MsJackyOh (Dcyoungfly wife) dies while getting cosmetic surgery

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Ok…whether you want to call it a flaw, insecurity, whatever, it’s 100% natural to be bothered by things you feel self conscious about. That’s not mental illness, some people aren’t pressed about it, others want to fix it. Doing a procedure or two is not the same as body dysmorphia - those who have this are never ok with their body and will continue to do stuff they don’t need, someone who gets a breast lift or implants and keeps it moving afterwards is not mentally ill. :what:
I understand not viewing it as a mental illness but it's not natural neither. It's cultural. What's natural is aging, and other cultures in the world aren't fighting its cosmetic aspects like some Western cultures do. Where some of us see wrinkles as flaws or sagging breasts as a sin, they see it as a mark of wisdom or a matter of fact.

So it's not a stretch to say that, even if it's not a mental illness per se, the worship of youthfulness aspect that leads people to feel disgusted by their normal body to the point of attempting to alter it in a risky way... is a warped perspective. Maybe not textbook mental illness, but definitely not mentally healthy.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I understand not viewing it as a mental illness but it's not natural neither. It's cultural. What's natural is aging, and other cultures in the world aren't fighting its cosmetic aspects like some Western cultures do. Where some of us see wrinkles as flaws or sagging breasts as a sin, they see it as a mark of wisdom or a matter of fact.

So it's not a stretch to say that, even if it's not a mental illness per se, the worship of youthfulness aspect that leads people to feel disgusted by their normal body to the point of attempting to alter it in a risky way... is a warped perspective. Maybe not textbook mental illness, but definitely not mentally healthy.
I agree it’s cultural but I don’t believe it’s unhealthy unless it becomes obsessive. People fix their teeth and no on says shyt, despite there them not having any health issues from jacked teeth. People with fukked up skin/acne go to dermatologists and fix it, despit there being no health risks from acne or dark spots. People wear extra hair to enhance a lack thereof, sorry it’s not mentally unhealthy for a woman suffering from female pattern baldness to want to more hair, it’s something they once had and is the norm. If you had nice perky breasts for 35 years and then lose them after a childbirth, your normal body to you is the one where you had perky breasts. Yes, cultures have different standards, we can’t change or control that, but if you live in a culture where what you had or lack is valued, some people will try to attain or preserve it.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I agree it’s cultural but I don’t believe it’s unhealthy unless it becomes obsessive. People fix their teeth and no on says shyt, despite there them not having any health issues from jacked teeth. People with fukked up skin/acne go to dermatologists and fix it, despit there being no health risks from acne or dark spots. People wear extra hair to enhance a lack thereof, sorry it’s not mentally unhealthy for a woman suffering from female pattern baldness to want to more hair, it’s something they once had and is the norm. If you had nice perky breasts for 35 years and then lose them after a childbirth, your normal body to you is the one where you had perky breasts. Yes, cultures have different standards, we can’t change or control that, but if you live in a culture where what you had or lack is valued, some people will try to attain or preserve it.
I think the examples you give are compelling even though I don't necessarily agree with them. Thing is I was talking about the natural process of aging, which happens to all of us, and that's different from being born with fukked up teeth, or a skin or hair condition, which are random statistical occurrences.

So I don't think you can compare a woman having alopecia and a woman seeing her body change after giving birth. The 2nd is the result of that process of aging, and in that context, the unhealthy part is being unable to accept it, as you and I had to accept it when we went from toddlers, to kids, through puberty, then adulthood.

I'm saying that our cultural perspective is unhealthy because it literally leads to discomfort and lower levels of happiness, which I think you'd agree on? Do you think that outcomes would be better if individuals with this kind of insecurities were to challenge their perspective?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think the examples you give are compelling even though I don't necessarily agree with them. Thing is I was talking about the natural process of aging, which happens to all of us, and that's different from being born with fukked up teeth, or a skin or hair condition, which are random statistical occurrences.

So I don't think you can compare a woman having alopecia and a woman seeing her body change after giving birth. The 2nd is the result of that process of aging, and in that context, the unhealthy part is being unable to accept it, as you and I had to accept it when we went from toddlers, to kids, through puberty, then adulthood.

I'm saying that our cultural perspective is unhealthy because it literally leads to discomfort and lower levels of happiness, which I think you'd agree on? Do you think that outcomes would be better if individuals with this kind of insecurities were to challenge their perspective?
Female pattern baldness isn’t the same as alopecia, it comes due to aging/hormone changes for most of the women who get it.

To your last paragraph, I think the issue is so much beyond challenging yourself to look beyond insecurities, this stuff can be deeply embedded and reinforced by people you love and trust, and if you don’t have the strength to brush it off, it can eat you up. That said, I wish society at large would do better about being more realistic about looks, but I don’t think that will happen, the US has been selling looks/sex at least since the 1920’s

African Peasant

Veteran
Daps
Ok…whether you want to call it a flaw, insecurity, whatever, it’s 100% natural to be bothered by things you feel self conscious about. That’s not mental illness, some people aren’t pressed about it, others want to fix it. Doing a procedure or two is not the same as body dysmorphia - those who have this are never ok with their body and will continue to do stuff they don’t need, someone who gets a breast lift or implants and keeps it moving afterwards is not mentally ill. :what:
It's vanity. It's not better.

You get old, it sucks, but it's like that. You don't put your life at risk for minor inconveniences.