Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

ItWasWritten

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Scriptures
Them “Album of the year” talks for Magic 2 were utterly ridiculous, considering this is far and above better than that record. Y’all be stanning yourselves into a corner.

Anyway

4/5 mics
KD3
Magic

3.5/5 mics
KD2
Magic 3
KD1

3/5 mics
Magic 2

Most memorable moment to me was going from Store Run into Moments into Nobody :blessed:

Close second is Speechless into Meet Joe Black

:whew:

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
I’m not an engineer but surely the speed in which stuff came out means mixing always going to be weaker? Like TSK got recorded day before album released and Wayne submitted his verse morning of release day

KD3 for example had longer prep time and mixing much better on that

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Magic 3 or Kings Disease 3 for rap album of year at the Grammy’s? :patrice:

Thats a hard one.

KD3 was the highest critically acclaimed Rap album of last year so it in THEORY submitting it should guarantee the nomination, also the fact that every Kings Disease album has been nominated, with the first one winning bodes well too because the Grammys LOVE repeat nominees.

On the other hand, Magic 3 is looking like it might match KD3 in acclaim. The three early professionally published reviews that are eligible for Metacritic would put it the mid 90’s (KD3 was at 88) but its a little too early to tell without Allmusic, Rap Reviews, NME, and quite unfortunately Pitchfork reviews. If Magic 3 matches or surpasses KD3 in critical acclaim it might serve best to submit it over KD3 because of the “Newness” attached to it. For KD3 it’ll have been a solid year by the time voting begins whereas with Magic 3 it will have only been a couple months.

Sales are important to take into account too, KD3 is Nas’s last album to date that debuted within the Top 10 on Billboard. This made Nas only the second rapper ever to have 16 albums debut within the top 10. That means something to Grammys. If Magic 3 were to surpass that and make Nas the sole rapper with 17 top 10 debuts, it would strengthen his case for a nomination

Now notice I staked all of this talk on securing a NOMINATION. Because getting the W is based upon one thing and ONE THING ONLY

Who sold the most.

Thats right, in the Grammys Rap Album Category you can ALWAYS tell whose going to win by who sold the most. Not critical acclaim, that’ll get you a nomination. Not hype, that’ll get you a performance slot, but pure sales. In the 26 year history of Rap albums being nominated at the Grammys, the highest selling album has only lost TWICE. In 2014 when Macklemore’s The Heist beat out Drake’s Nothing Was The Same (but more importantly also beat out Good Kid M.A.A.D City which also outsold The Heist) and in 2017 when Chance The Rapper’s Coloring Book bested Drake’s Views. The other 24 times the highest selling album won. Hell when Nas won in 2021 Kings Disease was the highest selling album of all the nominees.

So that would stand to put a damper on Nas’s actual chances of winning considering Travis Scott’s Utopia has been a sales JUGGERNAUT the past two months. Utopia will also probably garner an Album Of The Year nom and in 80% of the cases where a rap album gets an AOTY nom it will also win in its genre category.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Album is fire, 😱, 4.5 after two listens back to back. Only like 2 or 3 joints i didn’t really love like that and even those are cool. Not gonna go too in depth since I’m already wild late and I’m sure everybody already touched on everything.

I can see why Doggie Diamonds and these cheeseball, duck ass trapped in the 90s face ass dudes talk shyt, they cold bustas stuck on some timbs and ice grill shyt. Foh, it’s about jammin music! All this shyt is jammin, grown man jammin, ashy nigs too ice grilled up to rock with this type shyt, fk em, 🤷🏽‍♂️. My favorite joint Blue Bentley, what!!!?!? That shyt is fire, that should be the single, son talking that shyt and it’s a bop. Follow it up with one of the more “hip hop” joints to appease that crowd , 🙄. Hitboy did his fn thing on this whole ish, the samples and everything is crazy. Love it.

The 2 storytelling joints had me feeling like I was listening to IWW-era Esco lowkey, 😱
I love my dusty 90s sound but I’m not tight about this hit x nas shyt at all ….. shyt is fire and refreshing

Beats sound clean as fukk

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Them “Album of the year” talks for Magic 2 were utterly ridiculous, considering this is far and above better than that record. Y’all be stanning yourselves into a corner.

Anyway

4/5 mics
KD3
Magic

3.5/5 mics
KD2
Magic 3
KD1

3/5 mics
Magic 2

Most memorable moment to me was going from Store Run into Moments into Nobody :blessed:

Magic KD3 are at least a 4.5
KD2 is at minimal a 4 (so many highs could be higher)
Magic 3 is at least 4 (could be higher still early)
KD1 is a solid 3.5
Magic 2 about the same as KD1

Budda

Superstar
Daps

Anyway

4/5 mics
KD3
Magic

3.5/5 mics
KD2
Magic 3
KD1

3/5 mics
Magic 2

Itwaswritten that you’re a fool no way is KD2 only a 3.5 out of 5 mics.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I love my dusty 90s sound but I’m not tight about this hit x nas shyt at all ….. shyt is fire and refreshing

Beats sound clean as fukk
I love it too. You’re on some open minded shyt tho, as am I…it’s the stubborn dudes who are just trapped on that sound and time and that alone and they shyt on anything that’s not that, they’re corny. And it seems they’re really really on that for Nas only, weird, hater shyt.

I love Locomotive and Blue Bentley, The Cure and PYG, 🤷🏽‍♂️…jammin music is jammin music, Nas is Like to Legit…don’t matter