The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Everything:wow:

giphy.gif

So far Nas/Ye made a album for the city night drifters like your's truly. I adore this smooth shyt brehs:banderas:

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
So is there another version of this album online or something?

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Of course it is. Its one of the greatest albums of all time.

But 25 years later ain’t NO artist trying to go back to that well again. It only ever TRULY worked for Raekwon and he was the exception not the rule.

Nas is an artist who thrives off of challenge and reinvention. There is NO challenge whatsoever in reinterpretating illmatic in any form. From artwork down to producers/beats, Illmatic is a complete body of work that belongs where it is and has an established legacy.

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, Nas going back to illmatic in any form would be the end of his career. You can’t improve upon perfection. You can only attempt to make new bodies of work that can live up to and expand upon your personal legacy.

Nasir is an expansion of Nas’s legacy.

You are right, and I think people who take the "he needs to do Illmatic again" approach are not only delusional, even if Nas gave them Illmatic 2 they'd be the FIRST people to say "this isn't as good as Illmatic/this doesn't sound like Illmatic." Because Illmatic is more than an album, it's an experience they've already had and will not have again. Similar to how Star Wars fans will never let go of the original trilogy, or how the movies we loved as kids in the 80s or 90s cannot be surpassed by similar films today.

So I'm not making that type of argument. My argument is that there are certain sounds that rappers sound best with. Ross loves to chase trap bangers, but he sounds the absolute best over lush production that sounds like the audio equivalent of being on a beach (Amsterdam, Oyster Perpetual, Rich Off Cocaine, Santorini Greece, etc). Ghostface is a very acrobatic MC, but he sounds best over soul samples. And Nas sounds best over moody sounds, grimier samples, hard drums, etc. You're Da Man, Nas Is Like, Stay, Make You Look, Street's Disciple (the song), etc.

That's the sound I always hope for with a Nas record, to some degree. I know every project won't be that in entirety, but the more tracks in that vein the better. I feel like Nasir doesn't really capture that sound. Cops Shot The Kid might be the only track that kind of gives me that feel. Initially I felt like it just sounded chaotic but upon more listens, you can hear the old school vibe (beyond the Slick Rick sample). Daytona sounds grimy and dark, despite pretty tepid drum work. I hoped we'd get a bunch of dope sample chops and drum samples on Nasir...and limited singing. I was sitting here imagining some NY State Of Mind shyt, plus some flossy Escobar 97 type shyt, etc. At least we got a dope piano loop (Adam & Eve).

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
Simple Things is okay:

tumblr_nr4q8f39Zx1qmgmu2o1_500.gif

Overall, this album is on a different vibe that's not working with most Nas head judging by most of the replies in the thread, along with the most sloppy ass album releases since Food and Liquor. Nas always works better on those introspective type of tracks and not so much the hard shyt, which in this case works well in his favor. It's like a trip to when times were simpler. It's a nostalgia feeling that this album is bringing along with spiritual guidance lyrics which we need in these dire times. Bottom line, I'm giving this album a Life is Good out of Illmatic:ehh: