Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

This isn’t very well written in my opinion but i’ve posted all reviews so far so wanted to add in this one

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The amount of acclaim that KD3 got but this didn’t outside of the booth kinda astounds me. They’re neck and neck for me with the edge going to KD3.

Magic 3 is still acclaimed. I think when Rap reviews and/or NME or Allmusic adds they’re review it’ll end up slightly below KD3 in overall acclaim.

KD3 had the benefit of the first Magic album hyping everybody up, then they delivered in SPADES which blew people away.

I think certain critics don’t know what to make up of Magic 2 and to a lessor extent M3. Its damn near unheard of for a rapper in his 50’s to be flowing at such a high level. To be still experimenting with modern sounds and styles. KRS One still raps his ass off but its mostly good old throwback Boom Bap. Black Thought destroys everything he hops on but its still a familiar sound and cadence. Nas tries something new EVERY TIME he drops an album, you can’t get a handle on what he’s going to do next. Which is what makes him so vibrant and dynamic as an artist but also throws off certain people. You can’t really go to Nas for “comfort” rap if you want to hear some shyt straight out of the 90’s.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This was probably posted already, but Vibe ranked all the Hit-Boy albums.

1. Magic 1
2. KD3
3. Magic 3
4. KD1
5. KD2
6. Magic 2

1-5 is genuinely just a preference thing really, they’re all dope, there’s no wrong way to rank them imo. Magic 2 is the only ehh jawn, if you have that in your top 5 then you might be trippin lol

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
1-5 is genuinely just a preference thing really, they’re all dope, there’s no wrong way to rank them imo. Magic 2 is the only ehh jawn, if you have that in your top 5 then you might be trippin lol

Magic 2 felt like a B-sides album. The last song is literally a track that came out almost a year before. After the first four albums, the idea of a Magic sequel was really interesting and then it ended up solid, not great. Magic 3 was what I thought Magic 2 would sound like (and I'm pretty sure Nas and Hit-Boy knew that).

I will say this, "Office Hours" just gets better and better. Nas was rapping like he had to pay the rent with the album sales. 50 wasn't that bad, either. I didn't expect him to perform that well anyway. Next to "Slow it Down," that's the best song on the album.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The amount of acclaim that KD3 got but this didn’t outside of the booth kinda astounds me. They’re neck and neck for me with the edge going to KD3.
Both neck and neck, but completely different l. I think overall Magic 3 has gotten great acclaim. KD3 definitely got immediate claim though so I know what you are saying.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Can’t understand the hate for Magic 2.

Personal classic for me :yeshrug: No skips. I could play the entire album in my head.

I love this. Letting it sink in more and more.

Same for me. Been bumping the last 2 Magics for the last month and prob won't stop.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Magic 3 is still acclaimed. I think when Rap reviews and/or NME or Allmusic adds they’re review it’ll end up slightly below KD3 in overall acclaim.

KD3 had the benefit of the first Magic album hyping everybody up, then they delivered in SPADES which blew people away.

I think certain critics don’t know what to make up of Magic 2 and to a lessor extent M3. Its damn near unheard of for a rapper in his 50’s to be flowing at such a high level. To be still experimenting with modern sounds and styles. KRS One still raps his ass off but its mostly good old throwback Boom Bap. Black Thought destroys everything he hops on but its still a familiar sound and cadence. Nas tries something new EVERY TIME he drops an album, you can’t get a handle on what he’s going to do next. Which is what makes him so vibrant and dynamic as an artist but also throws off certain people. You can’t really go to Nas for “comfort” rap if you want to hear some shyt straight out of the 90’s.
Fam you are spot on

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

This isn’t very well written in my opinion but i’ve posted all reviews so far so wanted to add in this one
It’s wild that there are very little reviews for Magic 3 on metacritic so far. They scared to give Nas that great rating again haha

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It’s wild that there are very little reviews for Magic 3 on metacritic so far. They scared to give Nas that great rating again haha

Metacritic needs one more official review to give it an official rating. Rap Reviews is eligible when they decide to write one (it took them a month to write one for Magic 2) looks like Pitchfork won’t write one (thankfully) and IDK why they hell NME and Consequence aren’t writing reviews, they haven’t reviewed a Nas album since KD3.