"Mr. Robot" Season 4 Official Thread

Oville

Pro
Daps
As far as Tyrell, his arc was fine. He was instrumental to the 5/9 hack, got duped into being a pawn for the system he tried to subvert (became a lame duck CEO for Dark Army) then gave his life for Elliot to make up for it.

Not sure what more people were expecting. :yeshrug:

I wish his wife would've stuck around a bit longer.

And Angela. But honestly I have no idea what exactly she'd be doing, with how season 4 unfolded.

Fred.

Well, first he didn't give his life for Elliot. He got shot within the same vicinity as him. Secondly, yea he pulled off the 5'9 hack with Elliot but really, that part of the storyline coulda easily taken place with an F Society member.

If that was gonna be his ultimate fate they coulda easily offed him early in season 3. Hell, it may have been more interesting to keep his wife around longer and have him die in the episode that she did instead. At least she moved with some kind of purpose. Tyrell, ultimately abandoned his corporate aspirations and became an anarchist all simply because he admired Elliot? shyt was so weak.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Well, first he didn't give his life for Elliot. He got shot within the same vicinity as him. Secondly, yea he pulled off the 5'9 hack with Elliot but really, that part of the storyline coulda easily taken place with an F Society member.

If that was gonna be his ultimate fate they coulda easily offed him early in season 3. Hell, it may have been more interesting to keep his wife around longer and have him die in the episode that she did instead. At least she moved with some kind of purpose. Tyrell, ultimately abandoned his corporate aspirations and became an anarchist all simply because he admired Elliot? shyt was so weak.

I don't mean the scene where he took a bullet. I mean the whole ep. The only other character I see going to those lengths to help Elliot, is Darlene.

Which I guess goes back to his admiration of Elliot. I don't get how that's weak when he approached Elliot in season 1, ep 1 and basically begged him to collaborate.

The 5/9 hack doesn't happen without Tyrell because he could've easily turned fsociety into the cops. Not to mention, nobody from fsociety was even around when Tyrell was helping Elliot.

If you're saying they could've swapped anyone out in those scenes....ok. But he was the only one willing to follow through with Stage 2, after fsociety went on the run. Hell, he even shot Elliot to make sure that happened. I don't see anyone else from fsociety going that far.

Fred.

iseetrolledpeople

A silent witness to all this trolling going on.
Daps
I don't really understand cats bringing up :damn: "the ratings fell!" and/or "it was cancelled!" as some kind of co-sign for their opinions of the show.

Both of those things apply to "The Wire". Which was actually, really cancelled. David Simon had to beg HBO to bring it back so he could somewhat wrap it up.

Meanwhile "Game Of Thrones" had a WOAT level final season and finale and it was watched by 20 million people. That's just how things are sometimes. :manny:

Fred.
I bet that it will do numbers in the future. Most people aren't watching it because they think it is about hackers, computers and nerds only.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I bet that it will do numbers in the future. Most people aren't watching it because they think it is about hackers, computers and nerds only.

I was thinking about this the other day. It's on Amazon Prime though, not sure what it's numbers are compared to something like Netflix.

Fred.

iseetrolledpeople

A silent witness to all this trolling going on.
Daps
Idk exact numbers, but seeing their catalogue I don't think many people buy the prime for the Video section.

Oville

Pro
Daps
I don't mean the scene where he took a bullet. I mean the whole ep. The only other character I see going to those lengths to help Elliot, is Darlene.

Which I guess goes back to his admiration of Elliot. I don't get how that's weak when he approached Elliot in season 1, ep 1 and basically begged him to collaborate.

The 5/9 hack doesn't happen without Tyrell because he could've easily turned fsociety into the cops. Not to mention, nobody from fsociety was even around when Tyrell was helping Elliot.

If you're saying they could've swapped anyone out in those scenes....ok. But he was the only one willing to follow through with Stage 2, after fsociety went on the run. Hell, he even shot Elliot to make sure that happened. I don't see anyone else from fsociety going that far.

Fred.

Yea but I don't think him shooting Elliot or him being involved in F Society at all was something that the story needed in order to get to the end point that it did.

Technically they coulda created a scenario where someone kills him off in order to pull off 5'9 and it wouldn't have changed a thing about how it affected the economy, and Elliot's personal struggles or his beef with White Rose.

Tyrell was one of the top 3 or so key figures if this season. His shadow was all over season 2 and he had a whole episode dedicated to him in season 3.

At the end of the day his character was a plot device to get to one part of the story to the next and it was a plot device that they theoretically could have achieved without his presence.

By the end if the show, he's made no impact on anyone cuz even Elliot barely gives a fukk about him if at all.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
I don't really understand cats bringing up :damn: "the ratings fell!" and/or "it was cancelled!" as some kind of co-sign for their opinions of the show.

Both of those things apply to "The Wire". Which was actually, really cancelled. David Simon had to beg HBO to bring it back so he could somewhat wrap it up.

Meanwhile "Game Of Thrones" had a WOAT level final season and finale and it was watched by 20 million people. That's just how things are sometimes. :manny:

Fred.
:stopitslime:
The Wire was around in a time before social media fueled the ascension of cult shows

Game of Thrones was the best show in existence during its rise. It's failures at the end are irrelevant to the ratings discussion

My entire point at bringing up the dwindling Mr Robot audience was to illustrate that Sham Lessmail is weak at connecting us emotionally with his work. That is why each season saw more and more people abandon the show. Because they didn't give a fukk about what was going on, and the whole cult of "theory crafting" doesn't apoeal to them.

I love reading all the Juelzing that occured in this thread immediately following the finale, excusing Sham's inability to deliver for that portion of the fandom. Instead, he tried to deliver to the portion of the fandom that seeks an emotional attachment to the characters....but it was never a strong suit of the show.

Some people still haven't learned from the leasons that LOST and GOT taught us. Don't invest too much into what you think will happen, because you will then have expectations that likely won't be met.

The difference here though is that LOST and GOT were all time great shows during their run and only got retroactively downgraded at the end. Mr Robot was NEVER on their level no matter what the Mr Robot subreddit would lead you to believe. So all yall nerds wasted your time for nothing
:mjlol:

At no point in time was this the best show on TV. GOT, Leftovers, Better Call Saul, and this year The Watchmen were all better in their given years.

And yes, I understand that this is only my opinion and some people may disagree with my notion that Sham is bad at connecting us to the plot/characters emotionally. But in an age where FOMO and social media drive rabid fans to constantly want to be a part of the next THE WIRE, the shrinking audience of Mr Robot spoke volumes

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:stopitslime:
The Wire was around in a time before social media fueled the ascension of cult shows

Game of Thrones was the best show in existence during its rise. It's failures at the end are irrelevant to the ratings discussion

My entire point at bringing up the dwindling Mr Robot audience was to illustrate that Sham Lessmail is weak at connecting us emotionally with his work. That is why each season saw more and more people abandon the show. Because they didn't give a fukk about what was going on, and the whole cult of "theory crafting" doesn't apoeal to them.

I love reading all the Juelzing that occured in this thread immediately following the finale, excusing Sham's inability to deliver for that portion of the fandom. Instead, he tried to deliver to the portion of the fandom that seeks an emotional attachment to the characters....but it was never a strong suit of the show.

Some people still haven't learned from the leasons that LOST and GOT taught us. Don't invest too much into what you think will happen, because you will then have expectations that likely won't be met.

The difference here though is that LOST and GOT were all time great shows during their run and only got retroactively downgraded at the end. Mr Robot was NEVER on their level no matter what the Mr Robot subreddit would lead you to believe. So all yall nerds wasted your time for nothing
:mjlol:

At no point in time was this the best show on TV. GOT, Leftovers, Better Call Saul, and this year The Watchmen were all better in their given years.

And yes, I understand that this is only my opinion and some people may disagree with my notion that Sham is bad at connecting us to the plot/characters emotionally. But in an age where FOMO and social media drive rabid fans to constantly want to be a part of the next THE WIRE, the shrinking audience of Mr Robot spoke volumes

The problem with your logic is "Mr. Robot" is one of the most critically acclaimed shows of the year. 97% on RT, 96% audience score. 81% on Metacritic.

4 out of the top 10 shows of all time on IMDB (as voted by fans) are "Mr. Robot" episodes. If this shyt was received like "GOT" I could kinda understand, but the vast majority of people (critics and fans, alike) seem to be pretty fukking happy with the end result. You aren't? Ok cool. But don't project that onto the rest of the world.

I don't get why you cats aren't content with just saying "I don't like it". You gotta go into other shyt that isn't quantifiable. There is no correlation between quality and success, which is why I mentioned "The Wire". There's no proof people tuned out because "they couldn't connect with the characters" or whatever kind of weird shyt you're selling. There's no proof the audience at large wasn't happy with the finale.

"The Wire" was routinely in jeopardy of being cancelled, so it wouldn't have had a large social media presence, anyway. There was "Wire" threads on SOHH same as any other show. This was in the early 00's, not the 90's.

Hell, forget "The Wire". Some of the greatest movies of all time flopped. Sometimes great music flops.

Occasionally something is great and the public at large doesn't notice. That's life. I don't get how you got an MF DOOM avy, but can't grasp this.

And I'm :dead: at "don't invest too much into what you think will happen" in relation to "Lost" and "GOT". Because that wasn't what happened. The problem was they were making it up as they went along, and the writing fell off a cliff, respectively.

Fred

Daps
It stuck the landing yall crazy. It didnt answer some questions but it was a solid ending and it was a fantastic show. The cinematography story, characters and the constant mindfukks were amazing week to week.

And theres so many layers and hints all over the place. Connecting the dots has been so fun each season.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yea but I don't think him shooting Elliot or him being involved in F Society at all was something that the story needed in order to get to the end point that it did.

Technically they coulda created a scenario where someone kills him off in order to pull off 5'9 and it wouldn't have changed a thing about how it affected the economy, and Elliot's personal struggles or his beef with White Rose.

Tyrell was one of the top 3 or so key figures if this season. His shadow was all over season 2 and he had a whole episode dedicated to him in season 3.

At the end of the day his character was a plot device to get to one part of the story to the next and it was a plot device that they theoretically could have achieved without his presence.

By the end if the show, he's made no impact on anyone cuz even Elliot barely gives a fukk about him if at all.

Yeah....we're gonna have to agree to disagree breh. If he don't shoot Elliot, Stage 2 doesn't happen. And like I said, I don't see anybody else being crazy enough to take it that far.

Fred.

StretfordRed

Afro-European
Daps
Loved the music, cinematography but in the end i felt the ending was very underwhelming :manny:

Basically.

I’m fully open to confusing, overlapping, non-linear timeframes but this just didn’t hit this last season. Especially that nothing was out right answers except for him being mentally ill.

All the conspiracies about time warping, etc was all BS in the end. Just seemed like a muddled ending.

TBH I’m done with it. Love this thread but ain’t feeling the over analysis of scenes and probably won’t be going back to past episodes.