Nas - NASIR (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
After waking up and re-listening (a few times) this morning, the only track I don't feel is Bonjour. Beat is dope, hook is nice, but lyrically it's forgettable. Sounds like something Ross would annihilate. "shortie see me coming from a mile away, I call that an eye witness." nah fam lol

My standouts are Adam & Eve and Simple Things. Some mixed feelings on the other tracks but overall I like them. My disappoint lies with Pusha I guess. When he was talking about Kanye being a hardcore rap fan, and based on Kanye's previous comments on Nas...I was expecting darker sounds, harder (and faster) drums. This sounds like it could have been Kanye's album to me.

Not a fan of the drum programming man, sounds kinda thrown together. Like the mixing. Sigh.
That's sort of my thoughts except I dig Bonjour.

Another thing I'd add is although there's not any songs on here I don't like, it definitely doesn't have an album feel, or even an EP feel. It just sort of feels like 7 assorted tracks thrown together. Before people hop in and say you can't have a more cohesive sounding project with only 7 songs, I disagree. Again, I don't dislike this at all. It's a dope project. I just think it sounds like a lot of scattered ideas and sounds more than it does an album. And I agree re: Kanye's drums too. They've always been the weakest aspect of his beatmaking game. His ear (sample choices) stands out, and there are a few joints on here that give me some Madlib/Alchemist vibes, and I actually think one of them already flipped the Bonjour sample in recent years.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Why he so off beat in some songs
If I had to guess, I would say that Nas raps on more joints with a tempo like Adam & Eve. Some of the joints on here are a little bit slower and there's more space in them and/or quieter or even no drums in the traditional sense. Freddie Gibbs said that threw him off a lot when working with Madlib on the Cocaine Pinata album and people are already saying this project here gives them some Madlib vibes. So it could be something like that. Just a shot in the dark though.

:yeshrug:

Still not feeling White Label right now....least favorite track
Word? That's maybe a top 4 or 5 on here for me right now. It's different though.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Shout outs to Havoc tho that snare on Adam & Eve is unmistakable. @mobbinfms

:whew:
I wouldn’t know Breh :prodigylol:
Nas still working on sending me that email with a link to the album:pdahell2:
blseaeuciaavmep-large1-e1397591004976.jpg

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Everything on this album is perfect except nas flow

The themes content & production is top of the line & better than the other 3 projects imo

I like the beats on push’s album more but those are more my speed. I still contend Nas in top form over those beats would’ve easily been the best thing he’s done in a decade

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
:wow:

Everything spoken on this album will hold up for years to come. The beats are great of course because Nas and Kanye are a winning combination (legends). You knew that already from Still Dreaming. Nas is at his best here, the flow is Nas(no typo) and the lyrics well written (obviously).

The song everything is amazing. I like White Label but also feel like the beat overbears Nas and I'm not sure if it's on purpose but you have to really zone in on what Nas is saying because the beat is so dope and overshadowing. I find myself rocking too hard with the words of the sample if you catch me? This is not the case for Cops Shot the Kid. Both still dope though.

I like the call outs of 'old heads' too, like on the song Adam and Eve:
It's evident they all the same, with gray hair and still mean mugging
Gray hairs of wisdom, that means you seen something.
Say something, you stay fronting
But these clowns got false crowns, fictional kings

The second verse of the song everything tells a mini story of children first being introduced to pain by way of immunization. Wondering why their parents(protectors) would let such a thing happen. As full understanding of such isn't grasped by the child but the pain of the moment also cannot be understood by one so young, and yet, in a way, it has to be.

I didn't speak much on Kanye because I knew his beats would deliver. His verse on Cop Shot the Kid was dope as well.

There's many quotables here. As always because Nas puts the work into his craft. I'm not going to list all of them (that made me hit visual coli smileys) but know that every song has several lines like that. But this is nothing new to fans of Nas. We know already and I hope the youth starts to latch on to this legend as well. Nas makes music for every one of us. There's material here for all.

This album is inspiring bars over great beats. The album is black excellence personified (nothing new for Nas). I feel like it's instant classic status and rarely do I say that. A great addition to his discography and a great addition to music. This will hold up. The subject matter will always be relevant. Like he said in Simple Things: "I'm looking in Longevity's eyes. I play with Infinity's mind, Forever's my guy...."

Daps
Reppin
The Buckeye State
I dig the project. Although I think I'm on an island when I say, Adam & Eve was weak. I found the production on that track to be rather meh. I did like how The Dreams vocals sounded as if they were sampled though. My standouts are Bonjour, Everything, and Not For Radio. That being said I wish this "album" was longer. By the time you get into a groove, it's over.

Shadow

Enjoy your life and loved ones.
Daps
Also, the fact that people were actually saying Kanye fell off production wise is such a laughable thing. Dude was consistently working with several artists for this summer and the summer has been suffocating with dopeness. This is a legendardy run. People are going to remember this. Years from now folks are going to be like "Remember summer 2018?"

Random thought: the recent threads about them made me imagine Lloyd Banks and Jay Electronica on this 7 track album wave.

Last edited:

Ball

All Star
Daps
I don't even get how Nas is still able to deliver deep SICK ass verses 25 years in. How does this dude still have new/different shyt to say after all these verses. :ohlawd:

I'm glad there's not really any rap features besides Kanye.

Brb about to go for a drive to blast the album in the car :ahh: