Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
disagree Magic/KD3 are top 7 Nas albums got Stillmatic at 4th. Magic& KD3 have absolute zero filler those albums are near the top of his discography
Lol you’re saying the same thing I am

Illmatic
ItWasWritten
Stillmatic
LIG

None of these records beat any of those out for me

So I have them around Gods Son/I Am

It’s like .. I enjoy the storytelling on Thun, but do I like that better than the story telling on Last Real nikka Alive ? Meh

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
@Ziggiy let me know if you in the Stationhead today. I’m out so I can’t listen. The plug on twitter spaces said the album is doing well on first day but they just gonna enjoy the music. I’m assuming that’s in relation to iTunes chart

Nostalgic

Superstar
Daps
Hold the fukk up, I'm just now releasing this album called Magic 3 and I never even knew Magic 1 and 2 were out :ohhh:
bGTPbDm.gif

erker

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Netherlands
Magic 3
KD2
KD3
Magic 2
Magic 1
KD1

KD2 has been my number 1 favorite album
in the run for the LONGEST so Magic 3 dethroning it is a bug deal to me. In the end it came down to what is it i like the most about Nas as my favorite artist? Its the versatility in his writing. The story telling, the introspection, the world building, etc. KD2 had all of that but Magic 3 takes it to the next level. TWO superb storytelling songs back to back. Deep introspection with No Tears and Sitting With My Thoughts. World Building with Japanese Soul Bar and Blue Bentley. And it all feels so cinematic, Hit Boy’s production is like a film score, which is a feeling I last got with Life Is Good.

Yea this is definitely the victory lap OF victory laps. Nas and Hit Boy all I can do is salute. SIX superb albums in 3 years. Crazy

Magic 2 over Magic 1 is so crazy to me
:picard:

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Anybody have a breakdown of Based on a True Story 1
Nas is dating a girl and notices she is friends with a woman that is dating a man he finds sus. The sus guy wears bullet proof vests and flaunts it, which Nas thinks is behavior that invites death. The sus dude used to ride with Nas' homie who died. Nas questions if the death was actually a suicide or if something nefarious happened.

He starts to wonder if the girl he is dating in spilling all of his business and power moves to her friend on some boasting shyt, and the female friend is probably in turn going around telling the sus dude about it. Nas doesnt know if he is just being paranoid about this association, and she starts asking him why his demeanor changed after he asked if she knew the dude. But he keeps it to himself, not wanting to discuss his dead homies murder, or put her on to his distrust in the guy her friend is dating.

By the end of the song he doesn't talk to the girl anymore, implying that the paranoia won out.

Last edited:

delnegro

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop comparing stuff man, lol, thats where yall be messin up. Oprah said comparing is the fastest route to disappointment...stop comparing this and that Nas album to "Illmatic" and the Nas today to Nas in "94" and whatever else...just appreciate what you have now and what you had then and try to give both a fair shot for what they are/were.

Blue Bentley is nothing like Blue Benz...the names are similar but they're totally on 2 different planets in every other way, why compare? Blue Bentley sounds like the typical joint on Nas albums where he tries for a"Hit" or a radio joint, "Summer on Smash, Braveheart Party, countless others"...it's just this time he hit the shot all net, he connected, this shyt is absolute fire.
Great post. I had this discussion with my older cousin the other day. I made a comparison that made him laugh.

I told him our Uncle Bert LOVES Stevie but was he comparing Stevie’s output in the 80s/90s to ‘Songs inThe Key of Life’, ‘Music In My Mind’ & ‘Innervisions’?!
Nah he was happy that one of his favorite artists was still creating.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Random q. How does Hit Boy get paid in this arrangement or with any of these collabs with one producer these days. It’s not like back in the day when it’s a ‘group’ technically. This is a Nas release only.

Is it set fee to do a whole album or depends on how many songs make a final release?