My coding journey..

SuaveyBoi115

All Star
Daps
And you’re utilizing ChatGPT?
I’m not, I’ve been using my Snapchat ai system :russ: I was suppose to install chatgpt on my PC awhile ago but I’ve been severely lacking:snoop:
What kinda programming class?
It’s an intro programming class at my local Community College. The class is called CIS 6 and It’s a major class requirement for a statistics major when I transfer.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:
Update:

I was bushed so I couldn’t give daily updates.

One of the biggest hurdles when self studying is learning how to learn. I needed a more structured learning experience.

So I found codecademy and it’s been a huge assist. It’s less than $100 a month and they have several languages and other topics you can learn.

I’m still on the front end learning JavaScript. I should be done with it by the end of next month (even though it’s designed to take 6 months). I also watch video tutorials to see if I can follow along.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
Update:

I was bushed so I couldn’t give daily updates.

One of the biggest hurdles when self studying is learning how to learn. I needed a more structured learning experience.

So I found codecademy and it’s been a huge assist. It’s less than $100 a month and they have several languages and other topics you can learn.

I’m still on the front end learning JavaScript. I should be done with it by the end of next month (even though it’s designed to take 6 months). I also watch video tutorials to see if I can follow along.
How do you have 6 hours 6 days a week to dedicate to this?

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
How do you have 6 hours 6 days a week to dedicate to this?
I saved up roughly 8 months living expenses. Then I got fired on purpose by smashing one of my employees at work. Another 6 months of unemployment.

I actually got a job offer (I’ve been interviewing for jobs in my regular line of work just to stay busy), but I haven’t decided if I’m going to take it.

For the past 15 years I’ve held mid level management positions in the service or hospitality industry averaging $89,000 - $105,000 a year. But working in that industry, you become stagnant and trapped. As a manager you never really have days off. You can’t have a day off and completely forget about work.

I want to be done with that industry altogether. My earning potential is pretty much maxed out at no more than $105,000. And I want to work remotely. I have a house in Ghana and eventually I want to move there permanently.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I saved up roughly 8 months living expenses. Then I got fired on purpose by smashing one of my employees at work. Another 6 months of unemployment.

I actually got a job offer (I’ve been interviewing for jobs in my regular line of work just to stay busy), but I haven’t decided if I’m going to take it.

For the past 15 years I’ve held mid level management positions in the service or hospitality industry averaging $89,000 - $105,000 a year. But working in that industry, you become stagnant and trapped. As a manager you never really have days off. You can’t have a day off and completely forget about work.

I want to be done with that industry altogether. My earning potential is pretty much maxed out at no more than $105,000. And I want to work remotely. I have a house in Ghana and eventually I want to move there permanently.
Wow ok, dope

:dead: Is there a thread on bolded? Lol

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
I've been on nothing but JS for the most part for the past few weeks. I'm good with understanding variables and all of the data types. IF statements and conditionals for the most part. I'm going over loops again. I was studying Objects, and will be going of those again this week.

I've read people saying, you don't need to learn JavaScript.. you can just go straight to React. But wouldn't learning JS make learning React easier. I've watched a few videos regarding that very topic. There are parts of JS that you need to understand to make working with React easier. Basic concepts.

The funny part is I've also watched videos and have read code for other languages. They all pretty much work the same.

Codecademy, is probably a 6/10. There is a lot in the course that doesn't cover everything. I discovered since I've been learning that, there are multiple ways to write code, and at the end of the day, the goal it seems is to write as little code as possible and to simply make it readable and more importantly reusable. When you write code, it's basically your name or your brand.

Initially, I took a few things and starting trying to build shyt. I stopped because basically all I was doing is googling or taking code from other sources and writing it in. I've learned that writing code is usually the last step and should take the least amount of time.

I've also been paying attention to the overall industry. A lot of doom and gloom. Some content creators seem to be discouraging people from jumping in.

Not me :mjpls:

Even if I have to create my own start up, so be it.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
I took a pause today from JavaScript to dive into postgresql. I have experience with databases, so learning this shouldn't take a long time. I will only spend a day or two on this. Sometime in November, I will also learn MongoDB to complete the relational vs non relational database cypher :noah:

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
I haven't read or practiced any html or css in 3 weeks and I still understand it. I watched a video on bootstrap today, so going forward, i'm just going to use that. I'm debating on whether or not I should just use a template for my portfolio site :manny:

javascript is coming along. I know data types, variables, conditionals, loops, objects, functions and classes. But just the basics. I also played around with DOM.

I'm not ready to jump into React just yet. I'm hoping to dive into it by next week.

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Not sure if mentioned earlier but as someone with 12 years of experience and having worked at multiple FAANGs.

Skip the html.

If you're gonna learn front end, learn how to setup an angular or react app and learn how to use CSS within the context of the angular/react framework.

If you're going to learn one of the two, learn the angular with Typescript imo. I've never seen good react so I'm not sure about the practices, but every angular team I've seen follows the angular architecture on that website and the code all pretty much looks the same.

After you get the basics down.

Understand promises, observables, asynchronous development and how concurrency works.

Then once you've gotten that down

^if you want to make 350k+ in this field, you need be good at that above anything else.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Not sure if mentioned earlier but as someone with 12 years of experience and having worked at multiple FAANGs.

Skip the html.

If you're gonna learn front end, learn how to setup an angular or react app and learn how to use CSS within the context of the angular/react framework.

If you're going to learn one of the two, learn the angular with Typescript imo. I've never seen good react so I'm not sure about the practices, but every angular team I've seen follows the angular architecture on that website and the code all pretty much looks the same.

After you get the basics down.

Understand promises, observables, asynchronous development and how concurrency works.

Then once you've gotten that down

^if you want to make 350k+ in this field, you need be good at that above anything else.

I'm about 70% done with JavaScript. Should I go straight to Typescript next?

Is it that different from JavaScript?

Do most companies use frameworks or is it good to know pure JavaScript?

Ty Daniels

All Star
Daps
I'm about 70% done with JavaScript. Should I go straight to Typescript next?

Is it that different from JavaScript?

Do most companies use frameworks or is it good to know pure JavaScript?

Typescript is pretty much regular Javascript but with "Types".

It is designed to prevent runtime errors, by sticking to "Data Types" as Javascript is "Type Flexible".

Most companies are using Frameworks especially for frontend.

React, Vue, Angular or Svelte are the top options.

Knowing Pure Javascript is good, but you will also need to learn a framework or two (or more).

React and Vue are used more than other frameworks.
Angular used to be used more by a lot of Devs, I see it being used primarily by larger "Enterprise" companies.

Also you will have to learn HTML as all Frontend frameworks require HTML Dom Objects to function, even if the "Dom Objects" are custom components.

Back to typescript, you can learn it, or not.
In a large production environment, you will probably see a lot of adoption, as it helps eliminate runtime errors.

HTML and CSS are easy, just learn the basics.

Also as someone who has been coding for decades, my suggestion to you is to "Tinker".

I'm self-taught, know a lot of different languages and frameworks.
But "Tinkering" and understanding how to "think like a programmer", will take you a lot farther in my opinion.