Nas- Illmatic XX(20th Anniversary Edition) Official Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
i listened to the Butcher remix of Halftime back when it leaked. the beat is cool, i'm glad they didn't try to modernise it and make some trap beat or something. BUT why put 3 Ain't Hard To Tell remixes on there? why put no name producers on there? of all the producers fans have wanted to see Nas with over the years why the fukk choose some guy named Butcher? you're telling me there was no more pre Illmatic songs they could have put on here? there's no live versions? no live production? fukk they should have released that orchestra piece Nas did recently as the second disc, THAT would have been something worthy of a 20th anniversary

I REALLY would've liked it if they would've put Life Is Like A Dice Game on there. I know it's just half a freestyle but I LOVE that shyt. It's the effect early morning song to get you pumped for the workday

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Weren't all of these remixes previously released on vinyl? Other than I'm A Villian (which I don't think was ever officially released) what's new here?

Daps
Did this nikka really make an Illmatic appreciation thread and @ every Nas Stan but me:ufdup:
this the same people i @ everytime i drop new music.. :comeon:

i dont keep up with who likes what rapper.. its folks who like/appreciate new music..

Weren't all of these remixes previously released on vinyl? Other than I'm A Villian (which I don't think was ever officially released) what's new here?
:dahell:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Did this nikka really make an Illmatic appreciation thread and @ every Nas Stan but me:ufdup:

and me :sadcam:

I said it before but that illmatic xx is a fraud. Even the 10 year anniversary had interresting content, nerver heard nas verse (it ain't hard to tell remix), star wars, unheard solo version of on the real, a dope the world is yours remix. Here we just have remix that were already out for a long time (for those who had the from illmatic to stillmatic cd) and a buch of silly remixes, only the cdq version odf i'm a villain is worthy, even the freestyle was not new. I'm disappointed. For a 20th anniversary cd they should heve real unreleased form the era, live version. I'm mean the get down version lavked bonuses but it was at least a prestigious bundle.
I hop the tribeca film will be great with a lot of unseen footage and hope they will a dvd of the live kennedy performance

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
and me :sadcam:

I said it before but that illmatic xx is a fraud. Even the 10 year anniversary had interresting content, nerver heard nas verse (it ain't hard to tell remix), star wars, unheard solo version of on the real, a dope the world is yours remix. Here we just have remix that were already out for a long time (for those who had the from illmatic to stillmatic cd) and a buch of silly remixes, only the cdq version odf i'm a villain is worthy, even the freestyle was not new. I'm disappointed. For a 20th anniversary cd they should heve real unreleased form the era, live version. I'm mean the get down version lavked bonuses but it was at least a prestigious bundle.
I hop the tribeca film will be great with a lot of unseen footage and hope they will a dvd of the live kennedy performance
These aren't silly remixes though. These were all made in 94 and they've got that 94 boom bap sound. They don't hold a candle to the originals, but no remix would. (Other than the Large Pro and Tip mixes). 94 boom bap from unknowns >>>>>> anything today.

That being said...you're right there should have been more unheard material.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
well.. why did you ask.. :snoop:

some folks have heard the stuff.. some havent.. maybe some lost it.. who cares.. if you heard it, clearly this thread doesnt apply to you, or whoever has happened to hear it..
I checked based on your response. I wanted to make sure my recollection was right.

Thread applies to me. I love that all these remixes are getting a proper release on CD. I might have to cop Illmatic for the 6th time now (and 7th if I pick up the vinyl too).

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
The cover is dope IMO.

But yeah they dropped the ball with this, Nas should have done it like the Mobb he probably doesn't have the records in the crates though. Like Mobb literally had to dig all those records up. It would have been dope if they had Deja Vu, Nas Will Prevail, Life is Like a Dice Game, Understanding with Biz Markie and AZ, Live at the BBQ to go along with the remixes and other freestyles such as the Wake Up show. I might fukk around and just make my own with an iTunes playlist. If it was up to me I would have dropped those tracks (don't know if Nas or the label has them :manny:) with more freestyles and the Time Is Illmatic documentary.

Still copping gonna get the bundle with the sweater want a physical Illmatic. To me Illmatic and Infamous are the greatest albums of All-Time.

Last edited: