Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Thun was released in 99 it would be a staple in his concert set list and be regarded as a Nas classic.. His prime was great but the more I think about it Nas needed a Hit-Boy during the Kelis years.. Streets Disciple thru Untitled era.
Definitely would have loved to have hit from hip is dead to streets disciple. I personally love untitled, distant relatives and life is good back to back to back.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Kinda not feeling Ebro’s energy but the other guy told the truth
I don’t know why hip hop media members are afraid to say Nas is the GOAT? Or have an open honest discussion about it. The dude who was in front of his sneaker collection was saying he was team Jay Z., never really checked for Nas And said Nas was just a top 10 rapper whos narrative is that he was the worst beat picker. Another narrative pushed by Jay stans

I never treated rap like wrestling and choose sides. I bought BP2 the day it came out. Same thing as TBA and KC. I listened to Scorpion the day it came out as I did with Daytona.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t know why hip hop media members are afraid to say Nas is the GOAT? Or have an open honest discussion about it. The dude who was in front of his sneaker collection was saying he was team Jay Z., never really checked for Nas And said Nas was just a top 10 rapper whos narrative is that he was the worst beat picker. Another narrative pushed by Jay stans

I never treated rap like wrestling and choose sides. I bought BP2 the day it came out. Same thing as TBA and KC. I listened to Scorpion the day it came out as I did with Daytona.
That narrative that Nas had bad beats and bad albums throughout his career is the biggest fallacy I’ve ever heard.

Ball

All Star
Daps
Album Sales, Commercial Records, Streams, Reviews etc. IDGAF. Plain and simple it's amazing to get ill verses from Nas that apply to today's time. These 6 albums have a lot of replay value for the core fans. 6+ ALBUMS on top of the legendary discography he's already had before that is just insane.

We've come a long way from "Finished up my new album, single about to be dropping, last album on def jam and I got so many options"
:ahh: :ahh: :ahh:

Cyborg11

Rookie
Daps
I went back to M2 today to take a break from M3... this album is legitimately solid and it's a shame how much it's being slept on in here, for a variety of factors.

I think M2 overall has the least memorable production of the 6 albums which is why people forget about it, but its certainly not bad, and pen wise Nas is more razor sharp front to back than he is on KD1, KD2, and even parts of M3. I like the flows he used on there. There are no bad songs on M2.

Black Magic and Magic Johnson absolutely SLAP in the whip, windows down, sunroof back. I don't really understand why people are hate those two so much.

If I'm being completely honest...I would trade Fever, Super Hero Status, TSK, I Love This Feeling and No Tears, from M3 for EMJ, Black Magic, What This Really Means, Office Hours (minus 50) and Pistols from M2 - and I wouldn't think twice about it.

As far as KD1 vs M2 I think it's a toss up for me. Comes down to if you want a more bar heavy album with lesser beats (M1) or more interesting "sounding" project but with some highs and lows in content (KD1)

Last edited:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Ya'll favorite whiteboy gave this record a light 6

Saw the review, he seemed complimentary to the project to start but I guess for white critics when Nas goes elder statesmen or does girl tracks it doesn’t stick (even though he liked KD 1 and 2 which have those )

I thought he’d give it a 7 since it’s better than Magic 2 but the impression I’m getting out here is even when they stick to the right formula they got out of the KD series too much of a good thing is still too much

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1,000%. I’m going to keep saying that. Nas on modern beats and modern flows just refuses to be accepted by some of the base. :martin:.I can almost guarantee you the songs they don’t like on Magic 2 are abracadabra, black magic, earving Magic Johnson, and the21 song haha.
Black Magic is actually the sleeper dope track on Magic 2... I thought the "Ouch" gimmick was corny. EMJ beat was kinda blah until it switched up at the end of the verses. Abracadabra is the weakest intro with a kinda weak opening verse. Office Hours would have been golden without that 50 verse. The hook on motion was weak and i didn't like the beat at the end. And the bonus was just outta place after the last 3 tracks. And that shyt came after near perfect KD3.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Seems like the critics prefer the KD series over Magic which is hilarious given the “Go back to Illmatic” urging he’d been getting from them for the last 20 years. But KD2-KD3 really IS that potent 1-2 punch that would have most fiending for more.

I think the Magic series will be more appreciated over time, especially Magic 2. The first Magic caught EVERYONE off guard to the point I don’t think people knew what to do with it, then as everyone was settling into it WHAM KD3 came and knocked people’s socks off. Magic 2 was unlike anything we’d come to expect from the Nas/Hit-Boy pairing and then WHAM here comes Magic 3. Reviewers are finding hard to accept Nas really DID pull off two distinct trilogies, which is why some scramble to call it a mixtape series or liken it to Lost Tapes. Naw, these are clear cut, meticulously put together ALBUMS. There is no throwaways or cutting room floor songs on these albums.

6 in 3 people. 6 in 3

Ball

All Star
Daps
1994 - Illmatic
1996 - It Was Written
1999 - I Am
1999 - Nastradamus
2001 - Stillmatic
2002 - God's Son
2004 - Street's Disciple
2006 - Hip Hop Is Dead