"Negro Cults" - Vintage Newspaper Clippings

Losttribe

[Formerly Blackking]
Daps

Black American leader of the biggest group you never heard of.

Father Devine Documentary on free and premium platforms plus Father Devine Podcast episodes on Gimlet/The Read etc

THIS is the one that surprised me the most ..
More than any of the others.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You're wrong.
In the north.. the ability to make money and fund groups was greater. In the south, ... many people either accepted their reality or were trying to go up north or were too busy fighting the kkk. Most of the leaders of the northern group Came from the South.

Wrong about what? Most Aframs who practice traditional afram religion (I would include most spiritualist churches in this) always looked at NOI, 5%, Moorish Science etc..cats with the:unimpressed:

Well, Actually the fact that you refer to these groups as Hotep groups shows your confused mind. But FYI...... they had impact all over america and the world, especially the Figures from these groups.

the black nationalist influence isn't hotep; it's the fake origin stories + a few other beliefs that are HOTEP :lolbron:

ZlWisu7.jpg

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
difference between a cult vs religion is in the eye of the beholder: If you like it, it's a religion but if you find it weird & strange, it's a cult:russ:

cults don’t stand the test of time. it’s followers either come to their senses and leave or worst case end up dead

cults do serve as content for some good documentaries :whew:

You’ll know a cult when you see it if you distinguish between that fine line :manny:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Not a cult but a religious group The Ahmadiyya Movement is a understudied and underdiscussed Black Muslim movement in America.

1880s to 1970s and a it was a large movement that existed while the Nation of Islam was getting started

Lecture at Georgetown discusses Fard Muhammad and how that movement is key to understanding him.

Last edited:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
Other African Americans were attracted to Ahmadiyya Islam. The Ahmadiyya movement originated in Pakistan, where Muslims began following Ghulam Ahmad, a Muslim who claimed to receive revelation from God in 1879. Later, Ahmad claimed he was the Mahdi—an Islamic end times figure—the Christian Messiah, and an incarnation of Hindu god Krishna. To most Muslims this was heretical, even offensive. However, when Ahmadi missionary Muhammad Sadiq came to the US in 1920, he found converts in black communities who were attracted by Ahmadi messages of racial unity and resistance to Western imperialism.[6]

Then, in 1930, Wallace D. Fard created the Nation of Islam (NOI). Fard disappeared in 1934, but the group continued under Elijah Muhammad, who declared that Fard was the Mahdi, the Messiah, and God in the flesh. He also taught that black Muslims were the first humans, and that a mad scientist created white people, who someday will be destroyed by God. His teachings were offensive and unrecognizable to most Muslims, but to some African Americans who feared their racist neighbors, this new identity held significant appeal.

Harvard.edu
African American Muslims

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Wrong about what? Most Aframs who practice traditional afram religion (I would include most spiritualist churches in this) always looked at NOI, 5%, Moorish Science etc..cats with the:unimpressed:

the black nationalist influence isn't hotep; it's the fake origin stories + a few other beliefs that are HOTEP :lolbron:

ZlWisu7.jpg

I gotta agree. I HATE when people think my temple is the same as Hebrew Israelites in NYC - with costumes. Nah.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Its not that old of a cult and nobody takes them seriously

as far as "modern" movements go, it's pretty old (founded in the 1820s/1830s). The membership is larger than most modern offshoot religious movements like Nation of Islam, Rastafarianism etc..

Mormonism101%2BActive%2BMembers%2BBy%2BRegion.PNG

unless you want to count something like Pentecostalism (late 1890s to early 1900s)

pentecostal-healing-4-638.jpg

some people say that it's also a cult:russ:

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as far as "modern" movements go, it's pretty old (founded in the 1820s/1830s). The membership is larger than most modern offshoot religious movements like Nation of Islam, Rastafarianism etc..

Mormonism101%2BActive%2BMembers%2BBy%2BRegion.PNG

unless you want to count something like Pentecostalism (late 1890s to early 1900s)

pentecostal-healing-4-638.jpg

some people say that it's also a cult:russ:

I wouldn’t consider Mormons or Jehovahs witnesses “Christianity”

same like Hebrew Israelites aren’t really “Christians” (although I’m not sure what they actually believe half the time)

they’re an off shoot like NOI of Islam was strictly for black people with views centered around the hatered/judgement of the “white man”.

im curious what form of Christianity you don’t see as a cult? or what is the “original Christianity” or the oldest

since every denomination/type of church organization to pop up since 2,000 years ago can be seen as a new “cult” by people on the outside looking in

I figure since Pentecostal gets their name from “Pentecost” from the Bible “day of Pentecost” story I don’t see them as a new (1890s) form of Christianity but more of a throwback version to practicing how things were during early Christianity

maybe you know more about this history and can post some newspaper clips/video that shed some more light on the topic

but to me a cult is some movement that obviously
Goes left with extreme new teaching new teaching not found in the Bible. Usually received by some sort of revelation (dream, angel, alien, leader/messiah god figure, etc...) with an answer to or a correction of what other religions got it wrong.:manny:

Cults have the same origin story pretty much every time.:skip:

Basically Islam was a cult of Christianity/Judasim back when Muhammad started it. Same idea :youngsabo:

Islam might be the biggest Cult of all time :patrice:
I guess it stood the test of time though :lupe: