MS' Next Acquisition May Be Bigger Than Bethesda

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
"as of September 30, 2020, its accumulated sales reached 5.0 million, making it the 2nd best selling Street Fighter game on home consoles according to Capcom's Platinum fiscal report." And that was with the input lag and malware at launch. What's equally crazy is that the input lag was a console issue because all the multiplatform games had less lag on the xbox one.
Took 5 years and selling the game for $5 to make it here.

Game struggles heavily early on.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
@SCJoe also capcom playing funny with the numbers.

The 5 mill is for all versions of SFV combined.

They compare that to the first version of SF4 and say it sold more, but all SF4 versions combined sold more than 9 million

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Thats the reason you buy them, to bring in folks who would otherwise not buy the console. The 360 jrpgs were solid but all new ips, if they had a final fantasy or persona level game it would force fans to buy the console. I literally only bought a ps4 for the fighting games because crossplay wasn't a thing and street fighter/guilty gear were exclusives.
Most people aren’t gonna buy an Xbox just for Persona. That isn’t a system seller. A good chunk of their sales are still from Japan and if you stick Persona only on Xbox where the audience doesn’t care about it you’ll drastically reduce the sales and ultimately kill the franchise.

Bethesda made sense because Xbox gamers were interested in those games. They like stuff like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Core Xbox gamers aren’t really into JRPGs like that. If they were they’d own another system also.

JRPGs are too niche for Microsoft to bother with. They figured that out after Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Disagree, if persona 6 became a xbox exclusive persona fans would buy a xbox.....or "just play it on PC" since it would be 1st party

They'd lose the more casual persona rpg fans that just played it because it was an RPG on ps. But that's about it
What did the last Persona game sell like 5 million or so? That doesn’t really change the math because not every one of those 5 million (some were double dipping on Royal and Vanilla) comes over.

I don’t really see what Sega has that Microsoft needs.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
Took 5 years and selling the game for $5 to make it here.

Game struggles heavily early on.
You got it.
Most people aren’t gonna buy an Xbox just for Persona. That isn’t a system seller. A good chunk of their sales are still from Japan and if you stick Persona only on Xbox where the audience doesn’t care about it you’ll drastically reduce the sales and ultimately kill the franchise.

Bethesda made sense because Xbox gamers were interested in those games. They like stuff like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. Core Xbox gamers aren’t really into JRPGs like that. If they were they’d own another system also.

JRPGs are too niche for Microsoft to bother with. They figured that out after Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon.
I might be coming from a different mindset but if I like a game/studio and I k ow its on platform X, I buy that platform. Now if you are saying japan is inherently xenophobic and wouldn't purchase the console thats another story. However, They sure do play a lot of minecraft and and stuff like Apex legends so it seems like its less xenophobia and more to do with putting games on the console that japanese people want.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
You got it.

I might be coming from a different mindset but if I like a game/studio and I k ow its on platform X, I buy that platform. Now if you are saying japan is inherently xenophobic and wouldn't purchase the console thats another story. However, They sure do play a lot of minecraft and and stuff like Apex legends so it seems like its less xenophobia and more to do with putting games on the console that japanese people want.
Microsoft paid for Tales of Vesperia. They went on a whole run where they bankrolled several JRPGs to try and attract fans. It didn’t do much. You have to play to your audience and what interest them. Sony and Nintendo have JRPGs on lock. Those many niche titles that both platforms get won’t come to Xbox and all those add up to the fact that if you want a system to play JRPGs on Xbox ain’t it.

SCJoe

All Star
Daps
Microsoft paid for Tales of Vesperia. They went on a whole run where they bankrolled several JRPGs to try and attract fans. It didn’t do much. You have to play to your audience and what interest them. Sony and Nintendo have JRPGs on lock. Those many niche titles that both platforms get won’t come to Xbox and all those add up to the fact that if you want a system to play JRPGs on Xbox ain’t it.
I beleive if they go with a A level franchise like Persona, all of that can change.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What did the last Persona game sell like 5 million or so? That doesn’t really change the math because not every one of those 5 million (some were double dipping on Royal and Vanilla) comes over.

I don’t really see what Sega has that Microsoft needs.

It's mutually beneficial if you think about it, sega hasn't been popular in the states since the dreamcast. They aren't doing super bad it's just they aren't hot, and seen as "old" a new game from sega isn't turning any heads like that.

Heck a couple years ago on of the best sonic games since 3 dropped and while it got some headlines it wasn't like if a new 2d mario game dropped.

Xbox hasn't been popular in japan since ever... And sega has a ton of clout and respect in japan.

Then there's the money, a big part of sega in japan was it's physical print. With covid and arcades in general dying sega is starting to get left behind even more but this time on there home turf.

Microsoft alleviates that issue. Sega alleviates Microsoft lack of japanese games and presence.

It's a perfect fit

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's mutually beneficial if you think about it, sega hasn't been popular in the states since the dreamcast. They aren't doing super bad it's just they aren't hot, and seen as "old" a new game from sega isn't turning any heads like that.

Heck a couple years ago on of the best sonic games since 3 dropped and while it got some headlines it wasn't like if a new 2d mario game dropped.

Xbox hasn't been popular in japan since ever... And sega has a ton of clout and respect in japan.

Then there's the money, a big part of sega in japan was it's physical print. With covid and arcades in general dying sega is starting to get left behind even more but this time on there home turf.

Microsoft alleviates that issue. Sega alleviates Microsoft lack of japanese games and presence.

It's a perfect fit
I’d rather go after Capcom or even Konami. Hell I’d even get Kojima to freelance work in Metal Gear.

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Eqg3I3LW8AAN8w7

Where dafuq did you get this shyt from. :mjlol:

Jchr is

Banned
Daps
The Japanese will no go for Microsoft owning Capcom. Sega is a toss up as thats really a yakuza pump and dump.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Microsoft and Sega have actually had a decent relationship with each other for a couple decades now. if there were a large Japanese company for them to acquire you gotta figure they’re at least at the top of their list of prospects

Jchr is

Banned
Daps
Microsoft and Sega have actually had a decent relationship with each other for a couple decades now. if there were a large Japanese company for them to acquire you gotta figure they’re at least at the top of their list of prospects

Wasn't the Xbox basically whatever sega was doing? I remember when it launched I was eating off all the sega exclusives.

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Wasn't the Xbox basically whatever sega was doing? I remember when it launched I was eating off all the sega exclusives.

MS was considering buying them out to get into the console game way back before they started XBOX and also licensed a special version of windows for Dreamcast as well. SEGA was also one of the first major 3rd party publishers to back the original Xbox so you’ve gotta figure they have a solid business relationship :manny:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A potential Sega acquisition makes sense to us solely because we're not in Japan, frankly.

Yakuza 7 is a next gen exclusive to XBox, and (if that infographic from earlier is to be believed), it didn't make a difference. Still getting outsold by the PS4. The PS4.

Those don't become system sellers for Microsoft because the Japanese public just doesn't seem interested in the rest of the XBox lineup. They REALLY tried with JRPGs in the 360 generation, which was the height of the brand's popularity and quality. Still didn't matter.

So, from a Japanese standpoint, it'd be easy to see how they would think this would ultimately damage their two best brands right now (Persona and Yakuza) if they went exclusive worldwide. They'd really only protect themselves if, for some crazy reason, the games didn't go exclusive, or went exclusive everywhere BUT Japan. Doing either of those really doesn't help them break into Japan the way they seem to want to.

If anything, they'd be better off attempting to establish a Japanese studio with maybe some poached talent.