Murders rates in the early 90s seemed unreal looking back at it

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
it was the crack era.....i remember how rough the 90s was.....the kids now are different from when was coming up...and thats a good thing...u really had to fight a nikka just about every block u went into

sportscribe

Superstar
Daps
Don't underestimate the role of the destruction of inner city public housing complexes in the reduction of violent crime. Gentrification might be a taboo word, but it has certainly played its role is reducing inner city crime. The drawback though is that it has pushed crime to the suburbs, particularly in the major cities. Violent crime was notoriously high in some of these housing complexes because a lot of these gangs could control entire buildings that served as a base for their narcotics distribution. Now the gangs are more sprawled out throughout the cities. It shouldn't be lost upon anyone though that it was the introduction of crack into the ghettos that made them deteriorate the 80s and 90s levels.

toomanydoses

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Back in Florida
They never stopped, its always just a different drug, political conflict, etc. Look up pictures of marines guarding poppy fields not eradicating them in Afghanistan. And look up videos of convoys guarding shipments into Iran.
And director of the CIA back when they were flooding black neighborhoods with drugs and guns and subversive agents in gangs and organizations....H.W. was in some really nasty shyt too

Jamaal

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
In Humboldt County, from Oakland
Read your history. I grew up in that shyt and the brehs are right...Reagan fukked us all in ways that affect us to this day; of course, shyt was already ugly, but he took it to another level of the game
A while ago, I read about how his administration went after the Black Panthers and them being the main reason why he supported gun control. No wonder why today's RWers idolize him so much. He sounded like a hatemongerer, and justified selfishness through trickle-down. If I were old enough to watch him become president, I would've been throwing stuff at my TV every time he was on.

Tommy Sheppard

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say looser police and laws made the crime rate higher. If nikkas could be on the block wavin down cars and open air drug markets and sellin dope in front of cops like they use to then the violence would probably be the same, granted the drug trade was still as profitable
this sounds like hamsterdam :what:

Daps
i often think about all the artistic and academic geniuses that the black american community lost either to murder or prison during that period....

i have no doubt its the reason for the decline in black american art nowadays...no one was around to pass the tradition to the younger kids..