Nas Fans Unite...Almost 20 Years After The Fact It’s Probably Ok Now To Admit...

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
In Carmen's (Nas baby mom) tell allbook she said she caught Wiz watching Nas and Carmen's sex tape lol.

Oville

Pro
Daps
Was it about sales? Nastradamus was a big step down from I Am's sales, but more importantly it wasn't received well from anyone. It was a weak album. Meanwhile DMX was blowing up and Jay was Jay. I Am outsold Vol 3...but Hov's next album sold significantly more than Nastradamus and had a higher first week number than I Am. It's hard to deny Nas was falling while Hov was rising at that time.

It was the perfect time to strike and I get why Hov did it; hell, Nas got why Hov did it too. Of course we all know it ended with Nas winning but I think it's safe to say that AT THE TIME it looked like Nas was in trouble.

BTW in terms of Nas' comeback lets not forget that The Blueprint BARELY outsold Stillmatic first week despite having hit records. To deny Nas' comeback and achievement would be foolish. Not saying you're doing that obviously, I just don't think many people give Nas the credit he deserves for fighting back, beyond just "Ether was a great diss record." It was more than that.

Jay was more popular but Nas was still a huge force. He was also on big time deatires in between 99-2001. It's Mine, Hot Boyz, Let My nikkaz Live.

Daps
Jay was more popular but Nas was still a huge force. He was also on big time deatires in between 99-2001. It's Mine, Hot Boyz, Let My nikkaz Live.

lol Hot Boyz was the only relevant song out of the three

It’s Mine was dope but damn sure wasn’t touching Quiet Storm in visibility. Let My nikkax Live was a song on an album that marked the Wu’s downswing

Sinister

Banned
Daps

It’s Mine was dope but damn sure wasn’t touching Quiet Storm in visibility. Let My nikkax Live was a song on an album that marked the Wu’s downswing
Oochie Wally and that QB finest album?

MoneyBags

Dapper Don Don Boss of Bosses Chief of Chiefs
Daps
Reppin
East Side!
Man...I liked both of them, but was more of a Nas fan than Jay. I was in the Air Force and remember walking through the dorms and hearing EVERYONE bumping takeover from their rooms. Heard my homegirl in her room screaming "LLLAAAAAMMEEE"....I went to house parties and they playing Takeover. Most of my friends were more Jay fans than Nas fans, so they were giving it to me, pause. "What's up with your boy Nas? Why he so scared of Jay?"....all I could do was throw on Da Bridge 2001 and the Stillmatic freestyle to try and combat the car rides and clowning. I didn't even hear the Blueprint album in full until after Ether dropped, I knew it was dope but that was my way of supporting Nas (I was a teenager, smh). I love both of they music almost equally now, but back then in 01, nikkas was under pressure waiting for that response lol

Oville

Pro
Daps

Oochie Wally and that QB finest album?

Its Mine was huge bro. And Let My nikkaz Live and Show Disciplone off the jadakiss album fed the streets

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
Not really

Nas was coming off his habitual two year album cycle in which he put out TWO platinum albums in the same year. Yes Nastradamus had a lukewarm response but this “Nas was all but DONE” narrative is complete and utter bullshyt. If he had outright flopped on Nastradamus then yea, there would be some trepidation, but he was still one of the most popular rappers in the world at the time

I am’s first week OUTSOLD Vol. 3’s first week. Was Grammy nominated and critically acclaimed

Nas wasn't doing music because his mother was on her deathbed. Nobody thought he was done. He just went ghost to deal with that. Jay started that narrative about Nas being done because he was obsessed with nas. People knew that Nas was handling real life or death shyt.

blankstairz

Superstar
Daps
Never.

Had Jay not made Takeover...there wouldn't have been an Ether. Nas might have continued to just meander, career-wise, to this day.

There is a reason why Jay went at Nas when he did. Nas was at his 'lowest' point in his career. Nas wasn't struggling, but he just wasn't consistent. Jay thought it was the best time to strike. Jay finally had his chance to take down the man he stanned for years.

All the odds were in Jay's favor. He had the Roc. Jay's thing was battle rap. His domain. Not necessarily Nas'.There is no way he could lose.

right? :sas1:

At least that is what Jay thought. :sas1:

But...there was one thing....:sas1:

Don't wake the sleeping giant. :sas2:

Nas was that Giant. :huhldup:

And Nas showed and proved with Ether. :ahh:

The rest is history. :banderas:

Last edited:

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wasn't at all. In fact I thought Jigga was throwing him the alley oop, lit a fire under him that Nas notoriously didn't have, I knew it'd turn out great for Nas. Imagine if Jay-z never dissed him on that verse, would Nas's career trajectory have turned out the same as it has? Him defeating Jay-z is probably his second most notable accolade aside from Illmatic, that was/is a big big deal in hip hop history. Thanks Jay-z, for giving the GOAT a jolt of energy and sacrificing yourself for the greater good, :huhldup::ahh:

full