Nas- Illmatic XX(20th Anniversary Edition) Official Discussion Thread

Change

All Star
Daps
i guess its been mislabeled

It's not mislabeled. It's a Premier beat. He's talking about when Q-Tip played it but they were talking about illmatic and Tip mentions how Primo may kill him for playing it. Definitely Premier and not Q-Tip.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
So they fukked up this release. Only the first disc is on vinyl! So all those remixes and I'm a Villian ain't. I saw the record today and was amped to buy it - glad I flipped it over and saw that all you get is the actual album. I was so disappointed I passed on buying the CD.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So they fukked up this release. Only the first disc is on vinyl! So all those remixes and I'm a Villian ain't. I saw the record today and was amped to buy it - glad I flipped it over and saw that all you get is the actual album. I was so disappointed I passed on buying the CD.

Here is an excellent article with the producer, explaining the limitations of the project. It ended up being a fraction of what it could've been.

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2014/04...e-hip-hop-reissue-food-for-thought-interview/

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Here is an excellent article with the producer, explaining the limitations of the project. It ended up being a fraction of what it could've been.

http://ambrosiaforheads.com/2014/04...e-hip-hop-reissue-food-for-thought-interview/
Great article breh. Thanks for posting. Really depressing though. Apparently there's a lot of golden era unreleased hip hop that's never gonna see the light of day due to sampling laws making the songs cost prohibitive. Art shouldn't suffer because of commerce.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Great article breh. Thanks for posting. Really depressing though. Apparently there's a lot of golden era unreleased hip hop that's never gonna see the light of day due to sampling laws making the songs cost prohibitive. Art shouldn't suffer because of commerce.

I know. It does suck. We all want All of Nas' Lost Tapes and unreleased remixes but the truth is we will be lucky to get a third of it. Imagine how many freestyles, and interviews he has that we will never know exist. Alternate versions with different beats too. Based I'm this info, I can basically tell yo what known unreleased tracks we will never get in a Lost Tapes project. Also, we are really screwed since Nothing leaks from his sessions anymore and he hasnt submitted unreleased music for a mix tape since the ****** tape.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not mislabeled. It's a Premier beat. He's talking about when Q-Tip played it but they were talking about illmatic and Tip mentions how Primo may kill him for playing it. Definitely Premier and not Q-Tip.

Does anyone have the link to that interview where Q-Tip plays this? Who interviewed him?

julesocean

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
So I had thought I checked this when it came out, but apparently not. In terms of how this is remastered, it's very much like the 10th Anniversary edition remaster but worse. Total brick wall.

If you are any kind of audiophile, pick up the original version, and just crank your volume up a little bit more. The original Illmatic was actually mixed and mastered very well for it's time.

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Trying to figure out why the 10th anniversary version is not on iTunes. I wants Star Wars and on the real

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
So I had thought I checked this when it came out, but apparently not. In terms of how this is remastered, it's very much like the 10th Anniversary edition remaster but worse. Total brick wall.

If you are any kind of audiophile, pick up the original version, and just crank your volume up a little bit more. The original Illmatic was actually mixed and mastered very well for it's time.
It's flat? Can you detail what you mean?