Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He has a lot of misses for how incredible of an artist he is. WSG isn't 10% of the rapper Nas is, but had a run of about 6-7 years of routinely picking excellent beats.
He still has as good a catalog as anyone and multiple classics and dope ass albums

30 years in you’re gonna have some hiccups

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wasn't Feeling KDIII all that much. Production-wise Magic 2 was ass besides 1 song.

*disclaimer: lyrically Nas has been on point for all of these*

I just don't think the production style meshes as well as other producers would have. I'd rather hear a mix of different producers, give hit boy a track if you feel the need, but get laced with some alc, premier, Havoc, darringer, large pro, fukking tragedy khadafi, shyt even camouflage, throw a bone to an underground NYC producer or two.

Hit boy's style is just too neat & polished for me, it doesn't seem to fit when it's over an entire album. Has ZERO NYC feel to it either.

Look at what Alc was lacing prodigy & Griselda with...Nas over that ish would be heaven sent

I’m a “boom bap head” but I loved these albums aside from Magic 3 and Magic 1 sounded like a boom bap album

I’m ready for Nas to move on but I enjoyed him and hit

onlylno

Haitian American Descended From Slaves
Supporter
Daps
Not sure what this means, what do you mean by squeezing the records?

The sample use?
When I say squeeze I mean taking all the dynamics and life out the beats and vocals

I think it’s the Fruity Loops sound and low quality sample sources. I don’t think Hit is sampling vinyl. Probably YouTube MP3s, Sample packs, etc

The dynamics are already gone by the time it gets to the engineer.

It Works for trap but it sounds off when it comes to boombap

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I may stand alone on this but I prefer when theres a gap in between albums. This is crazy fast for another project. Magic 2 was under 2 months ago. This is a bit much... but Im still gonna be listening to it of course.
It's been his work ethic. That's why Nas had so many unreleased tracks and lost tapes. The difference now is that with one producer he was knocking them out and putting them out right away on his label. So we think that it's some unprecedented shyt from the outside looking in. Yet he's been creating this prolifically his whole career.

Now after this we prob getting a breather for a while so it's not too much for me.

Hopefully up next Nas and V-Don :whew: