Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
With the both trilogies concluded.......It would be cool if Nas and Hit just threw out a "Lost Tapes" type project with some of the cutting room tracks that didnt make the final projects.

Two throwaways from each album.....a total of 12 tracks.
Was that the concept behind Lost Tapes tho? A collection of the throwaways? I don’t think so, I think they were just the displaced/unreleased gems.

Lost Tapes 2 was more in the vein of what you’re describing, which is why it was mid…just some throwaways from the vault. I wouldn’t want another one of those…of course I’d listen lol but still, nah.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Nas should win that alone for all he has done for hip hop 50 truth be told. I guess one thing he has for him is the highest rated album on the list, but like you said they usually go with sales.

Yep its all about sales

I WILL say that of all the times he’s been nominated, this year (assuming he is nominated) would be the third best year for his chances. 2021 Grammys was pretty much a lock, then after that 2014 when he was up for four awards and by all accounts SHOULD have beaten Drake for Best Rap Album. And now. This would be the second time he’s had the highest rated album of the nominees and with the 50th year of Hip Hop celebrations and Nas being at the focal point of the movement, he should have plenty of goodwill from voters.

The tough aspect is overcoming the grammys history in the rap division. I’m not sure the narrative of the 50th anniversary plus the critical acclaim would be enough to erase the voters tendency to just vote which sold more. Drake dissed the grammys several times in the past two years and voters might be offended enough not to vote but they also might want to get back in bis good graces (and extend an olive branch to the Weeknd) by voting for him anyway.

The politics and history don’t support it, but Nas definitely has a chance. I’ll be rooting for him either way

Screwtape

All Star
Daps
No tears sounds like the closing track to a very personal emotional album... Saying that though 1800 nas + hb is a beautiful track nas sounds happy asf. Love this album still ain't digested it all but it rides front 2 back. Speechless 2..jodeci member. I love this feeling... No weak tracks

One thing I notice that so many ppl ask 'why does nas do this, why he do that? '

He address so much of this in his lyrics

Do they skim thru it?

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was that the concept behind Lost Tapes tho? A collection of the throwaways? I don’t think so, I think they were just the displaced/unreleased gems.

Lost Tapes 2 was more in the vein of what you’re describing, which is why it was mid…just some throwaways from the vault. I wouldn’t want another one of those…of course I’d listen lol but still, nah.
I honestly don't think Nas realized what he had with the first Lost Tapes and that it would hang together so well. To me, I consider it an album. I like Lost Tapes 2 but I would consider it a compilation for the reasons you mention.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
I honestly don't think Nas realized what he had with the first Lost Tapes and that it would hang together so well. To me, I consider it an album. I like Lost Tapes 2 but I would consider it a compilation for the reasons you mention.

funny thing is the people at columbie decided to release the songs on lost tapes not nas. I always sais nas' biggest problem wasn't the beat selection but he didn't have a proper a&r to tell him how to choose the correct song and put out the better project. nas wanted to scrapped the song because they leaked but after that decided to put dr knockboot and kissing instead ? any good a&r would have talked sense into him and said fukk the leak, your are sitting on a gold mine right here. you want to record more song ok , but we are not putting two albums the same year and definitly not leave the weakest songs on the forefront. withe the anticipation and strong singles the album would have sold anyway. give them nas is like then hate me now and then you won't see me tonight as singles and it's a wrap. they fumble the ball on not puttin the latter as a single

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
funny thing is the people at columbie decided to release the songs on lost tapes not nas. I always sais nas' biggest problem wasn't the beat selection but he didn't have a proper a&r to tell him how to choose the correct song and put out the better project. nas wanted to scrapped the song because they leaked but after that decided to put dr knockboot and kissing instead ? any good a&r would have talked sense into him and said fukk the leak, your are sitting on a gold mine right here. you want to record more song ok , but we are not putting two albums the same year and definitly not leave the weakest songs on the forefront. withe the anticipation and strong singles the album would have sold anyway. give them nas is like then hate me now and then you won't see me tonight as singles and it's a wrap. they fumble the ball on not puttin the latter as a single
Nas is Like, Hate me Now and You won’t see me tonight as singles is the perfect collection of singles for an album too. Nas has left some great songs off of albums, so you might be right with the A&R part.