My Fave Disney Film...Hamilton

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Oh shyt! King George is old boy from Mindhunters! Mind fukking blown. :wtf:
Surprised the hell out of me too. Hamilton was good though. Very talented cast. They had the Nigeria cat on an interview I heard recently and everybody thinks they made retirement type money and dude said the money was good but still they would go on auditions for tv and film during the day and do Hamilton at night. I guess that's how it is for theater.. its cool but nothing beats scoring a tv or movie role. Kinda crazy considering Hamilton was a smash hit and a monster touring all over the US

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
Finally saw it last night on Disney+. I’m not trying to be a contrarian, but I did not dig this at all.

If anybody ever wants to torture me, one method would be locking me in a room with nothing but rappity rappy rap Eminem songs blaring through speakers for hours. That is what it feels like listening to Lin-Manuel Miranda rap...and I respect his work. I loved In The Heights (looking forward to the movie with Anthony Ramos as the star), grew up in the same neighborhood as LMM, eager to check out The Little Mermaid and generally root for him.

But this play did nothing for me, and I could not wait for it to end. You can’t deny the talent of the cast, and the overall production value of the play. It won 11 TONY awards for a reason.

But a lot of the rap shyt annoyed me especially in the beginning...and I didn’t like the rap battles. It was cheesy rhymes and rhyme styles to me. I also don’t love the idea of the play - making these white men and women who didn’t value the lives of black people seem cool in today’s world via one of the more valuable forms of black culture, while having practically the entire cast be played by Black American, Latino and Asian people.

My primary complaint isn’t about not representing slavery in the play as much, because I’ve seen more than enough slave movies/plays at this point. It’s just more about the optics of it when I think about the layers involved. As an example, I can’t endorse something that makes Thomas Jefferson seem like the funny, cool, drunk guy...especially when played by a black dude. Just the whole idea of this play makes me wonder - like what was the goal when it was conceived? Just asking.

And personally, it’s uncomfortable for me knowing that a lot of the audience who watched the play on Broadway, who helped make it as big as it was, who rave about it to this day represent demos that help perpetuate the legacies of oppression in this country - affluent, rich and even wealthy white people.

I’d like to ask some of those fans what they really enjoyed about the play. Is it the music? Did you honestly get those rappity rappy rap song lyrics on first listen? I barely did myself, and hip hop is my shyt. So what’d you like? Do you like that these American founding fathers are being made “hip”? Do you like that it’s being done by a bunch of singing and dancing non-whites? It honestly seemed minstrel show-ish to me.

It felt to me like what Chappelle mentioned about leaving his show while filming season 3 because he got that feeling when the white exec(s) was watching on with a specific type of laugh and smile during a big race sketch. There are layers with this play, and I’m just not a fan of it...not in “today’s world”, not when it first dropped years ago (because ain’t shyt changed) and definitely not in the theater.

Last edited:

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
I was actually too hard on Leslie Odom. He’s the best actor in the show. He brought so much life to Burr’s character. Almost all my favorite parts (e.g., Hamilton wrote the other 51, etc) are mostly Burr parts. He’s also not a bad singer at all. I think he’s in the top 5 as a vocalist in a really talented cast. That’s nothing to sneeze at.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Finally saw it last night on Disney+. I’m not trying to be a contrarian, but I did not dig this at all.

If anybody ever wants to torture me, one method would be locking me in a room with nothing but rappity rappy rap Eminem songs blaring through speakers for hours. That is what it feels like listening to Lin-Manuel Miranda rap...and I respect his work. I loved In The Heights (looking forward to the movie with Anthony Ramos as the star), grew up in the same neighborhood as LMM, eager to check out The Little Mermaid and generally root for him.

But this play did nothing for me, and I could not wait for it to end. You can’t deny the talent of the cast, and the overall production value of the play. It won 11 TONY awards for a reason.

But a lot of the rap shyt annoyed me especially in the beginning...and I didn’t like the rap battles. It was cheesy rhymes and rhyme styles to me. I also don’t love the idea of the play - making these white men and women who didn’t value the lives of black people seem cool in today’s world via one of the more valuable forms of black culture, while having practically the entire cast be played by Black American, Latino and Asian people.

My primary complaint isn’t about not representing slavery in the play as much, because I’ve seen more than enough slave movies/plays at this point. It’s just more about the optics of it when I think about the layers involved. As an example, I can’t endorse something that makes Thomas Jefferson seem like the funny, cool, drunk guy...especially when played by a black dude. Just the whole idea of this play makes me wonder - like what was the goal when it was conceived? Just asking.

And personally, it’s uncomfortable for me knowing that a lot of the audience who watched the play on Broadway, who helped make it as big as it was, who rave about it to this day represent demos that help perpetuate the legacies of oppression in this country - affluent, rich and even wealthy white people.

I’d like to ask some of those fans what they really enjoyed about the play. Is it the music? Did you honestly get those rappity rappy rap song lyrics on first listen? I barely did myself, and hip hop is my shyt. So what’d you like? Do you like that these American founding fathers are being made “hip”? Do you like that it’s being done by a bunch of singing and dancing non-whites? It honestly seemed minstrel show-ish to me.

It felt to me like what Chappelle mentioned about leaving his show while filming season 3 because he got that feeling when the white exec(s) was watching on with a specific type of laugh and smile during a big race sketch. There are layers with this play, and I’m just not a fan of it...not in “today’s world”, not when it first dropped years ago (because ain’t shyt changed) and definitely not in the theater.

Bruh I felt the same way.
My homegirl forced me to watch this.
shyt was so corny to me. Seemed so force. I said no wonder this blew up white folks love this shyt :heh:
Dude sounded like he locked himself in a room listening to nothing but emeniem for 8 months and wrote this shyt. It was cringey af to me but I see why people like this shyt. It was a different way to teach something boring. Same shyt they do with school children and learning. Happens all the time when a black teacher comes up with a rap to teach math or some shyt and goes viral. The actors werent bad.
Just everything else was to me.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high

To answer your question about the lyrics. Yes. It was easy to understand on one listen. But like a good rap album, you can watch it again and pick up a few things you missed the first time.

And regarding your disdain of the portrail of Jefferson... He's human. That is to say, you gotta assume that sometimes he was fun, sometimes he was mean, sometimes he was caring, etc. I didn't feel like the play painted him in good light, he was just another character. Not necessarily good or evil

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

Tasha And

Superstar
Daps
Watched it tonight finally after putting it off for a long time because I don't like getting caught up in hype.

shyt was so corny to me. Seemed so force. I said no wonder this blew up white folks love this shyt
This was exactly my immediate reaction to around the first 10-15 minutes. I was sitting there like :unimpressed: through the first few numbers. I actually paused it at one point, saw another 2 hours remaining and deep sighed before saying to my gf "I get why cacs loved this shyt now. Eminem style goofy rappity rapping with happy black people playing historical figures, so cacs can go home raving and feeling good and cool because they saw some "hip" hip hopopera love letter to america starring a diverse cast"

I was legit convinced that this was a gimmick I was already tired of and that I would hate it after the first 10-15 minutes

But man....by the time we got to Helpless, I was tapping my feet and I could feel my icy heart melting:francis:

Then we got to Satisfied and I legit hit the:wow:a few times reluctantly.....by the intermission, I was hooked by the story and the music was doing it for me...

The shyt won me over breh, I can't even lie..... I really wanted to dismiss it because it is filled with the typical shyt that I don't usually like, but I can't front that the production had me :mjcry:towards the end and that I didn't immediately go to spotify to listen to the soundtrack and that I'm not currently in my room on christmas eve singing never be satisfied
full

I don't fault anybody for not fukking with it though. I was convinced I would be in that camp...until I just wasn't.

ShaneTheRogue

Roguelike
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
Watched it tonight finally after putting it off for a long time because I don't like getting caught up in hype.

This was exactly my immediate reaction to around the first 10-15 minutes. I was sitting there like :unimpressed: through the first few numbers. I actually paused it at one point, saw another 2 hours remaining and deep sighed before saying to my gf "I get why cacs loved this shyt now. Eminem style goofy rappity rapping with happy black people playing historical figures, so cacs can go home raving and feeling good and cool because they saw some "hip" hip hopopera love letter to america starring a diverse cast"

I was legit convinced that this was a gimmick I was already tired of and that I would hate it after the first 10-15 minutes

But man....by the time we got to Helpless, I was tapping my feet and I could feel my icy heart melting:francis:

Then we got to Satisfied and I legit hit the:wow:a few times reluctantly.....by the intermission, I was hooked by the story and the music was doing it for me...

The shyt won me over breh, I can't even lie..... I really wanted to dismiss it because it is filled with the typical shyt that I don't usually like, but I can't front that the production had me :mjcry:towards the end and that I didn't immediately go to spotify to listen to the soundtrack and that I'm not currently in my room on christmas eve singing never be satisfied
full

I don't fault anybody for not fukking with it though. I was convinced I would be in that camp...until I just wasn't.

Satisfied sealed it for me too lol

ShaneTheRogue

Roguelike
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Tennessee
The Disney+ did the music a disservice tho imo. I watched a bootleg months before the official streaming release and it seems like the actors where over emphasizing their words for the convivence of the audience I think. Made some of the raps and songs not flow as good.