My coding journey..

godliness

• M Δ § † ë ® ¥ °
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Hands on Green Money
Ohh got it yeah if you're not planning on working in big tech and your current stack is React/Typescript then stick with Node.Js for your back end and just make sure you understand how the language works with regards to concurrency and know how to use Arrays, Lists, Hash maps, Hash Sets, Stacks and Queues. And yeah if you're gonna be full stack you'd need to familiarize yourself with Relational SQL and NoSQL and the pro's and con's of both and also know how to use ORMs, Micro ORM's or raw SQL tooling. I'm not the Node.JS guy tho so I'm not familiar with what tools exist for that language as far as SQL goes :hubie:

But once you get that stuff down, then you can start looking at design patterns.
Great. I'll get this done then.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
So i've decided to pivot. About a week ago, I realized that web development didn't really interest me. I chose to go that route based on endless youtube videos. I always wanted to go into Python, Machine Learning, and AI. I always planned on learning Python after I was comfortable with Front End devepment.

Then, just me fukking around, I skipped doing Javascript and read up on Python. I learned enough JavaScript concepts that understanding Python was :krs:

The fundamentals are the same, but Python is a lot easier to work with. :blessed:

So i'm going to fukk around with this for a few weeks. I feel like i've gotten over the hump in terms of teaching myself how to code. Learning how to use VS Code. Learning how to work with different frameworks.

I cheated with JavaScript once I discovered.. GITHUB COPILOT & CodiumAI :wow:

Using those extensions basically sped up the process. it made coding in JavaScript 1000 times easier. As long as you understand the basic fundamentals, if you add those extensions, you will cut a lot of time off your development.

So right now, I'm on to Python. But I'm going to still do random JavaScript sessions, just to stay sharp and continue to build.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Let me reiterate, Python is way easier to learn and code with compared to JavaScript.

If you learn JavaScript first though, it will make learning Python 10 times easier as well. The transition is smoother.

I've only being learning Python for less than 2 weeks and i'm about to build my first app.

For the GUI, i'm going to try to use Figma. At first I was going to use Tkinter, but I discovered you can also build with Figma. I'm going to play around with it, add the extension to vscode and see what I can come up with.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Let me reiterate, Python is way easier to learn and code with compared to JavaScript.

If you learn JavaScript first though, it will make learning Python 10 times easier as well. The transition is smoother.

I've only being learning Python for less than 2 weeks and i'm about to build my first app.

For the GUI, i'm going to try to use Figma. At first I was going to use Tkinter, but I discovered you can also build with Figma. I'm going to play around with it, add the extension to vscode and see what I can come up with.
May I ask what your first app is going to be? It can be a vague answer just curious as I plan to dive more into software development as a goal for this last month and into 2024 planning on making my main langs Python and Javascript as well.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
May I ask what your first app is going to be? It can be a vague answer just curious as I plan to dive more into software development as a goal for this last month and into 2024 planning on making my main langs Python and Javascript as well.

It’s a push up counter app.

Each time you enter a push up amount and submit, it will show the number and date/time stamp it.

Each day with show the total amount, and you can look for trends and do historical tracking.

There was an app I used on Android that did most of what I want this to to, but I couldn’t find it once I switched to iPhones.

The first app I already wrote the Python code for is a simple grades app. You enter the grade and it will show your grade and a message based on the grade scale. I’m using this first so I can play around with the gui and creating an .exe file.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
It’s a push up counter app.

Each time you enter a push up amount and submit, it will show the number and date/time stamp it.

Each day with show the total amount, and you can look for trends and do historical tracking.

There was an app I used on Android that did most of what I want this to to, but I couldn’t find it once I switched to iPhones.

The first app I already wrote the Python code for is a simple grades app. You enter the grade and it will show your grade and a message based on the grade scale. I’m using this first so I can play around with the gui and creating an .exe file.
Awesome, I've read through here and inspired by the journey, hope to replicate something like it for myself going into next year. Have a bit of Javascript and Python experience but I wanna go into making real world projects by myself or at least projects I find interesting. I went to a hackathon about a couple months ago and my group did a lot of Javascript and ML.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
Awesome, I've read through here and inspired by the journey, hope to replicate something like it for myself going into next year. Have a bit of Javascript and Python experience but I wanna go into making real world projects by myself or at least projects I find interesting. I went to a hackathon about a couple months ago and my group did a lot of Javascript and ML.

Have you tried React Native (Javascript)?

React Native is pretty simple to use, here is an example:

JavaScript:
// Import necessary React and React Native components
import React, { useState } from 'react';
import { View, Text, TouchableOpacity, StyleSheet } from 'react-native';

// Functional component CounterApp
const CounterApp = () => {
  // State to manage the counter value
  const [counter, setCounter] = useState(0);

// Function to increment the counter
  const incrementCounter = () => {
    setCounter(counter + 1);
  };

// Function to decrement the counter
  const decrementCounter = () => {
    setCounter(counter - 1);
  };

return (
    <View style={styles.container}>
      {/* Display the counter value */}
      <Text style={styles.counterText}>{counter}</Text>

{/* Buttons to increment and decrement the counter */}
      <TouchableOpacity style={styles.button} onPress={incrementCounter}>
        <Text style={styles.buttonText}>Increment</Text>
      </TouchableOpacity>

<TouchableOpacity style={styles.button} onPress={decrementCounter}>
        <Text style={styles.buttonText}>Decrement</Text>
      </TouchableOpacity>
    </View>
  );
};

// Styles for the components
const styles = StyleSheet.create({
  container: {
    flex: 1,
    justifyContent: 'center',
    alignItems: 'center',
  },
  counterText: {
    fontSize: 24,
    fontWeight: 'bold',
    marginBottom: 20,
  },
  button: {
    backgroundColor: 'blue',
    padding: 10,
    margin: 5,
    borderRadius: 5,
  },
  buttonText: {
    color: 'white',
    fontSize: 16,
  },
});

// Export the CounterApp component
export default CounterApp;

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps

For Python, have you seen WXPython, or QT for Python?

Figma is nice because there a ton of plugins to export designs to various code bases.
You can even export to standard HTML & CSS, or React/React Native, or even Flutter/Dart

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Have you tried React Native (Javascript)?

React Native is pretty simple to use, here is an example:

JavaScript:
// Import necessary React and React Native components
import React, { useState } from 'react';
import { View, Text, TouchableOpacity, StyleSheet } from 'react-native';

// Functional component CounterApp
const CounterApp = () => {
  // State to manage the counter value
  const [counter, setCounter] = useState(0);

// Function to increment the counter
  const incrementCounter = () => {
    setCounter(counter + 1);
  };

// Function to decrement the counter
  const decrementCounter = () => {
    setCounter(counter - 1);
  };

return (
    <View style={styles.container}>
      {/* Display the counter value */}
      <Text style={styles.counterText}>{counter}</Text>

{/* Buttons to increment and decrement the counter */}
      <TouchableOpacity style={styles.button} onPress={incrementCounter}>
        <Text style={styles.buttonText}>Increment</Text>
      </TouchableOpacity>

<TouchableOpacity style={styles.button} onPress={decrementCounter}>
        <Text style={styles.buttonText}>Decrement</Text>
      </TouchableOpacity>
    </View>
  );
};

// Styles for the components
const styles = StyleSheet.create({
  container: {
    flex: 1,
    justifyContent: 'center',
    alignItems: 'center',
  },
  counterText: {
    fontSize: 24,
    fontWeight: 'bold',
    marginBottom: 20,
  },
  button: {
    backgroundColor: 'blue',
    padding: 10,
    margin: 5,
    borderRadius: 5,
  },
  buttonText: {
    color: 'white',
    fontSize: 16,
  },
});

// Export the CounterApp component
export default CounterApp;
Have heard of it, but haven't gone into it too deep. Will give it a shot, thanks.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
For Python, have you seen WXPython, or QT for Python?

Figma is nice because there a ton of plugins to export designs to various code bases.
You can even export to standard HTML & CSS, or React/React Native, or even Flutter/Dart

I haven’t gotten that deep yet. I still need to figure out figma.

I’m using Tkinter for these first few apps. I’m going thru a phase with Python where I’m basically writing code and then fixing shyt on the fly. With JavaScript I was doing too many tutorials instead of creating my own code. But with Python I can write code freely and google answers as I go along. I’m hoping I can do the same with Javascript when I double back.

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
I haven’t gotten that deep yet. I still need to figure out figma.

I’m using Tkinter for these first few apps. I’m going thru a phase with Python where I’m basically writing code and then fixing shyt on the fly. With JavaScript I was doing too many tutorials instead of creating my own code. But with Python I can write code freely and google answers as I go along. I’m hoping I can do the same with Javascript when I double back.

Cool, keep Plugin away Breh!
:salute:

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
Ya syntax is basically just describing the content on the page. It's essential for other machines/programs to read your site. Who knows where HTML will go once AI is a part of every day life.

xhtml maybe not html.

I learned C++ and HTML (with based table layouts) back in the late 90s in high school. Front end technologies have come a crazy long way since then while C++ is essentially exactly what I learned.

do you know the c++ threading model, lambdas, coroutines, ranges, concepts and metaprogramming?

what you learnt is not like c++20.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Cool, keep Plugin away Breh!
:salute:
So I’m past beginner level Python at this point. I feel like I’ve master the basics. I started learning numpy and pandas 3 weeks ago.

I played a with Tkinter, but for GUI, but I chose to go with QT first.

I also stumbled upon another language called R. Data Analytics is more of my wheelhouse.

What’s crazy is I started learning JS first. Lost interest but the concepts I learned helped progress with Python a lot faster. The first program I wrote was a grade calculator. The second was a quiz game.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
This has been a unique journey. While I was learning to "code", I've gone through a lot of self reflection in determining what I want to do as well as learn 2 important things. The difference between a coder and a programmer.

Learning to code is like learning basic arithmetic, then writing complete sentences, then holding a conversation.
Learning to programming is like learning to write an novel. or some other type of publication.

After reading and watching so many stories about the tech industry then factoring in my age, and my long term career goals, I've decided against trying to land a tech job and simply build a tech start up with the specific goal of building an app with free and paid subscriptions. Ultimately I want to gain enough users until it pops on a bigger company's radar to make an offer to buy it. Then ride off into the sunset.

I'm currently learning, Kotlin as I figure I would build an Android version first. Why? Because my MacBook Air is broke, and I'm too cheap to get a new one. Plus I figured, since there are more Android users than Apple, I can start there. If the app becomes popular, I can always build an iOS version.

Since I spent so much time learning JS and Python, understanding Kotlin hasn't been difficult. Since it's just me and I don't have a team to help me build this, I'm using Chat-GTP, Google and YouTube.

I think my biggest hurdle will be with the UI. It's something that I use to love, now I hate it. My design genes died about 10 years ago. Unless it's something that I can plug and play, I can't fukk with it. So I'll probably buy a template.

The app I'm building already has a market. Once's it's up and running, I'm going to look for 100 people to test the beta version and then update it as needed.

Once I'm ready to launch version 1.0. I will recruit members here to join the group of 100 for a few more tests before officially launching.

My budget for this is $5,000.00 Once I get to a certain point, I will hire some programmers in Sri Lanka or Ghana. Some place where people are willing to work for low $$$.

My launch goal is Q1 or Q2 next year. Obviously I had to find a new gig so When I'm not working, I'm coding or researching.