Nas- Illmatic XX(20th Anniversary Edition) Official Discussion Thread

Daps
artworks-000076343659-9p0h4j-t500x500.jpg

:ahh:

@OnlyInCalifornia @hexagram23 @IronFist @MC Metaphysical @The Ruler 09 @Wallychamp @god shamgod @Newark88 @Billy Ocean @White Mike @Big Mel @Lord Mecca @notorious8562 @SunZoo @MrFettuccinePockets @JP_USAF @Ebonic Plague @The Jewnited States @NormanConnors @Walt @Mr. Negative @Monoblock @Higher Tech @SciDARK @TarPitWu @TrifeGod @EA @SmarkMero @Luca-Brazi @homiedontplaydat @Dillah810 @EQ. @Tetris v2.0 @Todd McPiff @TEKBEATZ @StillNotSoft @Ronnie Lott @KILLAKUTT7 @torcher @T-K-G @Regular_P @the cac mamba @stealthbomber @Ensi @Illeye buckmatic @ISOMELO @mobbinfms

:blessed:

infamousred

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
illmatic is my fav album ever but they completely dropped the ball w/ that 2nd disc. deja vu, lifes like a dice game, on the real og w/ cormega, another day in the projects, understanding, number 1 w/ a bullet and even the other version of take it in blood(it was good enough for illmatic), should've been on this release.
speaking of "the butcher"...there's another kool g rap link. why you think nas sounded so much like him(back in the day)

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
These aren't silly remixes though. These were all made in 94 and they've got that 94 boom bap sound. They don't hold a candle to the originals, but no remix would. (Other than the Large Pro and Tip mixes). 94 boom bap from unknowns >>>>>> anything today.

That being said...you're right there should have been more unheard material.

I am cool with the remixes and the set in general. It would've been a good look if the alternate version of Represent and the Q-Tip version of Memory Lane was on their. As far as the Pre-Illmatic material, I think that Nas Will Prevail track would've been dope. I'm positive that the producer had suggested these songs but was limited with was he could use.

DaveyDave

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Australia
Joe "The Butcher" Nicolo is a legend. He's an engineer and producer that has been involved in hip hop since way before Nas was even around. He's not some new no name producer. That remix was out on the halftime 12" from when it was on the Zebrahead soundtrack. His remix was out before Illmatic even came out.

edit.. don't mean any of this too sound snooty. Just simply giving info.

Good looks, I thought it sounded good for what I thought was a new beat. I still don't think any of this was worthy of a 20th anniversary product. This is what should have been on the 10th (which I bought and thought was dope) but IMO they should have professionally recorded the orchestral Illmatic performance and included that WITH a couple of the remixes like the Tip explicit or hard to find songs like I'm A Villain.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I am cool with the remixes and the set in general. It would've been a good look if the alternate version of Represent and the Q-Tip version of Memory Lane was on their. As far as the Pre-Illmatic material, I think that Nas Will Prevail track would've been dope. I'm positive that the producer had suggested these songs but was limited with was he could use.
I don't understand the unwillingness to open the vaults. It's been 20 years. Just release everything.