"Negro Cults" - Vintage Newspaper Clippings

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I think that modern Pan Africanism has indirect connections to the desire to self define in terms of identity that is resistant to the white American narrative.

The early iterations of this self definition through self identity and Black Nationism in terms of identity may have been with religuous groups and movements imo.
Many Black Americans seem to be open or drawn towards a new identity and ideology that is separate from the oppressive narratives that America provides for Black people in the USA.

That why I think till this day elements of Pan Africanism have a almost permanent hold on Black Americans ideologically.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I wouldn’t consider Mormons or Jehovahs witnesses “Christianity”

they are accepted as that though

same like Hebrew Israelites aren’t really “Christians” (although I’m not sure what they actually believe half the time)

There are different groups under the banner of "Hebrew Israelites". Most of the groups are more like a black nationalist twist on Judaism + hotepisms

they’re an off shoot like NOI of Islam was strictly for black people with views centered around the hatered/judgement of the “white man”.

Hebrew Israelites probably practice more traditional Judaic practices than NOI practice Islamic ones

im curious what form of Christianity you don’t see as a cult?

all religions are cults...only the passing of time and growth eventually allow them to be accepted as religions

or what is the “original Christianity” or the oldest

51Dwm3cUUPL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51nVJmaE3zL.jpg

since every denomination/type of church organization to pop up since 2,000 years ago can be seen as a new “cult” by people on the outside looking in

true

I figure since Pentecostal gets their name from “Pentecost” from the Bible “day of Pentecost” story I don’t see them as a new (1890s) form of Christianity but more of a throwback version to practicing how things were during early Christianity

maybe you know more about this history and can post some newspaper clips/video that shed some more light on the topic

Pentecostalism was looked down on and considered a cult in its early days

lDLoeYO.png

kbYLDpu.png

V36W4s2.png

but to me a cult is some movement that obviously
Goes left with extreme new teaching new teaching not found in the Bible. Usually received by some sort of revelation (dream, angel, alien, leader/messiah god figure, etc...) with an answer to or a correction of what other religions got it wrong.:manny:

Cults have the same origin story pretty much every time.:skip:

that's like the more obvious/widespread POV on what people see as a cult

Basically Islam was a cult of Christianity/Judasim back when Muhammad started it. Same idea :youngsabo:

Islam might be the biggest Cult of all time :patrice:
I guess it stood the test of time though :lupe:

all Abrahamic religions were cults in their early days

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they are accepted as that though

There are different groups under the banner of "Hebrew Israelites". Most of the groups are more like a black nationalist twist on Judaism + hotepisms

Hebrew Israelites probably practice more traditional Judaic practices than NOI practice Islamic ones

all religions are cults...only the passing of time and growth eventually allow them to be accepted as religions

51nVJmaE3zL.jpg

true

lDLoeYO.png

kbYLDpu.png

V36W4s2.png

all Abrahamic religions were cults in their early days

51nVJmaE3zL.jpg

true

lDLoeYO.png

kbYLDpu.png

V36W4s2.png

all Abrahamic religions were cults in their early days[/QUOTE]

I think your definition of cult is slightly different than mine but I get what youre saying

every other religion is a cult from the perspective to those following the true original religion

I think you’re confusing the revival and Azusa street with something new or never before seen

it just wasn’t normal to those at the time from the outside looking in to see people acting like they were in church

but every church has people different

I think people get caught up on the label “Pentecostal” create stereotypes and run with it when they believe the same as any Christian did from the beginning

I’m judging cults based of their foundation and teachings which aren’t based in the Bible, logic, history or even common sense :heh:

But one this is they all borrow from Christianity/Judaism which makes them a cult or off shoot of the real thing

A cult is a bootleg version of something which is why it can’t be trusted

people looked down on Pentecostals and for a lot of reasons not because what they believe or that they weren’t “Christian” which is what really matters.

Mainly because how people in the churches acted and this became stereotypes mostly taken as negative but who are they to judge.

from the outside looking in people though the 1st followers of Jesus were crazy or drunk they the way they were acting at Pentecost in Acts.

they said the same about David

The oldest Christians being “Jewish” has more to do with history, culture and Jewish religious tradition than it has to do with core fundamental Christian belief/ teachings

Jewishness doesn’t make anyone automatically ant better or more “holy” than the next.

All these complex rules and practices and ideas that Jesus exposed in the Pharisees 2 thousand years ago is what Hebrew Israelites are trying to bring back but only from a “original chosen people were black” perspective, which is kinda pointless if the only motivation for even believing in God and living by the laws of the Torah is race. And it’s even more stupid when you realize Jesus came to forgive so it doesn’t matter what you do daily when everyone sins. The most basic understanding of the gospels would make this clear to anyone. :snoop:

but seem like today black people are looking to the past for something they can connect to that isn’t rooted in faith but instead some ancient lost history, culture and identity that empowers them.

if they wanna be a Jew be a Jew, but don’t try to be a kemetic/Orignial black Hebrew, African Muslim Moor from the ancient tribe of shabazz who were really aliens from Mars:mjlol:

It’s just one big contradiction and that’s what I see as a red flag for a cult :manny:

or it could be something as simple as a leader getting a revelations from an “Angel” :hubie:

And Christians parting ways with Judasim is an interesting topic. I gotta read about it.

I know it was a big topic for debate in the early church when they all were living in that region and mixed culture but it shouldn’t be an issue relevant anymore to today’s Christianity (other than 7 day Adventist maybe)

however, it’s Judasim disbelief in Jesus that has always been the real issue that matters :banderas:

Last edited: