. but thats what peer reviews are for, to check the work.

A lot of people didn’t fully agree with some of the most famous scientists in history on certain subjects and even they were incorrect sometimes, but the knowledge in science literally changes day by day. Tesla used to get his ideas shredded as well and there were people specifically out to demean his work (Edison is one). You think they wanted free 0-point energy for people on this planet?

Howard has the backing of some scientific minds in his corner. He was just at a school showing off his models to younger kids and came prepared to show and debate with the instructors too.. nobody debated, they were interested in what he had to say. I think the drone thing he has going on is awesome

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
I feel the opposite. I feel more qualified people like him should be readily available to dispute nonsense spewed by the social media personalities and celebrities. There's a pandemic of anti intellectualism that veils over our lives especially on the internet and in media.
I see where you're coming from, and agree that you make valid points, particularly about the anti-intellectualism plaguing our society.

But why do we need someone who, with the education and intellect of NDT, could be spending their time and energy on the most profound universal mysteries to deal with such idiots?

The average person should have the level of discernment to dismiss such bafoonery. It's just reinforcing the pattern of a "need for an authority online" to tell us what's what. Granted Tyson is a valid authority on this subject, but my point, and issue with it, is we should be smart enough to not need a highly intelligent, possibly genius level, individual to tell us that Terrance Howard is an idiot who is full of shyt on this topic.

I personally question how much this response moves the needle. The people who knew Howard was an idiot gets reinforcement of what we already knew. The Howard nut riders are probably :unimpressed:to what Tyson has to say about this topic.

Diunx

Probably drunk
Daps
Reppin
nightset
Wait people here are saying Terrence is intelligent because he says a bunch of big words? dude was spitting absolute fukking nonsense on that podcast, just because he says, "the properties of iron makes the neutron take on a positive charge when mixed with silicon creating a mislogged effect that that when multiplied by the square root of the gravitational pull of the moon above our magnetic north forms a shape that looks like Uranus" doesn't mean he is saying anything, its just nonsense, dude has obvious mental health issues.

Adeptus Astartes

Loyal servant of the God-Brehmperor
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Imperium of Man
Wait people here are saying Terrence is intelligent because he says a bunch of big words? dude was spitting absolute fukking nonsense on that podcast, just because he says, "the properties of iron makes the neutron take on a positive charge when mixed with silicon creating a mislogged effect that that when multiplied by the square root of the gravitational pull of the moon above our magnetic north forms a shape that looks like Uranus" doesn't mean he is saying anything, its just nonsense, dude has obvious mental health issues.
The same type of people that would be impressed with the old "Turbo Encabulator" videos.
Watched the entire video and Tyson was adequate and thoughtful in his responses. One thing I did not see was a dismantling of the other claims concerning symmetry, energy, electromagnetic fields,and his claim concerning the geometric shapes that tell us something about objective reality. I would have liked to have him talk about that more than harping on the square root part and then in broad statements son Terrance for being misguided. I agree with his conclusion but he seemed to thread lightly on some of the other claims besides the mathematics.
He says in the beginning that if Howard's understanding was based on such flawed mathematics, all the rest of his assertions come into question.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Nah..Rogan was trying to put Neil on blast lowkey....this was more so a response to Terrance and Joe.

Joe was trying to keep circling back to Neil in that Pod, and was lowkey throwing jabs. racist new republican joe rogan hates neil Now.
I see. I thought it was just him rebuking Terrance's claims on the podcast. Didn't realize they called him out personally.

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
It's like people thinking "lyrical miracle" rappers are nice because they rhyme a bunch of big words in a nonsensical manner.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Mans' lose me as soon as they start talking about "frequencies"

One of my guy's told me he started believing in all this when he first heard about "chi/ki" in Dragon Ball Z as a child
:mjlol:

It's harmless but still
:yeshrug:
Frequencies are one of the few things he’s said and not been crazy about

A lot of scientist believe and talk about frequencies… even Tesla believed in that. He was one of the main dudes speaking on it and even Einstein was saying they shouldve looked more into Teslas work